Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Hi to all!

This forum have been in discussion with ourselves about an insurance scheme for registered users on here. We are glad to say that we have signed the deal so I'd just like to introduce myself & our company!

Chris Knott Insurance - http://www.chrisknott.co.uk - have been involved with car clubs for over 20 years so hopefully we'll understand your needs & requirements!

The scheme is for both standard and modified cars with cosmetic changes and bhp increases by no more than 50bhp.

It starts for ages 25 and over, and you must have at least 1 year's NCB – no introductory discounts are allowed. For small performance hot hatches over 170bhp, the minimum age is 30 and you must have owned the car (or identical group) for at least 12 months.

All drivers must have held a full UK licence for at least 1 year, and to insure a 'performance' car, there must be at least 1 years experience of driving that, or similar bhp, car. Unfortunately, the scheme is not competitive on all M - Manchester, L - Liverpool, OL - Oldham & SK1-12 - Stockport postcodes, and excludes Northern Ireland.

No more than 1 SP/PC/PL conviction offence per driver and no fault claims in the last 12 months.

The minimum premium is £250 for everyday policies so please don’t ring if your quote is less than this!

We consistently have a very high renewal retention rate meaning that people renew with us because of our constantly competitive insurance premiums & experienced, reliable customer and claims service. That is why we can promote this insurance scheme knowing that we are in it for the long term.

I'll view the site regularly and try to answer any queries that you have also.

In the meantime, please feel free to call the New Business Team when you receive your renewal through. A dedicated team, with years of experience, is waiting for your call! (I personally don't do the quotes).

0800 917 2274 or 01424 200477 (if phoning by mobile) & please don't forget to quote the reference found in my signature below and the club name!

mark.s

MBO Forum Staff - CLS 320 (W219)
MBO Ad Sales & Partnerships
Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesclub.org.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI remapped (W219)
Hi Forum,

So you are aware Chris Knott is authorised to promote his services on our forum, as you can see from his user title.

Chris Knott has worked with the MBO for many years as a official partner to MBO members, we know have opened the doors for Forum members to know and use his services.

The feedback we have had from our members has been superb, so we hope that the forum, finds their quotes / services equally as good.

Hope this helps, to clarify.

Mark
MBO. :)

tomv

Admin
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The adminmobile.
Note: The discussion of forum advertising can be continued here (a few posts were moved to the feedback area, none deleted). Please keep this thread on the topic of insurance.

Last edited:

Manpie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'97 C200 Esprit
Only problem for me is I've been driving for 6yrs as a Named Driver and never had a claim but in this time I've not been able to build up my own NCB. Came to insure my '97 C200 Esprit last Aug and the best quote I could get hold of was £922 (Which I had no choice in choosing) for a 30yr old.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
I had my wife ring Chris Knott and get a quote for my 320 CDI CLS and she was unfortunately quoted over £300 more than my present insurer even with the club discount:(.

Alfiebeard

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i might give these a try for my focus. its to renew soon

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Out of interest why the blanket ban on certain postcodes, no affect on me, but Manchester and Liverpool are huge areas to leave out, is it the "Abramovich" insurance company.

OP
ChrisKnottIns

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Unfortunately it's all to do with claims statistics.

The Underwriters available to us work upon a combination of demographic profiling and historic claims results. We often find that some of the better demographic areas suffer when surrounded by, or near to high crime or poor demographic postcode sectors.

We do try to source a positive result for every application we receive and we have access to a range of different scheme Underwriters, thus declining an application will be as a result of our having been unable to source competitive terms from every Underwriter that we deal with.

An inordinately high number of claims come from these postcodes, simple as that. It's not a case of a few points higher but a much greater percentage than the norm.
The insurers did actually tinker with individual postcodes but it didn't work sadly. I suppose 'once bitten, twice shy'.

The scheme would just not exist if the insurers included these postcodes because of the losses that these have historically caused.

I found this on another forum though it's specifically written about Greater Manchester. It was written by a member of the Police Force –

"I can appreciate that it's your driving record you are referring to, but I am more than well aware that the areas CK won't cover are generally those areas that are suffering horrendously with fraudulent claims and also are areas of high car thefts.

I quote:

QUOTE People in Manchester were more likely than anywhere else to have their cars broken into, with 25 victims for every thousand people, according to the figures.

Motorists in the city were also more likely than almost anywhere else to have their cars stolen, with nine victims for every thousand people.

The latest available Home Office figures used by the insurance company suggest Manchester was the worst area in the country for thefts from vehicles last year.

Motorists in the city suffered 11,241 thefts from vehicles in the 12 months to April, 2007 - up nine per cent on the previous year, which represent 25 victims out of every thousand people.

In Salford, there were 4,618 thefts from vehicles, or 24 out of every thousand people in the local population.

The worst area in London was Islington with 20 victims per thousand people.

Greater Manchester as a whole suffered 39,104 thefts from vehicles, up nine per cent on the year before, compared to 12,806 in Merseyside.

In the Metropolitan area, there were 91,931 thefts from cars although this figure represents 12 in every thousand people there - half that in Manchester.

In Greater Manchester, 14,872 cars were stolen, which represents six out of every thousand people. The total number stolen fell 12 per cent compared to the previous year.

The Home Office figures show 3,928 cars were stolen in Manchester during the period.

In Salford, there were 1,709 cars stolen or eight out of every thousand people compared to four in Bury, Stockport and Wigan. It was six in Liverpool.

On average, 3 out of every thousand people were victims of car theft in Lancashire and Cheshire. Five out of every thousand people had their car taken in The Metropolitan Police area. The national average was four victims per thousand people."

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Unfortunately it's all to do with claims statistics. The Underwriters available to us work upon a combination of demographic profiling and historic claims results.

Very wise - and very true.

No insurer can afford to offer blanket coverage blindly and hope to stay in business. The premium increases for younger male drivers at present are chilling - but so is their claims experience.

The insurance needs to be "risk based". As a doctor, I had my professional indemnity arrangements with a Scottish company who only insured the graduates of Scottish medical schools - and at half the rate of the competition who would cover anyone on the medical register.

Like any other arrangement of that sort, it is only those who cannot access it who complain.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thanks for a detailed response, essentially they have too many claims in Liverpool and Manchester, I shall not be moving there then.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Thanks for a detailed response, essentially they have too many claims in Liverpool and Manchester, I shall not be moving there then.

So the innocent motorists who live in these areas are penalised :(

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes, in another one of my nutshells.

daveskompressor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e55 amg kompressor
e55 amg kompressor

I had my wife ring Chris Knott and get a quote for my 320 CDI CLS and she was unfortunately quoted over £300 more than my present insurer even with the club discount:(.

Alfiebeard

my quote was £370 dearer from chris knott went with l.v. instead! dave:confused:

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Yes, we do get penalised for others doings however as Alex mentioned it should be considered that if i have 8 years no claim then it should show that the customer is a safe driver and with no convictions for 5 years it should also help with the quote even further. My premium at the moment is showing 120% higher than of last year with same NCD and still clean license, how does any insurer justify that. If you say, the quotes/covers are based on the total amount of fraudlent claims in a year in the area then you/Police are saying you know they are fraudlent then why are they continueing?? why arent the claims procedures more strictned? Why dont insurers pay for more employees to investigate the legality of claims rather than offering big sums and charging innocent!!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Anyone want to buy some cheap nutshells, one owner, honest a lady vicar

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
............... why arent the claims procedures more strictned? Why dont insurers pay for more employees to investigate the legality of claims rather than offering big sums and charging innocent!!

Why should they go to all that bother when they can easily screw you, me and everyone else every year for extra money to make up their shortfall, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask when he robbed, these companies seem to be a law unto themselves.

I was in the same situation as you when me insurance renewal came in, my insurance quote more than doubled and with a lot of calling around I managed to find another company who actually quoted me less than last years rates.

When I call I am always asked if I have had any quotes and answer "Yes" giving them a price around 80% of what I paid the previous year, it's amazing how competitive some of the brokers can be by knocking a few quid off here and a few quid off there to get the business.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Insurance companies operate very much like Ladbrokes, William Hill etc if you put that thought in your head it all makes sense;
Actuary they study form balances book (like bookmaker).
Insurance company takes premiums (bets) tries not to pay out.
Winges like stuck pig when has to work ie anything other than take money,
gets very good publicity for when they do.
Insurance premiums are bets pure and simple and fortunately for the companies you have to bet ie get your car insured by Law which makes the vast majority of us do it.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom