1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes 229.51 Oil.

Discussion in 'Mercedes Goods on eBay' started by Jimbo1959, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, fast, smooth and comfortable, wunderbar machine!!
    I found this oil at the following link, www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-L-Genuine-Mercedes-Benz-5W30-Low-Ash-SAPS-Engine-Oil-MB229-51-Fully-Synthetic/253676797445?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I just wanted to point out the price which, I thought was fantastic, considering everyone else seems to be selling for at least double that price.
    The thing that made me go ahead was the vendor had a 100% positive feedback rating, so, everything looks spot on.
    My "It looks to good to be true" radar is pinging though, tbh I rarely ever find bargains online that's the main reason but, it would be good if some more of us got the benefit too, here's hoping everything is ok.
    I'll post as soon as I get the oil and let you guys know how it all goes.

Tju likes this.
  2. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    ^ That is a brilliant price for 20 lts Jim. It's good stuff too.
    I use the 5w40 229.5 for petrol engines and the best I could find last Jan was £54 and the price has gone up considerably.

3. Uncle Benz

Uncle Benz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mainly Mercedes
    Very cheap! I buy this in 210 litre barrels, two at a time to get the best possibly discount, and I'm paying 40% more than that!

Edit- just checked. It's 40%, not 50%, but still!

4. OP
    Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, fast, smooth and comfortable, wunderbar machine!!
    After joining the forum I was checking out what was the best oil for my car and this was recommended by almost everyone. When I saw it at that price I jumped at the chance. Initially I thought I might have boobed, mainly because I usually shoot myself in the foot when I get a "bargain" but, this looks to be on the up and up (for a change) :D:D

At that price I wish I had the money to buy two, that'd equate to just under 5 oil changes, lol. At a great price too.

5. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I saw a similar deal last week and avoided it , but because the seller (same pic again ) used the same picture as another seller called southern commercials who is a reputable dealer , in my opinion its too cheap , so i would be interested if it works out . In which case i'll buy some :D.
    Its also the newly branded containers . Good luck with it , its a great price .

6. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG
    Suspect this is a compromised account, that previously had it listed and they have dropped the price and changed the paypal address.

I have bought one, and the payment is stuck in "not accepted" which I have had happen in previous circumstances.

Tju likes this.
  7. Tju

Tju Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500, S210 320 Cdi, A208 320, W221 S350 Cdi
    I bought one and just had an email from Ebay saying that an unauthorised third party may have accessed the sellers account to list this item. It goes on to say you maybe protected by Ebay and to open a request with the resolution centre. I went on my paypal account and saw that the money had not yet been collected by the seller, so I cancelled the transaction and got my money back.
    I forgot the old adage (or got greedy coz it was stinking cheap) "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is"

8. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    mercnewcstle.PNG

I buy 60Ltrs at a time for the vans mobile work, bought some 2 days ago all ok.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-L-Gen...l-229-5-NEW-/131917456975?hash=item1eb6e4a64f

And just ordered 20Ltrs again :)

mercnewcstle.PNG

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  9. OP
    Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I have now received the same message from E-Bay and I'm just about to try the same course of action that you took. Here's hoping, fingers crossed.
    :oops::rolleyes:

10. OP
    Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ah good (I hope), now showing cancelled purchase and refund of £29-99 on my PayPal Account.

I've never had any problems before with E-Bay and, never had to do a claim or anything in all the time I've used it.

Can anyone tell me does the refund stop and stay in my Paypal account or will it be returned to my Credit card which supports the PP accnt?

11. OP
    Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The next time my "Too good to be true" radar starts pinging, I'm going to Bl**dy listen to it! :mad::mad:

Just lucky to get away with it, as it were, this time.

Sorry for providing a bad link guys, I thought I was helping folk out too. :oops::oops::oops:

Wighty likes this.
  12. AMGeed

AMGeed Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Jimbo1959 likes this.
  13. Lord_Lucan

Lord_Lucan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2008 W204 C320 CDI
    Looks like the account of the original link is still hacked as there is a 20 L listing still showing at £25.99...maybe we all need to report it?

Jimbo1959 likes this.