Lowering

230ceBruno

Reaction score
Is there any way of lowering a 124 to a max of about 15mm. I read a post in the 124 gallery calling someone elses coupe a tractor due to the gap between his wheel arch and wheel. Since then every time I look at Bruno I think tractor.

I dont want to lose ride comfort so any advice welcome.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is there any way of lowering a 124 to a max of about 15mm. I read a post in the 124 gallery calling someone elses coupe a tractor due to the gap between his wheel arch and wheel. Since then every time I look at Bruno I think tractor.

I dont want to lose ride comfort so any advice welcome.

Do a search on 124 suspension, if you drop 15-20mm you may have to reset the camber.Its done with the rubbers on top of the springs.

Malcolm

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
I've never understood this lowering business.

Better to buy a sports car, then its already low.

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
Actually I'm looking more 10 - 15mm if anyone has an idea of something that will not exceed this range. The point is not to go fast just to cover the gap btwn the arch and wheel, the obvious stability and handling gains are welcome too but \i like the ride comfort

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And they're illusory. The belief that all cars handle better when lowered is erroneous. It depends where the roll centres are on the car

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Very true Nck,the main reason for the different rubbers was to compensate for the different wieghts of the engines in the range, and not to lower the car

Malcolm

shj

Reaction score
At one point I lowered my E320 Coupe,Ok it did'nt look like a tractor any more,but it definately felt like one,my wide ish 215/55/16 tyres did'nt much like it either.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
At one point I lowered my E320 Coupe,Ok it did'nt look like a tractor any more,but it definately felt like one,my wide ish 215/55/16 tyres did'nt much like it either.

As you say Shj, I think this is a very delicate subject. Car makers do spend huge amounts of money on this balance, Though my car has ABC suspension
the 17" that were standard in 2002 had an option of 18". from 2006 the 19" became an option. The 18" give the best all round performance in my view.

Most cars that I have traveled in that have been lowered are not very comfortable as a normal car.

malcolm

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
Are there no springs that R good enough to lower slightly and still give a very close to comfort ride? What about the eibachs?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once you start on changing springs you can be in big trouble,just change the rubbers and you will lower the car.

Thats my view Malcolm

OP

230ceBruno

Reaction score
What is the max one can go with the rubbers before ride comfort is affected? Were the rubbers changed with the later coupes they look like they ride lower?

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is the max one can go with the rubbers before ride comfort is affected? Were the rubbers changed with the later coupes they look like they ride lower?

I believe that the rubbers were used to compensate for the different weights of the engines. By changing the rubbers the ride would not be affected.

I gave you the list a bit further back 23mm

Malcolm

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
230ceBruno

Malcolm is quite correct to suggest changing the top rubbers cups depending on the size of the existing cups.

That way your ride comfort will not be affected at all.

FIRST STEP is to establish the thickness of the existing cups.

On the front suspension turn the wheels to the far extreme lock.

Get a torch and see if you can see how many burls/lugs are hanging from the lowerside of the rubber cups which are top end of the springs.

Around the entire circumference of the rubber cup they are only hanging in three places around the rim, so it may be difficult to see at first.

ONE burl/lug is the thinest and 4 burls/lugs are the thickest.

So, if you have existing 4 burls/lugs and you change to a rubber pad with 3 burls/lugs you will lower the car by NOT just the 5mm difference in pad height but a mutliplication factor due to the suspension geometry.

You will lower the car by 9mm. The pads cost something like £3 each.

You could go buy a pad first so that you know what they are like and what you should be looking for on the car.

Last edited:

sid2k7

Reaction score
Are there no springs that R good enough to lower slightly and still give a very close to comfort ride? What about the eibachs?

I once fitted eibach springs and new standard dampers to a W201, made a massive difference to the ride quality and handling. Lowered about 30mm, no problems with speed humps ect. Fitted with 15" merc alloys and good quality tires (always).
Owned car for 7 years in lowered form, a real pleasure to drive.

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Lowering - Bilstein Kit?

230ce - I gon't know whether your car's suspension is worn out as mine was - if not, perhaps this is too costly a solution.

I had a Bilstein B12 (springs & dampers) kit fitted. It's great. I didn't check prices but I felt that £550 for new springs and dampers was reasonable.

After a while, it settled down a bit and I think the front is a bit low. Thicker spring pads should be the answer here but it's not urgent.

However, if you're happy with the way the car rides and handles and it's purely a cosmetic issue, thinner spring padds may be the answer - assuming you're not on the thinnest already!

All the best.

RayH

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Other problems can arise if you lower the car too much and the camber angle will need setting up again

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Once you have lowered it you will then be able/forced to watch out for speed ramps and the like, I didn't and it cost me a sump pan, hitting the brakes just before impact didn't help since that lowers the car even further.

Gazzaj

Reaction score
I lowered my W124, only slightly, it was more for up rating purposes, and its fantastic. there are so many things to consider as I found out, even down to what type of sunroof you have can make a weight difference according to Eibach. I found Roadrunner motor sports to be absolutely fantastic, and really well priced too. they went through everything and got it spot on.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom