M Class

RedD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML55
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
I've just come across the forum when trying to do research on the M Class.

For years I've been a Discovery driver, but recently when shopping for my latest I have been disappointed with what's on offer. I'm now thinking of a ML270 and would be grateful for any comments good or bad, am I doing the right thing? I would be looking at a 4-5 year old model. (auto,lux,family)

I assume it would tow a 3000kg trailer OK?

Thank's in advance.

nicky

Banned
Reaction score
If you want it for pulling a trailer i think you would be wise to stay with the discovery,the ml is a very soft 4x4 and is more suited for the school run or the supermarket.....Disco's have proved themselves over the years and are used in every corner of the world...Sorry if the truth hurts...but it is fact..

OP
RedD

RedD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML55
Thanks for the comments, I must admit I'm 50/50 at the moment, can't decide which way to go.

Does the ML have a particular weak point you should look for when viewing?

I'm put off the TD5 Disco a little by the stories concerning reliabilaty, and the ones I've looked at have had more rust than I would have liked for the age.

What I'm trying to do is use one car instead of two, at the moment the wife drives a Saab and I drive a Disco, so I'm trying to get the best of both worlds.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
3000 Kg trailer

If you want to tow a 3000 Kg trailer effectively you're going to be pretty limited in your choice. Assuming you don't want a pickup-based vehicle like a Warrior you'd probably be best off with a big Japanese 4x4 like a Patrol or an Amazon. Or stick with what you know and get a Range Rover

It looks like the maximum towing weight for an ML is 3500 Kg but I wouldn't want to tow 3 tons behind a 2 ton vehicle on a regular basis:

Mercedes towing weights
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/mercedes.htm

Personally I'd look at a V10 Diesel VW Toerag as they don't shout "I'm a ******" like the BMW X5 and some other 4x4s

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

blassberg

Reaction score
RedD said:
Does the ML have a particular weak point you should look for when viewing?
What I'm trying to do is use one car instead of two
The 270 required a new set of glowplugs at about 80k, though that's not unreasonable? About 50k it cut out at 120ish but rolled politely to a stop. I think the ECU was updated. Other than that only good memories for me.
I found it made a good town and motorway car, puller of other vehicles stuck in a fields, estate and was "relatively" entertaining to drive "quick". Average 380-400 miles from a 70 litre tank. It was the team bus for four years, carrying seven adults to away games.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom