List of Minor Faults (C-Class)

pittallen

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread of minor items (like general wear and tear) that have broken on C-Class (especially 02+)....you know the type, the ones that make you think that really should have lasted a bit longer. Will be interesting to see if newer 05+ models have already been picked up by MB, and improvements applied (maybe new owners can confirm?)

For me the following items play up/stopped working with little or no use:

1) Front Interior Light - The doors open position to turn on lights just stopped working. Lasted about 2 years.

2) Windscreen Water - The button to press for water takes a least 3 presses before I get anything on screen, even with full bottle. Lasted about 2 years.

3) Back Window Speakers - These rattle when base is set to anything above average (Level 4). Moving sound more to front of car solves this.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi pittallen

I've owned my first Merc' for just about 1yr. In that time I've replaced two indicator bulbs, a windscreen wiper blade and the battery. I've just replaced all four tyres. None of these are really faults. I think I can claim to be lucky because Mercedes does seem to have acquired a bit of a problem with quality control.

I did have a corrosion problem sorted under warranty and I know I will be making a further claim. Is this a fault? I guess so (thin paint) but probably not the definition you had in mind when making your inquiry. I'm guessing, but probably you are inquiring about electrical and mechanical faults?

REGARDS Phil

OP
P

pittallen

Reaction score
Phil,

To be honest I would say thin paint etc would count, especially as Merc push the 30 year paint thing around a bit.

The last thing any of us want is within 12 months drive our new car to find that we are taking it back cause of paint issues.

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
We've got a C Class on a 53 plate and we've only had one potentially expensive fault which was the supercharger needing replacing earlier this month. Fortunately it was covered under the warranty, but it was down to my partners uncanny knack of hearing noises no one else can hear and knowing what they might be that led to this being discovered quickly.

Minor faults have been the rear wiper motor having a dry bearing which makes it squeak really loud and a clicking noise on one of the windows when you close it, which Mercedes said they had sorted out, but hadn't.

C

Chris Bottomley

Hi Pitallen
Some problems with a C270 CDI on a 51 plate which I have had from new, but certainly not the horrors which others seems to experience. Recurring faults are with glow plugs and front suspension bushes. The brake switch went at 43k and the air mass meter at 50k. Cost me £48 for the amm which apparently follows a very recent massive reduction because so many fail that it is now a specified replacement item at service. Seems to blow bulbs too at the rear ore frequently than it should. Oh yes, and there is an annoying rattle at the rear on any road with a poor surface that no-one can find.

OP
P

pittallen

Reaction score
Chris,

The rear rattle sounds like it could be the plastic speaker covers?

Martin

OP
P

pittallen

Reaction score
littlebrooklyn said:
Minor faults have been the rear wiper motor having a dry bearing which makes it squeak really loud and a clicking noise on one of the windows when you close it, which Mercedes said they had sorted out, but hadn't.

I presume this is an estate version?

davidC200K

Reaction score
I have one on a 52 plate. Generally very happy with it.

As far as warranty work is concerned I had one problem affecting the ABS, EPS and Cruise Control which was down to a steering sensor. On another occassion I had a knocking noise from front steering sorted by a replacement bush. Both done under warranty and dealt with very efficiently by the dealership. In fact when the knocking occured I just drove it into the dealer without an appointment and it was fixed while I waited which is pretty good.

Electrical: Defective Horns and it does appear to blow rear bulbs more frequently. Seem to get a run of them and then they settle down.

I recently replaced the gear shift gaitor. You need to buy the whole thing with the gear knob attached. £50 inc vat. Easy to fit.

My only real complaint is that I asked them to look at the black plastic door cill covers which surround the polished aluminium plates. The plastic is brittle and breaking up. Looks crap. Dealership was not keen to replace them under warranty. They are only £26 each but I am buggered if I'll pay them that hourly rate to fit them.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
This is all very odd. From general comments (mostly from people who have declared that their next car will be a lexus), I am led to believe that you should all be complaining how shoddy your cars are and that you have all had new gearboxes, at least 1 ECU each, a CAT, at least 1 high speed brake failure, 4 unresolved breakdowns and a massive list of other faults. Oh and that all your cars veer dangerously to the left.

Given how complex the cars are and how many components they have on them these days I would also expect to hear the same list of faults over and over again - but this doesn't seem to be the case either.

It seems that certain minor bits of trim are perhaps not as good as they could be, though probably still comparable to ford/toyota etc, and the rest are minor bits like the odd door switch or sensor. I also suspect that you are finding that your cars are ageing far better than the comparable ford or vauxhall too.

Given that the invoice price of my 1995 C220 was £26,000 and a comparable 2006 C200k with a higher standard spec is little different, I don't think its half bad!
Sure there is room for improvement, but generally I often think the down side is too frequently overstated.

davidC200K

Reaction score
jberks

I agree. Given the complexity of these cars very little has gone wrong and I am pleased with mine. Its comfortable, safe, the climate control is superb and there is no way that it looks or feels like a three year old car. Normally I would be champing at the bit to replace it by now, but I am not.

I also think that other people take care around it. Its the first car I have had that has no dents at all along its sides due to people carelessly opening doors against it.

Its due a B service in 4k and I probably will bite the bullet and fork out to the dealership for that but for any other repairs that are beyond me I will use an indie.

mercman_1

Reaction score
51 C200k

List of defects all replaced under warranty

First was the track control arms replaced twice.
Rear No Plate replaced twice(water penitration)the third plate I payed for still perfect after two years
Windscreen wiper complete assembly. Was clunking loadly
Windscreen, broken by mechanic whilst fitting wiper motor
Differential oil seal,
Diff started whinning next day,
Diff replaced the next.

The car is now out of warranty,
the windscreen washer control needs about two or three pushes to get it to work,(seen this crop up on several threads)
the door striker plates all came loose
Nearside front jacking point fell off

Dr Claire

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I am surprised that JDPower Survey is not mentioned much in this forum
Claire

Highlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K, C240
littlebrooklyn said:
We've got a C Class on a 53 plate and we've only had one potentially expensive fault which was the supercharger needing replacing earlier this month. .
Hi
I have a C230K with 9 months warranty left. Although I have no engine problems at present I would be interested to know what symptoms to look out for regarding compressor failure.

bitonw

Reaction score
Website
www.bit4net.com
The windscreen washer fault is an return valve, had mine replaced under warranty last week. Excellent service, they (Mercedes Coventry) collect the car from my work, repaired it and brought it back fully washed! They give me an update by phone and the was it... Well for me that's how it should be.

Bear in mind that Mercedes Birmingham Central had no interrest in me as customer. Very arrogant people and very stupid since I was looking for a good garage to service my car, in need of an B service very soon.

PS. I come from a fuel eating Lexus (had even 2 of them).

Last edited:

Darrell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W202, 1994 W124, 1998 Chrysler Grand Voyager, old 50cc scooter and a Honda CRF 250
We have a 48,000 miler 1997 C180 that we have only bought 4 tyres for in 3 years.We bought it with a full Merc history but now take it to our local garage for it's service.The car has been fantastic and we won't be replacing it for a year or two.Thats when the problems start as what do we replace it with?.
On the other hand,my sister has a 54 plate C180 Kompressor,she has had it from new and said she will never have one again.It's been back to Mercedes Watford 7 times with problems.By the way,they are the most arrogant people in the world.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Chris Bottomley said:
Hi Pitallen
Some problems with a C270 CDI on a 51 plate which I have had from new, but certainly not the horrors which others seems to experience. Recurring faults are with glow plugs and front suspension bushes. The brake switch went at 43k and the air mass meter at 50k. Cost me £48 for the amm which apparently follows a very recent massive reduction because so many fail that it is now a specified replacement item at service. Seems to blow bulbs too at the rear ore frequently than it should. Oh yes, and there is an annoying rattle at the rear on any road with a poor surface that no-one can find.
Some cars have mods to stop the rear bulbs from blowing, ask your MB dealer to look it up to see if it apllies to your car.

malcolm

peter longstreeth

Reaction score
Hi Pittallen, with reference to your questions.
1) Front Interior Light, Check to see if this has been disabled

2) Windscreen Water - The button to press for water takes a least 3 presses before I get anything on screen, even with full bottle. Lasted about 2 years. Check to see if the none return valve is not stuck, by taking out & blowing from each direction, it should only work one way

3) Back Window Speakers, Has they rattled since you have had the car, if so you may need to upgrade
If they have just started to rattle check grills or loose fitting speakers,or parcel shelf or the speakers magnets have shifted which means new speakers

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom