Mileage.

B

brick10

On my way out this morning the A service came up on the dash, i had a B service at 78311 and i have done 81075, so that is 2764 miles, is the A service due or not?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Was the service record set back to zero when you had that last service?

CJD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
It will all depend when your last service was carried out, if it was nearly a year ago and you have only done 2764 miles that time, then you will be due another service irrespective of how many miles you have covered.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
It used to be that MB's didn't call for a service every 12 months. The oil quality monitor and mileage were more relevant to the service interval. Not sure when that changed. Many thought it was merely a revenue increasing change.

At that sort of mileage I wouldn't consider a service in under 2 years.
I would be more concerned in having the brakes looked over to be sure they aren't tight or seized.

I would imagine my comments will cause responses from those that advocate oil changes much more regularly than I do, But I'm still happy to let an oil change be good for 15k miles+. On the Viano it will be more like 22k (bigger sump).

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
?.. I'm still happy to let an oil change be good for 15k miles+. On the Viano it will be more like 22k (bigger sump).

Bigger sump means more of everything - more oil, more pollutants, more dilution, more particulates, more ...

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Bigger sump means more of everything - more oil, more pollutants, more dilution, more particulates, more ...

When it comes time to top up the oil I'll monitor the service mileage to see if it increases as it used to on my earlier motors. If the engine still monitors oil quality I'll be happy to trust the mileage countdown.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

No it doesn't....
For a given engine a bigger sump slows the rate of pollutant concentrations and oil dilution. The engine doesn't suddenly create more pollutants because the oil capacity is increased (actually it does a little but only because the oil takes longer to heat and its not a linear relationship).

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
My service light just came on too. C Service required in 28 days.
Last one was done just over 4k miles ago in July 2016.

Got plugs and ATF this time too.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No it doesn't....
For a given engine a bigger sump slows the rate of pollutant concentrations and oil dilution. The engine doesn't suddenly create more pollutants because the oil capacity is increased (actually it does a little but only because the oil takes longer to heat and its not a linear relationship).

Yep - you're right. I humbly hang my head - except that the bigger sump has no effect on the rate the engine produces pollutants - it just spreads them through a larger volume of oil. I made that post a bit tongue in cheek.

lieutenant gruber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 E270 CDI
First off, I'm relatively new to MB but I like to think I look after my cars better than the average owner or average garage for that matter (don't get me started). That said, I wouldn't be rushing to change oil and filters that were new less than 3k miles ago, unless it had been in there a couple of years. I agree with the suggestion to check brakes and some other general housekeeping stuff but I do that as a constantly running thing. If you are only doing a few miles a year I'd suggest that checking brakes and things are MORE important that oil changes.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
On my way out this morning the A service came up on the dash, i had a B service at 78311 and i have done 81075, so that is 2764 miles, is the A service due or not?
If your car is 2004/5 ish or earlier , you will be on the 2 year schedule , if newer than that you are on yearly service schedule . So was your last service 11 months ago ? Or 23 months ago ?

Paul1948

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI 2003
Seen the new oil by Mobil good for 20K according to their adverts and video.

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk 500 cabriolet 2005; E280 1993
If your car is 2004/5 ish or earlier , you will be on the 2 year schedule , if newer than that you are on yearly service schedule . So was your last service 11 months ago ? Or 23 months ago ?

I thought like you but below is my recent post on another forum:

I’ve owned a 2005 (first reg 21/04/05) CLK500 Cab since March 2014. It was purchased Approved Used and we drive around 5k miles per annum in it. It is on the ASSYST system, alternating between A and B services. I have an MB printout specifying my VIN number and quoting maintenance interval parameters of 20000km (12400m) or 730 days.

Around 2 years after purchase (in March 2016) the dash indicated a B service due and this was duly carried out at a MB dealership. I know they may not be the cheapest option, but it coincided with a breakdown (due to CPS failure) and recovery; car hire etc all beautifully handled and paid for by Mobilo, so we fancied continuing the Mobilo…

The car dash has just advised “service A due in 19 days”. Fair enough, I thought, and started to investigate MB service costs, thinking it’s the cheaper of the two services, and will get us Mobilo cover for a further two years, just like the last time.

Seemingly not so. MB say everything has changed and car must now be serviced annually, regardless of mileage. Also that since 2 years have elapsed since the last service it will need to be the (bigger) B service again and of course this time it will just get me 1 years Mobilo cover.

I know that 2 years between services may be pushing it a bit, but they’re tough engines (M113) and all specified work is being done when the car is serviced - brake fluid change etc etc.

Are MB allowed to change the rules like this?

I anyone else trying to keep their Mobilo running on a low annual mileage car and finding like me that it just got a whole lot more expensive?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought like you but below is my recent post on another forum:

I’ve owned a 2005 (first reg 21/04/05) CLK500 Cab since March 2014. It was purchased Approved Used and we drive around 5k miles per annum in it. It is on the ASSYST system, alternating between A and B services. I have an MB printout specifying my VIN number and quoting maintenance interval parameters of 20000km (12400m) or 730 days.

Around 2 years after purchase (in March 2016) the dash indicated a B service due and this was duly carried out at a MB dealership. I know they may not be the cheapest option, but it coincided with a breakdown (due to CPS failure) and recovery; car hire etc all beautifully handled and paid for by Mobilo, so we fancied continuing the Mobilo…

The car dash has just advised “service A due in 19 days”. Fair enough, I thought, and started to investigate MB service costs, thinking it’s the cheaper of the two services, and will get us Mobilo cover for a further two years, just like the last time.

Seemingly not so. MB say everything has changed and car must now be serviced annually, regardless of mileage. Also that since 2 years have elapsed since the last service it will need to be the (bigger) B service again and of course this time it will just get me 1 years Mobilo cover.

I know that 2 years between services may be pushing it a bit, but they’re tough engines (M113) and all specified work is being done when the car is serviced - brake fluid change etc etc.

Are MB allowed to change the rules like this?

I anyone else trying to keep their Mobilo running on a low annual mileage car and finding like me that it just got a whole lot more expensive?
That's exactly the reason why a lot of people go the Indy route , especially with older cars . It depends what cost you put on Mobilio . I had to make this decision with both my 2009 cars which are now serviced annually by me with the odd Indy bit thrown in for stuff I don't want to do . My car recovery is now through a Nationwide joint account perk . Thanks for the update by the way , I wasn't aware that all MB's were converted to annual servicing .
Let us know what you decide

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ta for your comments, Wighty.

Having had to use it once, the Mobilo seems a very comprehensive recovery package, and crucially for us covers hols in France and Italy etc, so I'm not sure yet what would replace it and at what cost?

Sold on the Indy route otherwise and use for my 1993 W124

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ta for your comments, Wighty.

Having had to use it once, the Mobilo seems a very comprehensive recovery package, and crucially for us covers hols in France and Italy etc, so I'm not sure yet what would replace it and at what cost?

Sold on the Indy route otherwise and use for my 1993 W124
Yep, my Nationwide cover includes European breakdown cover which is why I have it .

dreadlockdw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mobilo kind of won us over after we swanned about for a few days in a lovely new CLS at no cost while the problem was getting sorted.

That said I clearly need to do my research

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mobilo kind of won us over after we swanned about for a few days in a lovely new CLS at no cost while the problem was getting sorted.

That said I clearly need to do my research
I know what you mean when things work well , my decision was primarily budget related at a time when both cars were due 8 year big services and an ATF change which would have seen a 1k+ bill I thought it was time to get handy myself . That was the same time I retired so I have lots of time and less money than I did :D

Top Bottom