1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes W124 230CE advice and car needed.

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by firstmerc, Feb 15, 2006.

1. firstmerc

firstmerc Member

Your Mercedes:
    1993 220TE
    Hi all, i am looking for advice about a 230 CE (i am also looking for the car) for a mate of mine, he is looking for a 230CE up to £1300, and must have good history, and mot and tax. Does anybody have any advice for buying these cars (what to look for, what can go wrong, etc). If your 230CE is for sale please PM me :)

2. turnipsock

turnipsock Senior Member

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Senior Member

For a 230CE at that price, you're looking for an 88-89 model but een so you friend'll be struggling to find a minter (even as a private sale).

If it has a good history (oil changes at 6K) check the cam chain (you can see it through the oil filler hole) if it's duplex, it should be OK, if simplex (single row chain) you want evidence of chain changes at 60K or so or be happy it's tighter than a mouse's ear.

Other than that, check for rust around the wheel-arches, the window seals are still good, any delamination of the rear wndow hasn't stopped the heated window working and that the gearbox doesn't slip.

For £1300 a 230E saloon or a 2.6 190E might be a safer bet.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006