Mercedes Dealer Has Ruined My Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

930lad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 S320cdi, 2006 Amazon, 1988 911 turbo
stunned......I've said it before ....dealers hook up their electronics to clear faults as against fixing them.

You'll get nothing for your CLS as it is.....you'll need to go legal on this imo. Disgraceful

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
Hi Firestar

What a sorry tale. It seems from your posts that you have tried to take all the right actions and allowed the dealer to repair the car. However enough is enough. If it were me I would first telephone MBUK Customer services for their slant on it. Should they give you the usual bs and say its for the dealer to sort out, I would then write to MBUK Managing Director with a copy to the General manager at the Dealership and list this whole sorry tale and highlight the amount of money you have spent (for nothing) and ask what they intend to do about it before you contact Trading Standards, the Press and your Solicitor. Its amazing how the threat of legal action can inspire even the most reticent of people into action.
Good luck however you proceed and I hope you get a satisfactory outcome.
Mercs are beutiful cars but any car that is unreliable is a complete waste of time, whatever the make.
Barry

That may work or then it may not!

Remember MB have a very experenced legal department and are not afraid to lie, even in Court.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Firststar ,

Sorry to hear of all your problems, sadly a familiar tale and a reason I am collecting their customers!! If I can help in anyway please feel free to give me a call, I am 20-25mins from Taunton.

Steve

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Firststar ,

Sorry to hear of all your problems, sadly a familiar tale and a reason I am collecting their customers!! If I can help in anyway please feel free to give me a call, I am 20-25mins from Taunton.

Steve

There you go firstar Sorted!! the perfect solution:D

Alfie

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
Even Better Solution,
Have Got Rid of the Car Today and gone over to BMW.
Told the dealer I sold it to of the problem and was told No Worries he will take it to an indepentant and get it sorted before he sells it on.
Had Beemers in the past and No real Problems always fixed under warranty or if not problem found straight away and sorted first time round.
Never Been charged for work that they havnt done and they have Never manufactured problems looking for future work.
There seems to be certain members of this forum that jump to defend MB of Taunton without knowing all of the facts straight away and try and blame the customer.
Maybe youve never had a problem like this, but I am quite certain that your attitude would soon change if it did.
This wasnt my First Mercedes but it will certainly be my Last.
As to the attitude of certain members, you must have too much time on your hands and can obviously afford to pay and keep paying just for the sheer enjoyment of going back and forward to MB dealerships.
Well some people who have to work for and save for their cars have lives to be getting on with and having your car at a dealership week in and week out is not a viable option.
We do not all have company cars.
I am sorry if I have offended anybody with this statement but people jumping in and defending the dealership after the disgraceful way that I and my car have been dealt with by mercedes will only find out what their like when it happens to you!

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
Whether the fault was caused by the service or not is probably something you'll never know. Yes it was serviced and straight after it played up, so reasonably enough, you've made the connection, but it doesn't follow that they are actually related. It could be plain, simple co-incidence. It could equally be related to the software update or some other work they did.
I am a bit hesitant though as its clear from your descriptions that you're not mechanically minded. So, I am assuming some of your descriptions are your understanding of what they told you rather than the actual words. A prime example being that some of the original parts you described (e.g. oxygen sensor on the gear box) don't actually exist. The alternative would be that they were offering you "a bag on your head" and I doubt they'd be brave enough to attempt that one in case they encountered one of us who'd know and have them in their boss's office so fast ...
I'd be happy enough for the dealer to continue to work on the car, just provided I wasn't being expected to pay a time and materials rate whilst they figured it out. They are supposed to be the experts. This is a double edged sword. On the plus side, this means they put themselves forward for difficult issues, but the down side is that they can't get away with trial and error. They have to go directly to the fault and should swallow any expense incurred if they fail to do so.
Gearbox oxygen sensor £150 Labour £280 is exactly what it states on the invoice

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
There you go firstar Sorted!! the perfect solution:D

Alfie

Thanks for your imput Alfie,
By The way whats the weather like at home, Am origionally from millhousebridge just two miles north of Lockerbie

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Gearbox oxygen sensor £150 Labour £280 is exactly what it states on the invoice

Interesting - why does a gearbox have an oxygen sensor .... anyone .....?
and £280 to fit?
The only oxygen sensor I am aware of is a small bolted in item on the exhaust pipe - and that would be a 10 min job to swap out.

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Good luck with your new car.

Without wishing to get into a row, when you say
There seems to be certain members of this forum that jump to defend MB of Taunton without knowing all of the facts straight away and try and blame the customer.
we will never know all the facts. We have your side of the story & unless MB Taunton would like to come on & give their version that's the way it'll stay.

I don't understand the gearbox query either.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
If there was such a thing as body language you could sense from the written word, I think this ultimate outcome was a foregone conclusion before the OP had even started the thread.

Disappointing, nothing to do with going to BMW, but to let a dealer get away with that sort of attitude ..........

I think I will send the link to the group MD

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
Even Better Solution,
Have Got Rid of the Car Today and gone over to BMW.
Told the dealer I sold it to of the problem and was told No Worries he will take it to an indepentant and get it sorted before he sells it on.
Had Beemers in the past and No real Problems always fixed under warranty or if not problem found straight away and sorted first time round.
Never Been charged for work that they havnt done and they have Never manufactured problems looking for future work.
Maybe youve never had a problem like this, but I am quite certain that your attitude would soon change if it did.
This wasnt my First Mercedes but it will certainly be my Last.
As to the attitude of certain members, you must have too much time on your hands and can obviously afford to pay and keep paying just for the sheer enjoyment of going back and forward to MB dealerships.
Well some people who have to work for and save for their cars have lives to be getting on with and having your car at a dealership week in and week out is not a viable option.
We do not all have company cars.
I am sorry if I have offended anybody with this statement but people jumping in and defending the dealership after the disgraceful way that I and my car have been dealt with by mercedes will only find out what their like when it happens to you!

This is why I continue to "fight" MB for justice, not only for myself but all their customers, past, present and future who are faced with this situation.

MB trucks are being investigated by the Office of Fair Trading, one arrested so far.

I contend that there is a culture throughout MB which allows a "customer comes last" attitude.

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
I never let any dealer touch my cars if I can help it and DIY myself unless it absolutely necessary that I can't fix it myself

They took it home for a harsh drive when they had it for 5 days, you may not be aware of.

Dave Brooker

Reaction score
I never let any dealer touch my cars if I can help it and DIY myself unless it absolutely necessary that I can't fix it myself

They took it home for a harsh drive when they had it for 5 days, you may not be aware of.

Have you been drinking?

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Thanks for your imput Alfie,
By The way whats the weather like at home, Am origionally from millhousebridge just two miles north of Lockerbie

Hi what a small world eh, well the weather has been pretty good last week but this week its back to normal ha ha,
****** shame Mercedes Dealers knackered what was probably a very good car, well if its any consolation the dealer up here is just as crap.

Look after yourself and good luck with you new BMW.:D

Alfie

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
Very sorry to read of this outcome , and sad that Mercedes have lost a good customer due to poor ( dreadful ) dealer service .

By the sound of things , you had a very good car with which you were very happy until things went wrong . Unfortunately the Taunton dealer failed to correct the fault and , worse , failed to look after you in a professional manner .

There are some good dealers ( and independents ) out there - I hope you will give Mercedes a try at some point again .

Good luck with your new car anyway .

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Good luck with your new car.

Without wishing to get into a row, when you say
we will never know all the facts. We have your side of the story & unless MB Taunton would like to come on & give their version that's the way it'll stay.

I don't understand the gearbox query either.

I can assure you Mercedes Taunton will have got to know the content of this thread:D, as Mercedes Carlisle did when I slated them, but they would never dream of commenting as this would carry the thread on longer, which is something they would'nt want, especially if he is not the only poor sod to get stiffed by them.:(

Alf

peter.jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180k saloon 2004 (54)
do as suggested and contact the dealer principle i had an issue with a used c180k se that i bought from an evans halshaw dealer in cardiff the sales managers attitude was appalling but when i contacted the d p all was put right at a cost probally approaching £3500 to £4000 and tjhey footed the bill so it does pay to go straight to the top if you dont get any satisfaction at service manager level good luck

A180 Dream

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180 Avantgarde SE Blue EFFICIENCY (1.7 Petrol)
do as suggested and contact the dealer principle i had an issue with a used c180k se that i bought from an evans halshaw dealer in cardiff the sales managers attitude was appalling but when i contacted the d p all was put right at a cost probally approaching £3500 to £4000 and tjhey footed the bill so it does pay to go straight to the top if you dont get any satisfaction at service manager level good luck

Too late!...........The OP has swapped it for a BMW:(

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
There are some good dealers ( and independents ) out there - I hope you will give Mercedes a try at some point again .

Good luck with your new car anyway .

IMHO the dealers really spoil what is a nice car to drive and own. I am in the process of dealing with MB Glasgow over a minor body work item. Its like pulling teeth. The car will need a dealer service as its under dealer warranty, I dread this as I want them to look at the gearbox potentially (seems to be a minor fluid top up).

Of course, if they hadn't designed the 7g box in the most bizzare way, I could top it up myself. But I cannae, you fill it from the bottom via a pump IIRC and you need a special tool to do it.

I can't wait for it to be out of warranty and I can go back the the fella in Ibrox or use Olly when down at his meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom