1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes C220CDI Not starting Help please

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by batchy, Sep 11, 2017.

1. batchy

batchy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c220 cdi estate 2001
    Hi All

I have recently had an issue when the car would crank but not start. It had a quarter of a tank. I put some fuel in and it spluttered into life. I have kept the car topped up with fuel since and all was fine. Today after being sat up for 12 hours it started then died. Then wouldnt restart it has 3/4 of a tank.

After about 20 seconds of cranking it started. I have read alot about the high pressure pump which i believe is the culprut. There is fuel to the filter which is fairly new and no air bubbles iin the fuel line injecgors are fine etc, however i noticed the clear pipe under the high pressure pump was half full of fuel so i believe i have a leak back on it.

Has anyone else had this problem and is it a case of changing the pump? or os there an easy fixl? it isnt leaking fuel. I go away on friday for two weeks so the car will be sat at the airport so need to fix it before !!

thanks all i have attached a picture showing the pipe that was half full to the left of the black line to the right was empty.

Attached Files:

2. Paul1948

Paul1948 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S320 CDI 2003
    Take a can of Easy Start with you as it sounds as though you have pressure leak of from the common rail, possible a faulty injector or seals failing in the fuel line ( letting air in but not fuel out). Enjoy your holiday.

3. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
  4. OP
    batchy

batchy New Member

Your Mercedes:
    c220 cdi estate 2001
    Great thanks guys will take easy start with me and have a look when I'm back.! Will a pressure test be the best way for injectors? Whereabouts are the seals to check.? Presume the seals are the cheapest easiest place to start! ?

5. v8disco

v8disco Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    2012 CLS 350 cdi Blue efficiency
    When I had a couple of D5 volvos, the early models were notorious for this and it was usually a failed injector that caused it. The way to test the injectors was to, one at a time, remove the leak off tubes and run the engine. If you got virtually no leak off, it was fine, but a jet of fuel indicated it was faulty. Change the injector and all was good. Various people suggested that they should be coded to the car, but I bought a new Bosch unit and it just worked. Apparently a lot of leak off means the rail takes a time to build the pressure needed for the engine to start. Might be nothing to do with your problem but thought I would share anyway .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    seals are commonest on these. basically all the rubber o rings on the pipe unions etc.

oigle likes this.
  7. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes-Benz C32AMG, SL55AMG, C320CDI Sport Edition Estate and SLR McLaren Coupe Roadster.
    Always check the fuel pressure first.