Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Its mine I started it, but I can feel my feeblegrip being unwrapped :(

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Carl, just walk away from the thread mate, this one isn't for you. ;)

Why?

I'm not knocking anyone for trying it as I said earlier. But I didn't realise I had to agree with everyone else nor did I realise I wasn't allowed to question something!

Does this forum not promote healthy discussion? I thought that would be the preserve of forums like Focus ST owners etc.

;)

Last edited:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Why?

I'm not knocking anyone for trying it as I said earlier. But I didn't realise I had to agree with everyone else nor did I realise I wasn't allowed to question something!

Does this forum not promote healthy discussion? I thought that would be the preserve of forums like Focus ST owners etc.

;)

Because it's winter tyres all over again, despite everyone saying they work, some folk refuse to believe it even though they have never tried them and have zero experience of them.

Two stroke is the same, I've been using it for years in various cars, this one is on 100,000 miles and it has never harmed it. Even my wife notices the car is smoother and quieter without being told when I've added it, and she knows nothing of mechanical things. Stop looking for proof and try it yourself.

Russ

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I'm not known for trying things that I'm not sure if they could potentially cost me a lot of money without being sure of the "risk vs reward".

Maybe I should just leave the thread alone then, as you obviously can't question people on this forum!!

I'm registered on quite a few forums and known as quite a helpful person. Often explaining my replies in detail if required. But it seems society these days likes people to conform rather than actually think as individuals!

Just as I am not forcing anyone NOT to use it I didn't think it would be an issue to ask is there any proof from reputable source, something like MIRA perhaps.

Obviously I was wrong.

But if I believed everything I read on internet forums then I'd believe (as some still do) that fuel additives work. Even though scientifically they've been proven that they aren't worth it and don't do what it "says on the tin".

Oh and I've used winter tyres a lot. I lived in Germany for 3yrs. ;)

Last edited:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 Series Touring + 911 Carrera 4
It was said with tongue firmly in cheek mate.

I can see you are a person who like 'facts'. Nothing wrong with that, but sometimes you have to just trust people are telling you the truth.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I wasn't having a go and apologise if it came across that way. :)

Oh and being a soldier I am normally treated like a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed on sh!t) despite being up in the food chain. So I'm a bit of a born cynic now. ;)

Group hugs all round :D

Last edited:

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
My admiration and respect to all our service personal.
Well done Carl.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Carl..
Are any of your mates engineers / mechanics in the army?
Ask them their opinion on the merits of 2T in Diesel..

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I did and those I asked said they couldn't see the benefit with modern diesel and modern engines.

But as they work on military vehicles they ask said they couldn't categorically say either way and I'd be better to ask a Mercedes technician.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did and those I asked said they couldn't see the benefit with modern diesel and modern engines.

But as they work on military vehicles they ask said they couldn't categorically say either way and I'd be better to ask a Mercedes technician.

I doubt very much that any Mercedes technician would officially recommend adding anything to fuel to be honest..
Mercedes "Officially" recommend the oil change on my diesel is done every 13k
I have never left a diesel engine that long.
I always do a "secret" oil and filter change at half that without telling them (using Mercedes oil filter)..
I am sure they would not approve of me "over looking after" my engine.
In other words I wont lose sleep over what they endorse (within reason of course).

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I think that I am firmly in the sceptic group with most snake oils but I had an unusual, for me, issue to deal with.
I have never used 2 stroke until my misfuel so i tried it as I thought how I had reduced the lubricity of my fuel by adding petrol.
2 stroke is formulated for the combustion process so I didn't think it was too bad an idea.
Well I have tried it and its definitely quieter which doesn't seem unlikely as I have added lubrication.
I can't think how it will do much more but I don't know we will see.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I doubt very much that any Mercedes technician would officially recommend adding anything to fuel to be honest..
Mercedes "Officially" recommend the oil change on my diesel is done every 13k
I have never left a diesel engine that long.
I always do a "secret" oil and filter change at half that without telling them (using Mercedes oil filter)..
I am sure they would not approve of me "over looking after" my engine.
In other words I wont lose sleep over what they endorse (within reason of course).

I always interim service my cars myself too. ;)

PovertySpec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 CDi 07/57
I always interim service my cars myself too. ;)

Can you provide some peer reviewed evidence for your claim ? :lol: <jk>

I've put 2 stroke in oil burners for ages. Never had a problem. Olden day Mercs could run on lard if they had to.

Modern diesel pumps are more fussy.

If my current engine was a more modern blutec/blurinse engine and I would also want some
proper verifiable data that I wasn't going to bu&&er my engine up, as unlikely as that would be.

I would expect that putting 2 stoke in a modern EcoBluRinse engine would adversely affect the measured emissions.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Can you provide some peer reviewed evidence for your claim ? :lol: <jk>

I've put 2 stroke in oil burners for ages. Never had a problem. Olden day Mercs could run on lard if they had to.

Modern diesel pumps are more fussy.

If my current engine was a more modern blutec/blurinse engine and I would also want some
proper verifiable data that I wasn't going to bu&&er my engine up, as unlikely as that would be.

I would expect that putting 2 stoke in a modern EcoBluRinse engine would adversely affect the measured emissions.

It would or wouldn't affect the engine. Just checking it's not a typo.

But my reasoning behind the questions was because I haven't seen/read of anyone (until the E350 was mentioned) using it in a 2011 engine, or later, like mine.

I shall stick with good old-fashioned ultimate/VPower diseasel for now until I've done more research.

:)

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It would lower them considerably. ;)

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
More anecdotal evidence only I'm afraid, but I've used 2 stroke in my last 2 MBs, the first a 2007 W209 320 CDi and now my 2012 W204 350 CDi. Both these V6's are pretty smooth anyway and, to be honest, that's not the reason I have used it. Definitely the older car felt smoother with 2 stroke added but with the current car, I can't honestly say it sounds any better.
I am, however, sold on the idea that the addition of 2 stroke will give the engine components a longer life. I've spoken to a local indie about this and his experience is that the engine internals remain much cleaner, including the DPF. My DPF doesn't appear to regenerate very often and whilst I can't say categorically, I'm sure the mpg is slightly better than it was during the first few thousand miles when I didn't use it in this car. That may, of course, be due to the engine loosening up though.
My belief is that the addition of 2 stroke definitely can't do any harm and over 55k miles in the old car and 21k in the current one, I've had no problems whatsoever. The indie I use, has probably seen inside more Diesel engines than I ever will and I trust his judgment on this.
For me it's a very small additional cost for a lot of peace of mind. A placebo maybe, but an effective one in my case.
By the way, I also carry out an interim oil and filter change on my cars, believing the official MB period to be too long.

Last edited:

gizze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
By the way, I also carry out an interim oil and filter change on my cars, believing the official MB period to be too long.

Definitely agree with this, this is almost worse than the 'gearbox oil for life'.

12k miles is plenty, I tend to swap mine at 6-8k miles, but the 18k or more miles on some cars is just too many miles.
It will be fine for the first or second owner, but will we see all those million mile Mercs in a few years time? I doubt it.

tel1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class W211 280 cdi
2-stroke oil

i spotted this thread friday night, read it all with interest. i have used millers since purchasing my motor (w211) since october last year, pretty expensive but worth it i thought. so due to fuel up saturday why not give it a go with the 2-stroke. got me a bottle from asda £5.00 for 500 ml went to my local total garage, dont trust supermarket fuel. put the bottle of 2-stroke in then filled up 50 litres. used the car over the weekend, yes it has made a difference easier starting, no more tap tap when you put your foot down and smoother tickover,my workmate couldnt believe the difference of how much smoother the car ticked over. so well worth the read and definately worth doing. nice one for the writeup and info.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you tel1
I fully agree with your comments.
I shall be using it in all Diesels I own.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Out of curiosity I looked in halfrauds today but the only 2T oils they had was a Castrol fully synthetic one, which I believe is no good for DPF's, and one called Castrol Actevo. A quick Google says that it's mineral oil This was JASO FC rated. The fully synthetic was rated JASO FD. Which oil are you all using as I can never find any in halfrauds, Asda etc that is the right spec.

The cheap ones all seem to be FB rated which is the wrong type apparently.

They did all have miller's diesel power eco max though. But apart from raising the cetane a bit that doesn't do anything else from what I've read.

I'm tempted to try it now after all I've read, mainly just to satisfy my curiosity. But need to ensure I use the right oil. Lol

I wonder if I use miller's eco max and 2T I will get an uber clean engined rocket. :D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom