Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Re the STAR check I can always do this for you, I am in Daventry

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
As you're in the Norwich area you're in luck as probably the best indy in the country is just a 30-odd mile drive down the A140 in Stowmarket - Alex Crow (alexcrowltd.co.uk).

Alex looks after several CLs including mine, and there's nothing he doesn't know about these cars. In addition to his expertise his prices are very reasonable.

I live near Norwich too and if you'd like to have a face-to-face chat some time I would be very happy to meet.

This sounds like an excellent recommendation. Always good to have a really good Indy nearby .. all the better if he knows these cars, as they have their quirks.
When you have done your checking and all is good, I personally would say its money well worth spending getting someone like this to go over it.
If he says "this is a genuine car, looks a good one" .. then you get peace of mind.
Conversely, if he has reservations or doubts ... move on! There will always be another one.

Personally I would get the Vin no. Look it up on a vin checker see all the options (plus this helps you price it).
Look up the DVLA check all the MOTs , noting dates and mileages. Get owners permission for access to the full electronic service book. This will show all the main dealer services and the ones done by Indys (who are allowed to update the service book)
I note all the dates and mileages, and start a timeline, so it all looks genuine. By that you can see ownership changes and note the average mileage for each owner, often they do pretty similar miles per annum, make sure they are in sequence. Look for irregularities like a service in June 2006 with a higher mileage than an MOT in Jan 2007!!!! Helps spot clocking.

If in doubt ask the DVLA. They are very helpful.
For instance they had a record of a couple of additional mileages on mine ... I thought why? MOT not due??
All very innocent, when the DVLA explained it had 3 private number plate changes, so a concern actually became a positive .. more dates and mileages to check the pattern and timeline. ( a lot of CLs have private plates )

I do hope I am not insulting you. But it was a learning curve for me, not having bought a second hand car for 26 years.
Fourtuneately a car dealer gave me a few tips .. he also said a lot of cars today are clocked!
Initially that surprised me, as the cars are now so sophisticated. But then that means software .. so of course can be doctored.
Note even some of the clever guys in here discover theres has done 18,000 more miles than declared.
As yours is in the 40Ks finding it had done 58K would be a material difference for me!
I wouldnt want it!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All the front could well need to be renewed, Mine passed the MOT at 69k and all good, 3k later they all needed to be replaced.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Looks clean, very low miles. Doesn't look like it has the camera, no distronic ( don't know if that troubles you?) has keyless go....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There's a black one close by me for much less but better equipped for much less money although it's done 114k - same year

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
There's a black one close by me for much less but better equipped for much less money although it's done 114k - same year

Mileage doesn't mean too much on these if the servicing has been kept up...

houseboss2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 09/09 (2010 my M273 Engine) Now completed 40K Palladium/Black
Looks clean, very low miles. Doesn't look like it has the camera, no distronic ( don't know if that troubles you?) has keyless go....

I think it has distronic as the front and rear look so much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing without distance sensors.

Michael

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I think it has distronic as the front and rear look so much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing without distance sensors.

Michael
You're right Michael sorry - I was checking the blurb on the sellers ad and they didn't mention it, which is daft as it's a good selling point, now I've looked at the pictures the front distronic solid cover is obvious to see!
Might bode well for a bargain if the dealer hasn't spotted other extras!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Michael
Yes so nice with no parking markers, it was the end of 2008 when I think that they came along (very few in the rain)

Yes the distronic has got it if on the front only. I do like my grill now I have painted black

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I note its got the old style wing mirrors and the unperforated leather and I agree about the ride height , looks to be sat up on the back compared to my own , I also think the ride on the 20's is very good but im used to cars with large diameter rims on

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I do not think these are dealer recommendations so if full MBSH they probably will not be done.
The chaps on the forum are keen on them, MB says the ABC is "sealed for life", no service recommended.
Your money, your choice.
I've not decided yet but, have not had mine done at 55k miles.

I erred on the side of caution.
My fluid was very clean at 40,800 a nice light green. My Indy saved it so I could see. I have heard it can be very dirty and full of crap.
But mine had a big hose changed by original owner (pump to front control valve) because it was "sweating" (not sure what "sweating" means but from what I saw on utube, you can get tiny sweat like beads on the outside if the rubber, and its apparrently an indicator it can burst anytime), so I suspect the ABC fluid had been changed at 28,000 or a lot of it was changed; as I guess it pours out when you unbolt the tube.

The old fluid did have a few very tiny black specs in it.
My logic is if my 300bBar airgun can take a 4" diameter chunk out of a concrete post at 40 meters, I guess these tiny specks of dirt fired at 190Bar (my pressure reading) wont do the internals/O rings any good.
Plus changing the power steering fluid at the same time, must be a positive thing.

I am not sure if my car was built with a 10 micron filter, I was told post august 2008 [Code 809] like mine, were fitted with the 3 micron filter, but who knows. In any event upgrading the filter to a higher spec cant hurt. I would suspect the finer filter was introduced to try and reduce the failure rate.
Ha ha didnt stop it losing a front strut :-/

IMO if you have a dealer like MBS who changes it very economically it is well worth doing

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I note its got the old style wing mirrors and the unperforated leather and I agree about the ride height , looks to be sat up on the back compared to my own , I also think the ride on the 20's is very good but im used to cars with large diameter rims on

Indeed that one is high at the rear end

OP
D

D33_83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz CL 5.5 CL500
As you're in the Norwich area you're in luck as probably the best indy in the country is just a 30-odd mile drive down the A140 in Stowmarket - Alex Crow (alexcrowltd.co.uk).

Alex looks after several CLs including mine, and there's nothing he doesn't know about these cars. In addition to his expertise his prices are very reasonable.

I live near Norwich too and if you'd like to have a face-to-face chat some time I would be very happy to meet.

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for the details and offer. I actually live in London and i am planning on going to see the car later in the week / weekend. So if you are around then, i would welcome the opportunity to speak with someone that has first hand experience of these cars.

In the interim, i will be giving Alex Crow a call to see if they would be willing to do a check on the car, subject to the dealer allowing this.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These have a set of faults, the first one during a settle the 4 height sensors all need lubricated. The next one to fault in the noise from the steering, easy to change about £150, I was wonder if the rear height is high as the brackets all bent.

On the 216 change the ride in 1 start the ride is too hard for my, the ride does not change, just harder so I leave in 2 all the time as most.

BernardB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600 (W216) 2006
Sorry, I misunderstood that it was the car that was near Norwich rather than you! I doubt Alex could take time out from his own business to go and look at the car - I was assuming that you or someone would take it to him. When you go to Wymondham, you might like to know it's pronounced Windham.

I would be happy to chat with you about CLs but I'm eight miles east of Norwich and it would be well out of your way to come and see me.

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
These have a set of faults, the first one during a settle the 4 height sensors all need lubricated. The next one to fault in the noise from the steering, easy to change about £150, I was wonder if the rear height is high as the brackets all bent.

On the 216 change the ride in 1 start the ride is too hard for my, the ride does not change, just harder so I leave in 2 all the time as most.

Hi Malcolm
Where is the button / switch / comand setting to change from Ride 1 to Ride 2 ?
Not seen that.
Mine has 2 height settings basically Up or Normal (down). It just seems to effect road clearance not ride harshness.
Then there is mode button M,S,C being manual or comfort or sport.
Comfort effects gearbox, starts in 2nd ? Revs drop off fast if you back off the throttle. And also the ride seems softer.
In sport the ride is harder and the gearbox holds the gears longer under throttle, and also holds the revs up if you back off the throttle so its all more responsive.
But that seems to be it on mine. Cant see a Ride type 1 or 2???

Mine is a 7Gtronic Plus with Code 809 ( apparently that is year 2009 technical modifications???) and I only have one battery. But old style mirrors and no led lighting. - are they the same ref this ride thing?

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
Hi Malcolm
Where is the button / switch / comand setting to change from Ride 1 to Ride 2 ?
Not seen that.
Mine has 2 height settings basically Up or Normal (down). It just seems to effect road clearance not ride harshness.
Then there is mode button M,S,C being manual or comfort or sport.
Comfort effects gearbox, starts in 2nd ? Revs drop off fast if you back off the throttle. And also the ride seems softer.
In sport the ride is harder and the gearbox holds the gears longer under throttle, and also holds the revs up if you back off the throttle so its all more responsive.
But that seems to be it on mine. Cant see a Ride type 1 or 2???

Mine is a 7Gtronic Plus with Code 809 ( apparently that is year 2009 technical modifications???) and I only have one battery. But old style mirrors and no led lighting. - are they the same ref this ride thing?
I think Mal is referring to the C and S settings, I do find it affects the ride.
On my 20" AMG's I prefer C.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think Mal is referring to the C and S settings, I do find it affects the ride.
On my 20" AMG's I prefer C.

Indeed I am referring to that, the gear shift in 1 does give a much harder than 2, but its held the resurrection harder.

I the same the ride in 2 is good and its easy to increased with a harder throttle. I do have some 35 details of things that can happen.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom