Machine Polishing

craigdm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SLK CDi
My 4 year old SLK is showing it's age somewhat and I wondered if a machine polish would bring back some of it's original sparkle. I bought SWMBO an ex-demo DS3 last year and it had a few light scratches on it, they gave it a MOP and it looked much better.

Anybody gone down this route? Ideas on prices or recommendations in the North West area?

It's not that big a car, and the roof is glass so I'd expect the price to be at the lower end of the spectrum.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I did this to my 17yo CL earlier in the year- silver paint never seems to get that shiny and I was concerned that the paint was getting tired. So, cue a wash, an all-over clay-bar'ing, another wash then....... Cheapo Costco DA polisher and some really, really good Meguiares cutting and polishing compounds with a sealing glaze, I forget what they were. Maroon bottle for the cutting compound- I fully recommend it.
W215 wheels.JPG

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I did this to my 17yo CL earlier in the year- silver paint never seems to get that shiny and I was concerned that the paint was getting tired. So, cue a wash, an all-over clay-bar'ing, another wash then....... Cheapo Costco DA polisher and some really, really good Meguiares cutting and polishing compounds with a sealing glaze, I forget what they were. Maroon bottle for the cutting compound- I fully recommend it.
View attachment 38688
I like a car clean as much as the next guy , but that is one impressive finish for silver . Well done

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My 4 year old SLK is showing it's age somewhat and I wondered if a machine polish would bring back some of it's original sparkle. I bought SWMBO an ex-demo DS3 last year and it had a few light scratches on it, they gave it a MOP and it looked much better.

Anybody gone down this route? Ideas on prices or recommendations in the North West area?

It's not that big a car, and the roof is glass so I'd expect the price to be at the lower end of the spectrum.
I would seriously consider doing it yourself , for what you would pay , you could buy all the kit and then keep it for life .
Have a look at a couple of detailing sites like ...Ultimate Finish , Juicy Detailing . There are advice sections on these sites . Plenty of info on YouTube as well .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I like a car clean as much as the next guy , but that is one impressive finish for silver . Well done

I was really impressed too, first time I'd ever mopped a car (and the mop was only £28, using terry-towel heads not foam discs). From start to finish took around 3.5hrs, and only one cuppa in that time too (I had to have words!)

The gold car came out almost as well, although I didn't use the cutting compound on that.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Said it before but those wheels are lush Craig!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Whatever you do, don't look on detailingworld - or you'll start on a long, slippery and expensive downhill slope!! What started with 2 wash mitts (lambswool and microfibre), microfibre cloths/towel and a clay bar (total cost about £40) ended up with a cost well into 3 figures - Kestrel DAS6 DA polisher plus Sonus pads, a variety of paint correction fluids, a few different polishes (including the one I now use that has to be machine applied with a special 3M pad) and a few more different waxes - plus a quick detail fluid and spray bottles. Mind you, the difference this lot made to my Guards Red 968 coupe had to be seen to be believed, and I've subsequently done the S203 (silver), S204 (Carneol Red) and 968 cab (Tahoe Blue) with excellent results. Time and labour intensive, but worth the effort as, after the first proper job, car just needs a wash for 6 months before more polish/wax is needed.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Whatever you do, don't look on detailingworld - or you'll start on a long, slippery and expensive downhill slope!! What started with 2 wash mitts (lambswool and microfibre), microfibre cloths/towel and a clay bar (total cost about £40) ended up with a cost well into 3 figures - Kestrel DAS6 DA polisher plus Sonus pads, a variety of paint correction fluids, a few different polishes (including the one I now use that has to be machine applied with a special 3M pad) and a few more different waxes - plus a quick detail fluid and spray bottles. Mind you, the difference this lot made to my Guards Red 968 coupe had to be seen to be believed, and I've subsequently done the S203 (silver), S204 (Carneol Red) and 968 cab (Tahoe Blue) with excellent results. Time and labour intensive, but worth the effort as, after the first proper job, car just needs a wash for 6 months before more polish/wax is needed.
Or any detailing site . My garage is full of stuff :D

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wighty, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's "been there, done that!!". However, IF you're prepared to put the time and effort into paint correcting, the results can be very pleasing, but appears to be dependant on the car/colour. The results on my 1994 968 Guards Red coupe were stunning, returned her to showroom brand new colour. The S203 was another matter - no matter what I did the silver never looked really polished and lovely, or for that matter dirty! The Carneol Red looks lovely when initially polished, but not to the extent of the 968.

OP
craigdm

craigdm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 SLK CDi
I'm usually happy to tackle most jobs, just read a few horror stories of when MOP-ing goes wrong!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That happens when a total amateur starts with a big pro mop instead of a DA!

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
View attachment 38688

That looks amazing!

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
Whatever you do, don't look on detailingworld - or you'll start on a long, slippery and expensive downhill slope!! What started with 2 wash mitts (lambswool and microfibre), microfibre cloths/towel and a clay bar (total cost about £40) ended up with a cost well into 3 figures - Kestrel DAS6 DA polisher plus Sonus pads,

Yes, been there, caught in the trap, spent the money, bought the tools & learnt the lesson.
Sadly I am still infected........

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
£140 job from my local bodyshop a couple of years back. :D Still looks good after a wash...

Regularly polished with Collinite.

JJP_6340.jpg

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom