LPG for ML with family pack

scotspen

Reaction score
We have been thinking about fitting an LPG gas conversion to our 2003 ML500. It has family pack (7 seats) so space may be tight but are prepared to lose a seat.

Has anybody had the gas conversion done? We dont know who we could trust, also are there any drawbacks to having this done?

Any help on this would be most appreciated

Pen and Shad :confused:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wouldn't do it, there are quite a few threads on the forum discussing LPG so pls have a search around. I would seriously look at the professional fitting costs for a system against fuel savings. If you want a more econonical ML the 270cdi or the new 320cdi are pretty decent and both can have their ecu's remapped for more power.
I thought you wanted to increase performance for your ML converting to LPG will reduce it.

OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
Its getting beyond a joke now, when my man is away at work on his monthly rotation the car only gets used locally but in the first week he has been away it has drank 3/4 of the tank. It is going to eat into other future plans we have. I heard somewhere about government aid towards the cost. We had a few quotes for a full fitment and it is around the 2k mark. We think this shall be benificial otherwise we shall have to think twice before going on an impulse long journey, which occures frequently when he's home!

I shall look into government aid towards the unit and fitting costs.
Thanks for that, off to look at previous discussions

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Last edited:
OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
Am about to enquire to the energy saving trust. They can help you claim back a percentage of the costs, one chap on here had a £2300 fitting and a grant from energy trust for £800 towards it.

I have recieved a quote for £2150 with £500 discount using "the most sophisticated The range may be an issue and they can be prone to melt pistons, this is a risk that we shall consider, I am hoping that the injection system will be sufficient for the amount of fuel it needs.

OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
Ok then, one other concern to take into consideration. After reading the last post i looked up, there is a chance the government shall stop the tax breaks or reduce them. Hmm... this is a real concern. Gordon Brown is filling Tony's boots and he's an accountant. This cannot be good.

I phoned Energy Trust, the grants have now been stopped for the LPG conversions, this took place around 2 years ago.

If we are going to do it then it shall have to be with a very competitively priced company, then we may be compromising in quality.... hmmm...

We have sold the Mondeo as it was about to die and dont really want the expense of another car. The 500 is far too nice to replace.... decisions...
lol... still very interested in the conversion...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a Diesel ML is your answer.

OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
£1650.00 all in, using the spare wheel housing for the doughnut tank.... very good deal...

OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
my man is a power freek, he would rather take the hit for the fuel than give the car up.

Andy Wr

Reaction score
The ML270 cdi is surprisingly good, I am chuffed to bits with mine, it accelerates strongly and when the turbo kicks in you do get a kick in the pants, I am curious how much more a chip or remap will improve the power delivery.

OP
S

scotspen

Reaction score
It should make a noticeable difference. Our Lancia has been fitted with a performance chip. It reduces the fuel consumption slightly when not boosting but when you accelerate hard it is like a different car, very quick (but then it drinks).

A friend of mine had a chip fitted to his Audi turbo diesel and the improvements were great. I dont know if it lowered his mpg during normal everyday driving but it pulled much harder when accelerating.

This is why I originally thought about fitting an aftermarket chip to the Mercedes, if you buy a good quality chip it can help the car run better and lower the mpg when not driving agressively. After running the car for a month we now realise that a chip will not be enough. The boot space being taken up by a horrible gas tank does not really appeal either, space is a premium, the spare wheel holder is a brilliant idea, just carry a canister of tyre weld.

Shad (Pen's man), stuck in the sahara riding the sand dunes.

The only thing that worries me now is the tank size, the company I am speaking with only seems to offer the 62 ltr tank. I dont know how many miles i would get out of it and I dont know the locations of the lpg stations.
I did a google search for the garages which participate but they ask you for money to see the map. I would feel somewhat robbed paying for this....

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom