Minor Convertible Roof Problem

garyabarber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Convertible
Hi,

I have just become the proud owner of a 53 plate CLK 320 Convertible. The roof works fine but when closed there is a small piece of black material sticking out on the seam next to the rear window. I have a colleague with the same car and his has the same problem on both sides of his rear window so I'm guessing it might be a common fault. It does not seem to effect the operation but is a bit unsightly. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Hi and welcome , nice car !
It sounds like the lining that sits under the top roof material . If you half fold the roof back and stop it , you may get enough slack around the window to see what it is or poke it back in .

OP
G

garyabarber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Convertible
Hi and welcome , nice car !
It sounds like the lining that sits under the top roof material . If you half fold the roof back and stop it , you may get enough slack around the window to see what it is or poke it back in .

Many thanks. I thought that might be the case but I was not sure if it was okay to stop the roof during its operation. I will give it a go, and yes it is a nice car. I spent a long time finding the right one so looking forward to a great summers motoring.

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
We've got a 2003 CLK 200k convertible. Same fantastic car. We also have the material and insulation coming free from the sides of the rear window. I've seen a few more with the same problem. There's an aluminium trim that's screwed to the frame and should hold the edge of the material in. I tried to undo it to shove the material in, but there's not enough to catch and as you retighten it, more comes out that you're shoving in. Added to that, you need about eight hands to hold the rear window up off the boot, tuck the material in, hold the trim and another two to operate the screwdriver. Then, when you've done that, you go to the other side and the side you just completed pops out again.

Good luck!

OP
G

garyabarber

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Convertible
We've got a 2003 CLK 200k convertible. Same fantastic car. We also have the material and insulation coming free from the sides of the rear window. I've seen a few more with the same problem. There's an aluminium trim that's screwed to the frame and should hold the edge of the material in. I tried to undo it to shove the material in, but there's not enough to catch and as you retighten it, more comes out that you're shoving in. Added to that, you need about eight hands to hold the rear window up off the boot, tuck the material in, hold the trim and another two to operate the screwdriver. Then, when you've done that, you go to the other side and the side you just completed pops out again.

Thank you for your comments. The next time I use the roof I will stop it and have a look. If it turns out to be complicated I will leave well alone. I will let you know how I get on. Can you just clarify stopping the roof during its operation will not do any damage? Somebody told me once you weren't supposed to do that.

Gary

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
you can stop the roof in mid operation. It goes a bit floppy as the hydraulic pressure is lost and gets a bit heavy to move. I've propped it open to get some lubrication into the frame pivots then resumed the open / close. It takes a few seconds to build up pressure then it all moves as it should.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom