Low range flashing

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 kompresser convertable, 2001 Citroen c2 Audi A3, jaguar xj6 and big scanias !
guys I know there is already a post about this, I just can't find it now !!!!
I have a high mile, 140k ml 350, 3.7 petrol. 53 plate. On start up the low range light flashes several times. Now according to the ( mythical ) original post this is indicative of a faulty motor, easily replaced under neath, but my question is will it cause damage as it is? I do no off road, and don't predict the need for it. That doesn't mean I will just leave it indefinitely, just will it wreck my box!!!!!?
Scott

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
It shouldn't do, it just means that the low range won't work should you need it to lock on a really slippery surface.

Check the low range hasn't been activated. There is a way to check, I think you hold the button in for 5 seconds with the ignition at pos 2, check your manual to be sure.

OP
S

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Clk 200 kompresser convertable, 2001 Citroen c2 Audi A3, jaguar xj6 and big scanias !
Thank you !! Will check, there were children in it, what does this do ? Poke! I'll let you know !!

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
Those motors are usually very reliable. They are grease filled and can be cleaned and refilled with new grease.
There is also a sensor that "reads" whether the gears are in low or high range. This sensor is adjustable. If it gets out of whack, the system thinks the gear is not properly engaged and will flash the light (when in high range on startup). Get the adjustment looked at.
If you make an attempt to engage low range in neutral when box is hot, it may engage. If so, when you once again press the button, it may properly engage high range again and the light may not flash on the next restart until the out of adjustment sensor once again thinks it is wrong - that can take a few days or restarts. Just have a play with it before spending any real money.

Ian.

OP
S

splitshift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Everyone!!! No money spent at all !! After trawling all the relevant and irrelevant posts, I did the low range engaging , all good, disengaged properly too !! Light off. No flashing!!!! Damned kids at only going in the back from now !!!!
Thank you to all !!! I remember back in the pre internet days, this would have cost hours labour and no doubt scratching heads to get fixed !!!thank you !

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom