Malcolm (Television)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
For the third time in as many days I've just seen an old post with Malcolm's words of wisdom all over it that has been reopened by someone currently seeking information.

They say "gone but not forgotten" - but no, he's still here and what a legacy he left for us all.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yesterday I've done a little trick Malcolm showed me a while ago: to eliminate/reduce the road noise from the top of the door, lower the glass completely, stick a piece of paper between the door and the car, and see if you can pull it out easily, if so, open the door and push the frame in, gently. It's as simple as it is brilliant and effective!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I think of him sometimes when I drive my SL, whether it be in connection with distronic, suspension, servicing, electrics, it's inevitable as he was one of the first to help and advise me all those years ago.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Remember with happiness, not sadness
Indeed.
We always said we'd take him to France with us one day but it was not to be. Taking his SL there was the next best thing and it was great ' to have him there' when Rose and I got engaged - something I know he would have liked.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Malcolm had a mind full of information . We all had information at some time or other .Even those of us that thought we knew all about or cars but in the end knew very little. Malcolm could always add to to it . But Malcolm did leave a lot of information on the forum for us if it was needed .

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W247 AMG B200 (2020), A160 (2009) CLK270 (2005) SL230 Pagoda (1964, long gone)
Yesterday I've done a little trick Malcolm showed me a while ago: to eliminate/reduce the road noise from the top of the door, lower the glass completely, stick a piece of paper between the door and the car, and see if you can pull it out easily, if so, open the door and push the frame in, gently. It's as simple as it is brilliant and effective!

Yes, he was always there when you needed him. A great guy.

But to clarify my dull brain: when you say stick a piece of paper between the door and the car, what bit of the door and what bit of the car exactly?! I'm thinking you mean 'raise the window and if you can pull out the paper from the closed glass, then pull the frame in. But then I'm not sure you meant that at all! Sorry but I'm just thick today - or most days actually...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes, he was always there when you needed him. A great guy.

But to clarify my dull brain: when you say stick a piece of paper between the door and the car, what bit of the door and what bit of the car exactly?! I'm thinking you mean 'raise the window and if you can pull out the paper from the closed glass, then pull the frame in. But then I'm not sure you meant that at all! Sorry but I'm just thick today - or most days actually...
If you have doors with frames then it's as GLK says. You're looking for a gap Inthe door seal.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom