Maf sensors

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
I got the check engine light up today, turns out the code p2004 b2/5 hot film maf sensor p0100 checking s/history and the sensor it appears previous owner replaced it in January this year with a Chinese one at a cost of £12.00
Have any of you Mercedes Guru's ever substituted a Delphi maf sensor in place of an OEM Bosch maf sensor ?. Or any other brand for that matter, if you have how did they work out?

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
I got the check engine light up today, turns out the code p2004 b2/5 hot film maf sensor p0100 checking s/history and the sensor it appears previous owner replaced it in January this year with a Chinese one at a cost of £12.00
Have any of you Mercedes Guru's ever substituted a Delphi maf sensor in place of an OEM Bosch maf sensor ?. Or any other brand for that matter, if you have how did they work out?

Only thing I can lend to this is a faulty MAF is a common issue on my C270 CDI 2002 and I was advised via forums to replace it when I bought the car, and only to use original Bosch MAF (£70ish) and to avoid cheaper eBay ones. I did not bother trying another brand, just stuck with original direct from Mercedes. Done and happy, one less thing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony MB

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only thing I can lend to this is a faulty MAF is a common issue on my C270 CDI 2002 and I was advised via forums to replace it when I bought the car, and only to use original Bosch MAF (£70ish) and to avoid cheaper eBay ones. I did not bother trying another brand, just stuck with original direct from Mercedes. Done and happy, one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for your reply ....I am surprised that no one seems to have tried an alternative to Bosch.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Probably with good reason. The MAF is a sensitive (excuse the pun) sensor, cheaper manufactured alternatives may provide a reading enough to run your car but perhaps may not provide the most accurate or correct reading leading your ECU to make the wrong decisions or to over/under-compensate. This can lead to fault codes, excess fuel usage, poorer emissions, excess wear on components and sometimes put the ECU/engine into emergency "limp-home" mode. The best I have heard people say about alternative MAFs is "they seem to work" but I have seen many people say the opposite and no one complain about buying a genuine Mercedes/Bosch MAF.

OP
Tony MB

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This was the exact feedback I was looking for ......Thanks again

e55amggary

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi sport edition Auto / A6 2.7tdi Quattro s line Avant
Genuine only

I learned the hard way with my w208 230k.

Aftermarket ones are a waste of money

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This was the exact feedback I was looking for ......Thanks again

No problem but I want to be clear: I am sure there is a good 3rd party MAF somewhere that is made and works properly, for a fraction of the price of the Bosch, but because of all the cheap and crappy copies your likelihood of happening upon one without a good recommendation is very slim. If there was a good alternative I would have though there would be several forum posts on them, but I haven't seen any posts like that I am afraid.

I think I bought my Bosch MAF from Mercedes for £75 ish and it did the job. I did consider cheaper alternatives at the time; one option would have been finding a w203 at the breakers yard and using a secondhand MAF for cheaper, but that is a risk also.

OP
Tony MB

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your point is taken....I have just had a Chinese copy fail in less than a year(fitted by the previous owner) and that was why I asked the question, I also understand that one can often be paying premium prices for "Branded" products when another brand would do the same job. I have however just ordered a Bosch replacement for mine.
Your feedback is gratefully received :)

OP
Tony MB

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok Steve .....Let me ask this are you saying only use Bosch parts for a Mercedes ? would this also include spark plugs,bulbs etc
I hope I don't sound pedantic it's just that Delphi for instance are a leading brand in automotive.
I value all input and it's gratefully received.

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why would you choose an alternative to Bosch, when Bosch is the exact part you get in an MB box? Doesn’t make sense.

I guess there are a few valid reasons with "if"s some of which are:
Part that does exactly the same job as well as the original, is of the same quality but is far less costly.
Part is equivalent cost but out-performs, or has more features than, the original part and is comparable cost.
Has almost exactly the same function and lifespan but is lacking in some areas but is still a fraction of the cost.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Ok Steve .....Let me ask this are you saying only use Bosch parts for a Mercedes ? would this also include spark plugs,bulbs etc
I hope I don't sound pedantic it's just that Delphi for instance are a leading brand in automotive.
I value all input and it's gratefully received.

Not necessarily.

For example, if a motor is made by Pierberg, we will see if we can get one from them. If an injector is made by Delphi, we will see if we can get one directly from them. Usually always they are exactly the same parts as in the MB box, with the MB part number on it.

Would I fit a Delphi part that was made by Bosch? No. Its not the same part. Would I ever fit a pattern part? Not never, but hardly ever, it would depend on the quality. If it was poor quality, it wouldn't be recommended or warranted by me and the customers responsibility if he wanted to take the chance. In some cases I would refuse to fit them, purely because then my name attaches itself to an inferior component, which if it goes wrong, gives the impression to others that I thought it was ok to fit.

OP
Tony MB

Tony MB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not necessarily.

For example, if a motor is made by Pierberg, we will see if we can get one from them. If an injector is made by Delphi, we will see if we can get one directly from them. Usually always they are exactly the same parts as in the MB box, with the MB part number on it.

Would I fit a Delphi part that was made by Bosch? No. Its not the same part. Would I ever fit a pattern part? Not never, but hardly ever, it would depend on the quality. If it was poor quality, it wouldn't be recommended or warranted by me and the customers responsibility if he wanted to take the chance. In some cases I would refuse to fit them, purely because then my name attaches itself to an inferior component, which if it goes wrong, gives the impression to others that I thought it was ok to fit.

OK got you ...Thanks for your reply

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom