Looking for a cheap Mercedes Estate..

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
An undiagnosed problem may not be obvious to me but it may be the kind of thing encountered by half the population of this forum and immediately recognisable to them, hence the post. However, if it’s remotely more complicated than changing a few bolts it’s really not worth pursuing. It’s a great shame because in all other respects this car is stunning. The exterior is clean without any dents and scratches and the interior is equally immaculate. It’s a late model CDI with low mileage and loaded with all the options I’m looking for. Basically it’s the exact car/model I’ve been looking for and it’s 15mins away from me. The only 2 other similar ones I’ve found in the country are several hours away. Hence my question. As it stands though I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something more major like the torque converter. No way of knowing really without getting an expensive RAC exam and then walking away. Like I say, a shame, but I’ll have to settle for something older and with higher miles, but in the long run that’ll hopefully be a better choice..

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That looks good Malcolm, think that again why a focus is needed....original brief 1/1.5k but really to get what's wanted and sensible maybe 3/4K makes sense....

ansta1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s500LWB/2002
That looks nice and no advisory notes on last MOT's which is a good thing IMhO.

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Yes, I spoke to him last week and agree it looks good too. That was the other one I was referring to. Very far from me (Doncaster) which makes things difficult as I only have a day off work now and then, but it's one of my Plan-B's. The other being the one in Norwich which comes with 6 months warranty.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes, I spoke to him last week and agree it looks good too. That was the other one I was referring to. Very far from me (Doncaster) which makes things difficult as I only have a day off work now and then, but it's one of my Plan-B's. The other being the one in Norwich which comes with 6 months warranty.

It's the name of the game unfortunately (travel) we have the benefit of the Internet nowadays but to find and buy the right car can involve quite a bit of travelling. I was lucky with my 212, I did as much research as possible prior to travelling the 150 miles to view the car and even then I wasn't sure until I saw the car in the flesh. Getting a true indication from the salesman is nigh on impossible on the phone as they tend to be evasive especially regarding bodywork. I nearly travelled up to Blackpool to view a car but luckily the salesman sent a video which confirmed that the car had suffered a panel respray, buyer beware unfortunately

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I'm not too far away from Doncaster so could take a look for you if you like?

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
I will be contemplating selling my 2002 w210 e320cdi Avant-garde 7 Seater Estate soon, Always kept in great condition and does not have any Rust, mechanically and electrically sound car. with all of the Avant-garde goodies, reason is, I want to down size now my Family is getting more grown up and don't want to go out with Mum and Dad so much, so I'll be looing at a saloon car rather than the Estate. Let me know if you might be interested.

BAZZER1

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
I'm not too far away from Doncaster so could take a look for you if you like?

Thank you Matty, that's a very kind offer! The seller is a little off the beaten track having spoken to him and I would still need to figure out how and when to get there. I am tending towards the one in Norwich (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C270-2-7TD-auto-2005MY-Sport-Edition-/301880623292) which is equally attractive, albeit a couple of years older with 20k more on the clock. However it's very well spec'ed with only one owner and also a sunroof is quite rare to find and a welcome addition. It's trade so comes with a 6 month independent parts/labour warranty and the trader assures me it's genuinely as good as it looks. Since I can get a coach to Norwich quite easily for about a fiver I think the practical thing would be to put an offer in for it and stop looking any further. Would anyone suggest otherwise, or sound a note of caution?

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Essentially you are looking at two different engines, the 2.7 diesel 5 cylinder on 141k miles and the 2.1 diesel 4 cylinder on 115k miles. The 2.7 is a good engine but is going to heavier on fuel especially in the London area and has covered 25k more miles so my money would be on the 2.1 engine which is bulletproof unless you need the extra power of the 2.7

OP
E

efunc

Reaction score
Thanks, that's interesting. No, the power isn't essential. I agree, a 2.1 is sufficient, but I guess they're fairly closely specced. The alternatives are mainly 180k and 230v6 petrols, so both CDIs are preferable in terms of fuel economy, and I probably can't go far wrong with either of them. Food for thought. I'll give them a bell today, and have one last trawl through the classifieds before deciding.

Top Bottom