Matte Paint Repair: Help required

HWK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/2018
Hi there,

Am after recommendations for someone who can do a paint repair.

I have a C43 in designo selenite grey magno, or in plain English Matte Grey. I have had a paint protection cover put on it, and despite that over the past week I have noticed two marks that require repairs.

If it was a "normal" paint I could get that done easily, however I a struggling to find someone who can do this work as its Matte paint. The marks/damage are both less than 1mm.

If anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome. I am down in Hampshire so ideally down here would be great.

Thanks so much.

HWK

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Coupe C207 2010 \ SLK 250 R172 2011.
Interesting, can you put some pics up so we can have a “Butchers”

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
Hi there,

Am after recommendations for someone who can do a paint repair.

I have a C43 in designo selenite grey magno, or in plain English Matte Grey. I have had a paint protection cover put on it, and despite that over the past week I have noticed two marks that require repairs.

If it was a "normal" paint I could get that done easily, however I a struggling to find someone who can do this work as its Matte paint. The marks/damage are both less than 1mm.

If anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome. I am down in Hampshire so ideally down here would be great.

Thanks so much.

HWK

You must be close to one of the MB Sandown group dealers (Guildford, Basingstoke etc). Their approved body shop is R&R Autos of Basingstoke. They fixed damage to my hyacinth red paintwork recently - not as complex as yours but I think they will know what to do. Wont be cheap though!

OP
H

HWK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/2018
You must be close to one of the MB Sandown group dealers (Guildford, Basingstoke etc). Their approved body shop is R&R Autos of Basingstoke. They fixed damage to my hyacinth red paintwork recently - not as complex as yours but I think they will know what to do. Wont be cheap though!

I am close to one of the Sandown dealers, and I have spoken with R&R although they seem reluctant to help as this is private job and not trade. So hence me having to come here. thanks for replying.

Monday

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL400 2016, CLS350 2020
I am close to one of the Sandown dealers, and I have spoken with R&R although they seem reluctant to help as this is private job and not trade. So hence me having to come here. thanks for replying.

You mean they don't want to deal with you as a direct customer, rather than via an MB (or other make) dealer? I have always dealt with R&R via MB Guildford (they have a rep within the dealership) so that could be the case.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Depends on how severe the marks are, the process is similar to the gloss finish repair, but small areas cannot easily be 'blown in' as with normal gloss finish , Matt finishes cannot be polished in, so whole panels have to be painted and the other big problem is getting the same level of matt finish.
The following video will give you an idea of the process in detail.

OP
H

HWK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/2018
You mean they don't want to deal with you as a direct customer, rather than via an MB (or other make) dealer? I have always dealt with R&R via MB Guildford (they have a rep within the dealership) so that could be the case.
Good tip. I will call them this morning

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Sorry to hear about your problem but that is why I would never buy a matte finish.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What a performance to repair, one little Blemish and you could end up painting the whole side.
Note for diary don’t buy a Matte car , tbh I’d rather a nice Shine anyway.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What a performance to repair, one little Blemish and you could end up painting the whole side.
Note for diary don’t buy a Matte car , tbh I’d rather a nice Shine anyway.
I've got a matte finish car although thankfully I've not had the same issues, no one parks besides me which is nice.

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've got a matte finish car although thankfully I've not had the same issues, no one parks besides me which is nice.

When you say “same issues” do you mean you have not had any damage. ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
When you say “same issues” do you mean you have not had any damage. ?
I probably have some paint damage but I've not had any issues in repairing or trying to match it

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I probably have some paint damage but I've not hand any issues in repairing or trying to match it

That’s good then, I’m paranoid enough with a normal paint finish, as to where I park .

vtaylor78

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
717cee68cce4a5bca66ccd736362b8b7.jpg

Well they say Mud is good for the skin, so it must be doing wonders for your Defenders paint work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Depends on how severe the marks are, the process is similar to the gloss finish repair, but small areas cannot easily be 'blown in' as with normal gloss finish , Matt finishes cannot be polished in, so whole panels have to be painted and the other big problem is getting the same level of matt finish.
The following video will give you an idea of the process in detail.

Looks like a lot of work to get that, "primer completed, ready for the top coat look".

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
Frankly if they are less than 1mm is it worth bothering about for a while? I'm sure nobody will say 'nice car shame about those 2 pin prick blemishes in the paintwork'? Sod's Law also states that if it happens once it'll happen again! What paint protection film do you have? I paid premium for the self-healing wotsit version. I also have the best coloured car as well so am just interested :)

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom