Message for Talbir

Uppo

Reaction score
Hello Talbir,
I wonder if it is possible that you can advise?

There is a possibility of purchasing a 1987 560 SEC AMG,
Is there such a thing as above mentioned car, and if so,
would you know what I need to look for to confirm it having
an AMG engine, as the owner has said that the engine is AMG.
Would it be as simple as my car and have it stamped on the airbox?
Any information on this matter would be appreciated,

Regards,

Terry Upton.

mjtray

Reaction score
If the engine has been breathed on by AMG for the SEC series, it could take two forms....the most common was a camshaft upgrade on both banks and I believe slightly different exhaust manifolds which gave from memory 30bhp extra.....by the way AMG exhaust manifolds do not look like works of art from this period...they look as if a blind man has been asked to weld them up.

The far more expensive and I mean really expensive is the fitment of AMG's own Quad Cam Heads.....these are massive and you can not confuse them with the normal M117 cylinder heads they are that different.....very rare...only 195 engines in total worldwide and were fitted to SEC's, S Class, W124's, G Class, and Sauber Le Man racing cars, albeit heavily modified and twin turbo'd

The problem you have with AMG in the 80's is that you could ask them to do anything, ie just upgrade the cam's or something as simple as just fitting an AMG steering wheel. They would only put an AMG identification plate on the front engine slam panel if the car had been built at the AMG factory......95% of all cars that received AMG treatment in the UK were done by Strattons the AMG agents at the time and not the factory in Germany. They only did the very very expensive conversions.

OP
U

Uppo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mjtray.

I will keep you informed of what the car turns out to be,

Regards,

Terry.

OP
U

Uppo

Reaction score
560 Sec Amg

Just to keep you updated,

Ive had a snippet of info come through on the car saying it has AMG Wheels, Bodykit and CAMS!!! Could be interesting,
Watch this space,
I'll let you know more when I do!

Terry.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom