Looking at R321 Need Advice please

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 (R230) & CLK350 (W209)
Am going to look at an R231 advertised by an MB dealer. The car was 1st registered at the end of March 2014. According to the VIN decoder this car was delivered on the 20th June 2013.

There is about £3k difference between 2013 & 2014 registered cars of similar mileage and spec available from MB dealers.

So my 1st question: is the car registered in March 2014 actually a 2013 car in price and build terms? Or is its 'age', and thus its asking price, governed by when it was 1st registered?

The same car is said to have had one owner. It was serviced at 10k5, 12k5, 18k8 miles, but nothing in the 8k miles after that (being sold @ 26k5 miles). Should I read anything sinister into this?

This car also rides on 19 inch wheels with sports suspension. Do those with an R231 and a similar setup find the ride harsh on our potholed roads?

Finally besides asking:

For a sight of all invoices (dealer says it has serviced the car throughout)

If there are any problems with the car (including water leaks)

For confirmation that everything works on the car.

For confirmation that the latest s/ware & h/ware for the DAB radio is installed

That the most up to date Nav maps and s/ware are installed

For a full B Service (or its equivalent) to be carried out pre purchase.

is there anything else I should be looking to check?

All info/guidance/help gratefully received

Thanks and all best wishes for 2019

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I'd want to have a look at brake pad thickness as another negotiating point. Tyre tread depth as well
Will car mats be supplied ?

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Worth finding out when the gearbox ATF and filter is scheduled , could be coming up time wise even though the mileage is low .

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Am going to look at an R231 advertised by an MB dealer. The car was 1st registered at the end of March 2014. According to the VIN decoder this car was delivered on the 20th June 2013.

There is about £3k difference between 2013 & 2014 registered cars of similar mileage and spec available from MB dealers.

So my 1st question: is the car registered in March 2014 actually a 2013 car in price and build terms? Or is its 'age', and thus its asking price, governed by when it was 1st registered?

The same car is said to have had one owner. It was serviced at 10k5, 12k5, 18k8 miles, but nothing in the 8k miles after that (being sold @ 26k5 miles). Should I read anything sinister into this?

This car also rides on 19 inch wheels with sports suspension. Do those with an R231 and a similar setup find the ride harsh on our potholed roads?

Finally besides asking:

For a sight of all invoices (dealer says it has serviced the car throughout)

If there are any problems with the car (including water leaks)

For confirmation that everything works on the car.

For confirmation that the latest s/ware & h/ware for the DAB radio is installed

That the most up to date Nav maps and s/ware are installed

For a full B Service (or its equivalent) to be carried out pre purchase.

is there anything else I should be looking to check?

All info/guidance/help gratefully received

Thanks and all best wishes for 2019

Its not that unusual for these cars to hang around between manufacture and sale. But when you come to sell/trade in it is definitely a 2013! I think you only said R231 - is it a 500 or a 350? At that age the smaller engine car will be a 350 not the 3.0 litre twin turbo 400. There is a difference in VED £500 pa vs £250pa. The 500 engine may also have been changed?

If you are buying from an MB dealer he should be able to print out the full digital service record for you which will confirm any ATF changes (very much doubt it at 26k) and more mundane things like brake fluid and pad changes. Mine came on new tyres at 11k so definitely not the originals. It will also tell you what servicing is needed and when, not necessarily a B. Servicing on these, like all current MB's is 1 year or 15500 miles so if the car is somewhere near these limits I would expect the dealer to service it according to schedule.

The 19" wheels should be fine. The car was designed around 19" wheels but don't expect an E Class ride - it is a sports car of sorts.

I'm chancing my arm here but the leaks for which the R230 was famous seem to have been sorted on the R231. It is a much better car.

Good luck.

OP
C

crippo2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its not that unusual for these cars to hang around between manufacture and sale. But when you come to sell/trade in it is definitely a 2013!
Many thanks for this - I thought it might be so, but good to have the confirmation
I think you only said R231 - is it a 500 or a 350? At that age the smaller engine car will be a 350 not the 3.0 litre twin turbo 400. There is a difference in VED £500 pa vs £250pa. The 500 engine may also have been changed?
It is the 350 - quite speedy enough for me. Also I believe better balanced, with the lighter engine and less 'engineering' generally

If you are buying from an MB dealer he should be able to print out the full digital service record for you which will confirm any ATF changes (very much doubt it at 26k) and more mundane things like brake fluid and pad changes. Mine came on new tyres at 11k so definitely not the originals. It will also tell you what servicing is needed and when, not necessarily a B. Servicing on these, like all current MB's is 1 year or 15500 miles so if the car is somewhere near these limits I would expect the dealer to service it according to schedule.
Again many thanks

The 19" wheels should be fine. The car was designed around 19" wheels but don't expect an E Class ride - it is a sports car of sorts.
My R230 is on 18" wheels and is generally comfortable. did not want a bone shaker of a ride!

I'm chancing my arm here but the leaks for which the R230 was famous seem to have been sorted on the R231. It is a much better car.
Good luck.
I have been very lucky with the R230 and do not want to swap known good for unknown iffy!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Water leaks no longer a problem, if you can stretch to a 400 do as the 350 was quickly replaced by MB as the earlier engine came under a lot of criticism for being under powered and apparently they recognised this as an issue. Also all the earlier issues were ironed out by time of launch of the 400.

I will try and find my research material when looking into the R232 and post links for you..

Mercedes SL500 R231

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom