Mice under the bonnet Arghhhh!

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
Just had my almost 3 year old S205 serviced and Mot'd prior to the warranty running out.
All good except noted on the service sheet is rodent ingress under the engine cover, the mechanic took me out to show where the little blighter has nibbled some of the insulation from the injector connecting wires and another bit on the fuel return pipe, nothing too serious at the moment but needs taping over and extra protection adding. plus I need ideas on how to stop it getting back in, so far I have set six traps and ordered a supposed very sensitive humane one, plus some peppermint oil.
Any other sensible suggestions are welcome. Car is always garaged when not in use.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Don't put the car in the garage.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
Get a cat.

One that is not afraid of mice!:)

Depending upon the size of the end connectors, then you could 'sleeve' it. In France, for Rodent protection most domestic wiring is 'sleeved' and there are available various diameters of sleeving. I used to have a Brico Depot catalogue somewhere which showed the types of sleeving available.

I can't seem to find an online catalogue at present.

Alternatively, there used to be a hard plastic spiral product that could be fed around wiring to keep cables together. I've never used it but, try RS Components and see what they have.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
These work well, just need some PP9 batteries. You could wire it under the bonnet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Long-Lif...348714&hash=item51c4ac703f:g:2KgAAOSwAj5Z16yk

I've often wondered if these things actually work so I did a search on You Tube for a real test.
A DB rise is detected by his meter on a unit but may not represent the full increase as the meter is unlikely designed for ultrasonic frequency.
Very interesting anyway.
Snake oil might work just as well.

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I've spent an hour checking every thing and luckily its limited to just a couple of sleeves to the injector wires and a bit of the fuel return outside casing. I have used decent electricians tape to cover the areas and it all looks good, gave the surrounding areas a dose of WD 40 and set traps in the garage. I will leave the car on the drive for a while and keep and eye out just in case. I'm impressed with the dealer 'Esplanade' for spotting it as not that obvious until you look closely. I have been very lucky.
Just got to ensure it does not happen again.
Thanks for the replies, give yours a look just in case, you will have to remove all the plastic covers and use a mirror for the awkward nooks and crannies,

OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Caught 3 in the traps so far just another hundred or so to go LOL

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We get mice at the house in France.
We have the electronic devices which are of questionable use. The best thing we've found other than traps is poison.
You can get pet safe poison boxes too.
The poison can work well as the mice take it back to the best so making it available to others.

Ken_R

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 2006 C230 Estate
This is the cable wrap that I was suggesting.

319fKhuNipL._SX425_.jpg

Let the buggers try and chew through that!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
We get mice at the house in France.
We have the electronic devices which are of questionable use. The best thing we've found other than traps is poison.
You can get pet safe poison boxes too.
The poison can work well as the mice take it back to the best so making it available to others.
Vebicolla if you can get it. It’s mouse glue. Think flypaper writ large. Works a treat. If not, you can’t beat the Little Snapper.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
This is the cable wrap that I was suggesting.

319fKhuNipL._SX425_.jpg

Let the buggers try and chew through that!
They’ll be through it in twenty seconds if whatever it’s wrapping smells good!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
OP
ioweddie

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Its a bit of cruel death, I'd rather it was quick by trap or just repelled to next door lol
In the house I had/have it was a last resort to be honest. I took the humane route, trapping them then releasing half mile away, etc etc, but nothing worked. Would hear the noise in the night, so then as per the immortal lines of Fawlty “this smack on head”

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a bit of cruel death, I'd rather it was quick by trap or just repelled to next door lol
In Italy they smear it on planks of wood and leave them along the edges of rooms/ hallways. In the morning the plank of wood “en mouse” is lifted up by its rope loop and either dropped into a barrel of water or thrown into the local stream/ river for 5 mins, then scraped off and rinse & repeat. Well it’s already rinsed so just repeat.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Split open up a tube of toothpaste, let them at it, very cheap poison we've found :p

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
One that is not afraid of mice!:)

Depending upon the size of the end connectors, then you could 'sleeve' it. In France, for Rodent protection most domestic wiring is 'sleeved' and there are available various diameters of sleeving. I used to have a Brico Depot catalogue somewhere which showed the types of sleeving available.

I can't seem to find an online catalogue at present.

Alternatively, there used to be a hard plastic spiral product that could be fed around wiring to keep cables together. I've never used it but, try RS Components and see what they have.

C35B5D75-5B98-4B24-91F5-2D5AF8CE3D8F.jpeg
WTF! afraid of mice ... he said get a CAT! not a pussy!
No rodents here .... do a bit of species cleansing every night ... as you would! :):):)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom