Mercedes S class 320 cdi excessive smoking

Russelld

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S-Class
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some help, my 2006 S class diesel is smoking really badly, you may have seen some of my other posts regarding this, another user - mercuser had the same problem as mine but the end solution to his problem was never posted on here, the car has just been in the Merc dealership for 5 weeks and no one could tell what was wrong as the car has no fault codes, there was damage to the turbo so I have replaced and also replaced injector no 6 (over 2k) to which we though was the problem solved, before this I had also changed the DPF with an aftermarket one, oxygen sensor upgrade, differential pressure sensor has been changed twice, temp sensor going into DPF has been done, the vehicle is a chauffeur car and it does not sit with the engine idling while waiting for clients as i know this is very bad for the DPF. Timing chain has also been replaced at main dealer.
Before changing the turbo and injector the car was smoking really badly with plumes of White blue smoke and had a really strong sulphur smell which would eventually come into the cabin of the car, now it is more a clear smoke, it happens when you have been driving then pull up to a stop then drive off again it blows smoke then it clears, car runs perfectly all the time but obv still something wrong?

I am thinking of getting the DPF mapped out of the ECU but I am very apprehensive about doing it, has anyone done this on this vehicle before or know somewhere that could do it for me, I am in Edinburgh Scotland.

Or can anyone shed light on the above or anything else i should change, I am demented with this car and need it for lots of work ASAP, also go on holiday on thurs and need it fixed before then?

PLEASE HELP !

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
I can't really help (only asking more perhaps irrelevant info), but did you checked what DPF is doing? Is it regenerating all the time? It may not trigger fault codes if system thinks its ok to burn DPF continuously. Did you change DPF after turbo failure? Turbo boost fail may clog the DPF so bad that it will not recover any more (but your dealership should have checked this already). Gutting the DPF and removing from system is not straightforward job, sometimes it help, sometimes causing more strange and untraceable problems.

OP
R

Russelld

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S-Class
I can't really help (only asking more perhaps irrelevant info), but did you checked what DPF is doing? Is it regenerating all the time? It may not trigger fault codes if system thinks its ok to burn DPF continuously. Did you change DPF after turbo failure? Turbo boost fail may clog the DPF so bad that it will not recover any more (but your dealership should have checked this already). Gutting the DPF and removing from system is not straightforward job, sometimes it help, sometimes causing more strange and untraceable problems.

Hi there, thanks for your reply, yes the DPF was changed before the turbo failure, but was taken off and cleaned by the dealer, this is a nightmare!

Trixterofdoom

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
S320 2006 diesel smoking

Hey was just wondering if you solved the problem, as my dads a class is doing the exact same thing.. And smoking blue smoke constantly, however I did notice the oil was running low, and topped it up right away.. Also I changed the turbo inlet seals as there was a tiny oil leak under it, but the problem still persists, and the turbo seems just fine. Not sure what the problem could be??:confused:

Gus316

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 316 57
Hey was just wondering if you solved the problem, as my dads a class is doing the exact same thing.. And smoking blue smoke constantly, however I did notice the oil was running low, and topped it up right away.. Also I changed the turbo inlet seals as there was a tiny oil leak under it, but the problem still persists, and the turbo seems just fine. Not sure what the problem could be??:confused:
Have you by any chance noticed whether it smokes less when the fuel tank is low, then re smokes again when you put fuel in.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Have you by any chance noticed whether it smokes less when the fuel tank is low, then re smokes again when you put fuel in.

Do you know the post you are asking questions about is from 2014 :p

Gus316

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 316 57
Hi there, thanks for your reply, yes the DPF was changed before the turbo failure, but was taken off and cleaned by the dealer, this is a nightmare!
If you are thinking of removing the dpf. dont cut the case and remove, remove the dpf and knock the centre out with a strong bar. refit, then blank the egr valve of with blanking plate. then get it remapped £250 nearest to me is a place at darwin/blackburn lancs. If you cut the case and reweld, it will fail the MOT, AND THE EMMISIONS TEST.All testers are told to look out for welded dpf's.Or you could buy an exhaust from a vehicle without dpf and fit that but still blank off the egr. the re tuners will probably blank off the vac pipes etc.

Borys

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes e220 night edition
Had exactly the same problem with my S class. Unfortunetally no one was able to fix it. Had new dpf,egr,all turbo related sensors changed did not help a bit. MB dealer made it worse breaking 3 glow plugs trying to do compression test (which can be done via Star). Gave the car back to the dealer where I bought it from. See the video, car would do that like clock work every 60 miles :-0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4LLV8gkKkI

dedicatedtoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI
Smoking

Hi, Have read this useful (if a bit dated) thread with interest as my 51 plate (99,000 mile good service history) W221 S320Cdi is smoking a lot. Unlike most of this thread my smoke is thick black!. A couple of points:
The engine temp seems low at about the 40 degree mark. On one occasion when driven vigorously it went up to 80 and the smoke got worse.
It seems to smoke worse when it has a decent amount of fuel in it (about half or more)
I have had it on diagnostic and no fault codes show up
It drives really well, pulls well, runs smoothly, changes gear nicely and the turbo is nice and smooth.
One "bar expert" said it was the turbo seal , but in my experience that usually shows a fault code, and another said it was the injector seal.
Before I go spending my hard earned can anybody let me know if they think it could be something else or if one of these is the likely culprit?
As I said, it is driving well and bar the fact it may well fail an MOT, it may be just to leave it but it is embarrassing to say the least when you pull away and leave those behind in a cloud of smoke:

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Get it on a MB Star machine for a session.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
sounds like underboost problem, like blocked cooler (temperature dependency)

dedicatedtoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI
Thanks Mersum1es, can you elaborate. what could be blocked and what would I need to do to resolve it?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Mersum1es, can you elaborate. what could be blocked and what would I need to do to resolve it?

CAC = charge air cooler, follow hose from turbo to below radiator, cooler is there. You need to remove turbo hoses from cooler to see if air flow is blocked by black oily s***.

I am not saying its only possible culprit, you may have may other issues like boost leak, turbo vane jamming, turbo actuator jamming, boost leak via EGR (often triggers fault code tough) etc...

I cannot see how amount of fuel would be related, under pressure in fuel definately triggers limp mode / shut down of engine.

But black smoke IS result of insufficient amount or air in cylinder, so I would check splits in turbo hoses, EGR cleanless, MAF condition, CAC free flow. Advice above is good, get it read by star diagnosis. There you can see air mass fed, boost pressures, charge air temp, make individual component test etc.

dedicatedtoMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320CDI
Thanks to all who made suggestions as to how to stop smoking! In the end it was quite easy. New thermostat (£50 Euro parts) and new injectors seals (£8 E-bay) (Did have to replace fuel line (£50 from MB), as I broke a fitting that had become brittle but in truth that was as much my fault as anything) Car now runs like a dream but still work to do.... will post my next challenge under a new heading

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Nice easy fix in the end, thanks for sharing the conclusion, hopefully it will help someone else in the future

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom