Mercedes CLS 320 Xenon bulb replacement

MARtinClS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320cdi
Hi all,

Wondering if anybody can help...

Car is a 2007 fitted with xenon headlights. One bulb blew so I’ve set about replacing it. Easy enough to get to, remove the ballast/igniter (the unit connected the bulb which I’m guessing powers it) and the new bulb in place. Problem is, I can’t the ballast to click back to the ‘close’ position!! It was easy to remove, just a quarter turn towards the ‘open’ position. Is there a trick to this? It just doesn’t work want to turn towards the close position at all. There are 4 tabs on the unit, I’ve got these lined up with the receivers on the bulb holder unit but it won’t turn to close and I don’t want to force it too much...

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Can't help with advice buddy but have you checked YouTube for instructional vids ?

OP
M

MARtinClS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320cdi
Thanks for getting back to me. No specific instructions on YouTube but I figured it out; crazy system where the power lead ‘locks’ the bulb holding mechanism. You have to connect the bulb to the ballast first, then connect the power lead.

Neelesh Patel

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS Grand Edition/2009/350 cdi
Its easy to remove old but putting back was an issue due to lack on room driver side. I tried for an hour without luck and ended up paying £20 for a local garage to do it.

OP
M

MARtinClS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320cdi
Its easy to remove old but putting back was an issue due to lack on room driver side. I tried for an hour without luck and ended up paying £20 for a local garage to do it.

The access is terrible, particularly on the drivers side. I just persevered and got there with it. Fair bit of shouting and swearing but it’s done!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom