Mercedes Dealer Has Ruined My Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Of course, if they hadn't designed the 7g box in the most bizzare way, I could top it up myself. But I cannae, you fill it from the bottom via a pump IIRC and you need a special tool to do it.
You're thinking of a manual box. Auto's can be filled via the dipstick tube.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
No dipstick tube on the 7g. They are indeed filled from the bottom

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
No dipstick tube on the 7g. They are indeed filled from the bottom

Sure MB did that to prevent even the most elementary of car maintenance to be taken away from the owner. All I wanted to do was drop 1/4 litre ATF in case it was a slight fluid deficiency coming apparent in the cold weather.

Its an awful design. I really have to say I did prefer the 5g box in my 220. The engine is fab but this box seems a complete PITA.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
IMHO the dealers really spoil what is a nice car to drive and own. I am in the process of dealing with MB Glasgow over a minor body work item. Its like pulling teeth. The car will need a dealer service as its under dealer warranty, I dread this as I want them to look at the gearbox potentially (seems to be a minor fluid top up).

Of course, if they hadn't designed the 7g box in the most bizzare way, I could top it up myself. But I cannae, you fill it from the bottom via a pump IIRC and you need a special tool to do it.

I can't wait for it to be out of warranty and I can go back the the fella in Ibrox or use Olly when down at his meet.

Stu , remember Glen Hendersons in Ayr are an authorised service centre , thus keeps your warranty intact , and their labour rates are below those of MB , but not as low as an Indy .

I haven't done anything other than buy parts from them , but a pal who uses them told me the above - got to be worth a phone call to investigate ?

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
They used to be main dealers but lost the dealership during the reorganisation , now as an authorised service centre they can do servicing and repairs with all warranties intact , exactly same as using a dealer - only difference is they don't sell new cars .

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
Heres an Interesting developement for you.
The Dealer I part exed the CLS has been in touch with me and has now had the fault fixed. Wait for it...................
The problem was nothing to do with the gear box although that is where the problem rears its ugly head.
It was the Electonic throttle sensor that had failed..
Now been replaced and no sign of the problem whatsoever...
Not That I want the car back but i did want to find out the Independants diagnosis.
Amazing that an Independant Dealer can diagnose and fix the problem immidiately but a main MERCEDES DEALER CAN NOT!
So All of the guess work done by MERCEDES BENZ OF TAUNTON was not relevant to the problem with the car and I have been Charged for work that was not Needed. In other words I have been Conned..
WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THAT MERCEDES BENZ OF TAUNTON

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
The problem with all these vehicles is that they are so complicated and even with the right diagnostic equipment it comes down to the experience of the guy operating them. That's why you are sometimes better off with a trusted indie who has Star, is a time served mechanic and has several years MB experience.

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
The Electronic throttle sensor fault is known to Mercedes Benz.
As it is a Known fault why wasnt it changed free of charge?
Why Was That not looked at by the dealer?
And Why was it I was charged every time they took it for a test drive even whilst it was in their care?
So many unanswered Questions & Mercedes Benz of Taunton, and mercedes uk, are unable or unwilling to answer!
And why would they when they can con money out of innocent motorists and fabricate other problems!

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
And Why was it I was charged every time they took it for a test drive even whilst it was in their care?
So many unanswered Questions & Mercedes Benz of Taunton, and mercedes uk, are unable or unwilling to answer!
And why would they when they can con money out of innocent motorists and fabricate other problems!

Hi Firstar,
What a sorry tale, I unfortunately had a bad experience with BMW of Carlisle when I owned a 2 year old BMW 5 Series the car started burning oil and I took it in for diagnosis, and was told it was fine so I paid the bill and during the next 1000mls added a litre of oil, then I read about the Nicasil problems on this engine (via the net) apparently it was a common failure on the E39 petrol engine, so off I went back to BMW and asked for a compression test, later that day I got a phone call from the service manager who said , Bad news Mr Beard your engine has low compression on 2 cylinders and will need replacing, I thought magic I am getting a new engine under warranty as it was very low mileage and had full BMW service history, WRONG!! the manager carried on to say it will cost £3,500 + vat+ fluids, when I pointed out it was a common fault known by BMW he said no it isnt, and even if it was your car was,nt serviced by us!!, I was fuming so went to collect the car and was handed a £60 bill for the test, I then went back to work and rang BMW in Lindale near Kendal and as soon as I said about the oil usage he said ooh you need a new engine give me the chassis number and I will get back to you, 2 hrs later he rang me back and told me if I got the car to them they will do all the work and supply a new factory engine free of charge apart from fluids, I took the car in on a friday and got a phone call the following wednesday to tell me it was ready, I went to pick it up and the manager met me at reception and handed me the keys and apologised for BMW Carlisles attitude, I asked for the bill for the fluids etc and he said we dont have a bill for fluids its on us.
Now that was service for you, apparently BMW in Lindale had been contacted by a few of Carlisles customers who had been told they would have to pay for the engine and work, needless to say I put it all in writing to the Carlisle dealerships principle who rang me and apologised and asked if there was anyway he could appease me, I said yes dont take on the Mercedes Dealership as thats what I am buying next and I put the phone down, so it just shows a customers perception of a make of car can be alterered by one bad experience with a crap dealership, I would never buy another BMW because of my experience and thats a shame as they are very good cars.

Rant over ;)

Good luck

Alfiebeard

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
needless to say I put it all in writing to the Carlisle dealerships principle who rang me and apologised and asked if there was anyway he could appease me, I said yes dont take on the Mercedes Dealership as thats what I am buying next and I put the phone down,
Classic answer. Well done.

I bet BMW Lindale were more than happy to pay for a few fluids to attract ex-Carlilse customers.
I can't believe Carlisle tried to stiff the customers for new engines, everybody knew about the Nicasil problems.
I know a trader who bought a car cheap at auction because it had a worn out engine, knowing BMW would fit a brand new engine.

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Classic answer. Well done.

I bet BMW Lindale were more than happy to pay for a few fluids to attract ex-Carlilse customers.
I can't believe Carlisle tried to stiff the customers for new engines, everybody knew about the Nicasil problems.
I know a trader who bought a car cheap at auction because it had a worn out engine, knowing BMW would fit a brand new engine.

Yes you are right,

I have posted these details all over the net since it happened so Carlisle must have lost some customers through it all, I reckon they would get the engine from BMW under warranty and get paid for it from me and claim back the labour from BMW, I should really have wrote to BMW head office, but it ****ed me off that much I just thought sod it:lol:.

Alfiebeard

OP
F

Firststar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLS320 CDi
Exactly my response Alfie,
Once F****d over by a dealership it puts you off the marque completely, so you can understand where I am coming from.
I refuse to be a cash cow from an indifferent manufacturer.
The fact That Both Mercedes UK & Taunton Mercedes are aware of this thread and refuse to act on it is remarkable.
I take it you were on about Lloyds in carlisle?
You would think in this day and age manufacturers would hold their hands up and acknowledge problems when they are aware of them and do the honest thing and put them right Free of Charge without the customer,Who after all has paid a premium to have more prestige marques, having to resort to paying out and then feeling short changed and let down.
As I Have said before I dont believe that marques such as Mercedes care about the Individuals who purchase their cars and are only Interested in corporate sales who buy their fleets year in year out at a heavily discounted rate, And that these marques just see individual owners who pay hugely exaggerated Inflated prices for their cars and servicing as a way of raking in
money.
When I read some of the posts on here it does make you think if going for top marques is really worth the premiums we pay.
Lets face it all of the toys and gadgets we get in our bmws and mercs are now readily available in fords & vauxhalls at a much lower price.
And I will admit I am a bit badge snobbery orientated but it does make you think when the lower marques can offer longer warranties and cheaper servicing costs whether it really is worth it.

Thanks for the weather update, Am coming up to D & G in a couple of weeks to do some sea fishing from burrowhead, Isle of whithorn, keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is nice for the week.

B

bobceeuk

(Lots snipped).
Lets face it all of the toys and gadgets we get in our bmws and mercs are now readily available in fords & vauxhalls at a much lower price.
And I will admit I am a bit badge snobbery orientated but it does make you think when the lower marques can offer longer warranties and cheaper servicing costs whether it really is worth it..

I quite liked the look of a Vauxhall people carrier: until I had a ride in one which had done 1/3 the mileage of my ex Roman Legion e-class. Everything rattled, from the dash to the rear door.

At 327k miles my Mercedes has no internal rattles, or worn looking upholstery.

I think that might have something to do with price differentials;).

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score

I'm not sure by how much you are out of pocket here , or exactly how you stand in law , but I'm guessing you paid this Taunton dealership a fair amount to fix your car and they did not fix it .

Since you will no doubt have a few invoices from them for their 'efforts' , and can probably obtain a diagnosis from the independent who did , in the end , fix it , as well as being able to show somehow that this sensor is ' a known fault ' - I'd have thought you'd have a very good chance of taking them to the small claims court and getting your money back .

It has to be worth at least talking to a solicitor , and getting legal advice on this matter ?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
I wish Taunton would hurry up and offer a full refund or this thread will go on for ever and not only drag the marque into further disrepute but lose Mercedes Benz a great deal of customers and money?

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
There's the product, then there's the people who provide service for that product. Sadly there are dealers who through laziness, incompetence or plain stupidity, make statements that are untrue. Things that are accepted as common faults, because these people are too lazy to take an interest, use their stock answer of no it isn't. Even in single dealerships you get a wide range of people. Some good, some hopeless. So, to generalise on a particular marque is ultimatley unhelpful. I've had 'No' from Girlies at MB Leeds a few times, and then gone to see a guy called John, who I've known for over 10 years now, and it suddenly becomes 'No problem'. On one occasion, when he couldn't find me a mechanic for a quick issue, he took my car into the workshop and sorted it himself. So, Brilliant and crap, separated by one desk. Afaik, there is no marque that is any different. I'#ve had idiots at BMW try to rip me off, Ford screw up a service, I could go on. Basic rule, don't dump the marque if you're generally happy with the car itself, just change your garage and also pick an appropriate one. If the dealer can't get to the bottom of an issue in 2 visits, then its clearly beyond them and you need to take it to an indie.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
This thread deserves "to go on forever"..
I hope its brought to the attention of MERCEDES BENZ OF TAUNTON..
This is the sort of negative publicity that will hit them where it hurts..
I suggest a little e-mail to them with the link to the beginning of this thread.!!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Brilliant and crap, separated by one desk. AFAIK, there is no marque that is any different. I'#ve had idiots at BMW try to rip me off, Ford screw up a service, I could go on. Basic rule, don't dump the marque if you're generally happy with the car itself, just change your garage and also pick an appropriate one. If the dealer can't get to the bottom of an issue in 2 visits, then its clearly beyond them and you need to take it to an Indie.

Very wise counsel JB. I tend not to make a fuss, but vote with my feet. Very British, I know and the counter argument is that the unsuccessful supplier does not learn (directly) by my behaviour.

However, talking to other providers like Airlines (!) I have been known to use expressions such as "I do not use your service from choice, it is the only one connecting me to my destination". I would be as well to talk to the wall - once you have ticked the "Terms and conditions" box, you are effectively cargo, and non urgent cargo at that.

A bit of a digression I accept, but it just underscores JB's point, it is the people, not the product. The good ones can be excellent, and many are. The others really can depress me, and often do.

I think the advantage the Indies have is that they are much closer to the customer. Not only do they want to do their best, the effects of not doing so would be much more immediate and painful. They are not insulated by layers of "brand" mumbo jumbo, "world class performance and total quality". It either works or it does not, and there is no hiding place.

And when you can see that someone is doing their best, you become much more sympathetic to the conditions under which they work, and very much less likely to be upset.

Pontoneer

Banned
Reaction score
I agree - it is just unfortunate that Firststar went from being a happy customer with a nice car with which he was very happy , to an unhappy one and ultimately an ex-customer who chose to go elsewhere because he did not get the level of service he expected .

It is also unfortunate that he was relieved of a considerable sum of money and still ended up with a car in which the original problem persisted and in which he lost all confidence - despite going to a main dealer who ought to have had the expertise to fix it properly at the first attempt . To be further charged for additional unsuccessful attempts to repair is not only outrageous but unacceptable .

No doubt , when he traded his car for a BMW he ended up getting a lesser allowance than he would have received for a fault free car ?

I would like to think that , if this matter went before the small claims court , supported by various invoices from MB Taunton , showing what they did and how much they charged ; a report from the workshop where the car was eventually repaired stating what was actually wrong ; a valuation of the repaired car compared to the allowance given for it against the BMW ; and a printout of this thread , that the court would find in Firststar's favour , hopefully awarding him a refund of all monies paid to Taunton plus the difference in value allowed against his car as a trade in and what it ought to have been worth , again to be paid by Taunton . If only 'Judge Judy' sat in a court over here !

Even though the gentleman has moved onto BMW , some financial redress would not go amiss .

We can all live in hope .

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom