M157 tuning.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The old noisy taxi, was a great car Dave but we all knew you were getting bored with it. I think the video was from the last Dyno day but I can find it either

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I started that way with downpipes and a map (Weistec). Then decided that the air intake wasn't up to supplying enough air so changed that for one with wider pipes and performance filters (Alpha Performance). Then realised that the turbos weren't big enough to cope with my newly found air, so upgraded them (Weistec again). Then decided that the transmission wasn't tough enough to cope with the new power so had that rebuilt. (Yes, Weistec)

I ended up with 860bhp & c950ft/lbs. The new owner has gone even higher since, whilst maintaining the car's driveability.

All the work was done by MSL and, as a guinea pig for the systems, I got an excellent deal. :)

Just be aware that the company you've linked to are not very well thought of. Read their reviews and go to someone who knows and understands these cars and can do your mapping to suit the individual mods using a rolling road.

Many thanks for this info. I know CKS are a bit :( I have tuned a fair few of my MB's so know who to speak with most of the time, it was just an easy link for power and not many tuners give concrete numbers on the M157's as it really appears to be on a car by car basis. I suppose its detonation limited.

It does seem that downpipes and a map is the way to go, but nobody was able to supply catted downpipes for the 216 and I do not want to drive around without cats, for a few reasons.

I am still on the fence as to change or turbo swap the S class. The V12 is something special, especially now that they have announced no more V12's, but its a lot of work and I would need to find a tuning partner in the UK as the supplier of the turbos is in UAW.

I remember swinging past MSL and seeing your turbo's sat there ready to go on!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

Embarrassingly there were also two dodgy blokes in the back seat including Jerry, the owner of Eurocharged, who was responsible for tweaking the map at the time. :)

Many thanks for this info. I know CKS are a bit :( I have tuned a fair few of my MB's so know who to speak with most of the time, it was just an easy link for power and not many tuners give concrete numbers on the M157's as it really appears to be on a car by car basis. I suppose its detonation limited.

It does seem that downpipes and a map is the way to go, but nobody was able to supply catted downpipes for the 216 and I do not want to drive around without cats, for a few reasons.

I am still on the fence as to change or turbo swap the S class. The V12 is something special, especially now that they have announced no more V12's, but its a lot of work and I would need to find a tuning partner in the UK as the supplier of the turbos is in UAW.

The problem we found with the M157 is that everyone which was put on the Dyno in "standard" tune gave a different reading, though all were higher than the factory quoted figures. This basically means that a generic map cannot be guaranteed so it has to be adjusted for each individual car.

An interesting alternative to Weistec stuff has been posted on the OTHER FORUM by a friend who's currently playing with a CLS63, trying, and succeeding, to get it to obscene power levels. :)

I remember swinging past MSL and seeing your turbo's sat there ready to go on!

They travelled a long way those turbos. California and back, though they had the transmission and the ECU to keep them company on their journey. :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Echoing above- no 157 is the same.
I’ve known 63s which had factory spec 585 BHP which Dyno’d stock 580-595, whereas my non s Dyno’d 582 , then mapped 684- It was a super hot day in our last heat wave too and Acid struggled to get enough air in to get a cooler run, plus he’s being conservative these days , so I think I’m 700 ish.
Not that this matters it’s the seat of the pants dyno which does really...:D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Embarrassingly there were also two dodgy blokes in the back seat including Jerry, the owner of Eurocharged, who was responsible for tweaking the map at the time. :)

The problem we found with the M157 is that everyone which was put on the Dyno in "standard" tune gave a different reading, though all were higher than the factory quoted figures. This basically means that a generic map cannot be guaranteed so it has to be adjusted for each individual car.

An interesting alternative to Weistec stuff has been posted on the OTHER FORUM by a friend who's currently playing with a CLS63, trying, and succeeding, to get it to obscene power levels. :)

They travelled a long way those turbos. California and back, though they had the transmission and the ECU to keep them company on their journey. :D
I thought you looked like you were just idling away the time, like sitting on a sea wall watching the ships Dave- all you were missing was an ice cream cone!

OP
alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Echoing above- no 157 is the same.
I’ve known 63s which had factory spec 585 BHP which Dyno’d stock 580-595, whereas my non s Dyno’d 582 , then mapped 684- It was a super hot day in our last heat wave too and Acid struggled to get enough air in to get a cooler run, plus he’s being conservative these days , so I think I’m 700 ish.
Not that this matters it’s the seat of the pants dyno which does really...:D
I agree, Dyno numbers are a moot point. It's all about the the differences. Especially when crank numbers are back calculated from Whp using a static loss number which can never be accurate.

100hp from a map is nothing to sneeze at! I have noticed that tuned M157's have a peakier torque curve than stock, I wonder if that's one of the reasons mb capped them at around 600hp? (apart from obvious infiltration into their 65 market.)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom