Missing CDi Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor

tallatghazi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 1999 E220 CDi Sedan Facelift
Hi,
I bought my W210 CDi 2.2 two years back, Its working all fine but today it was a great surprise for me when I saw a 3 pin connector near backside of intake manifold. I googled and check it thoroughly and by physical investigation I came to a final conclusion that since from last 2 years I am driving my car without "Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor A6111500494".
This is my first CDi experience, so I am unable to judge the behavior difference between a 2.2 CDi with and without "Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor A6111500494".

Can anyone help me:
1- What is the difference between the behaviour?
2- What benefits I am actually missing (without having the required part)?
3- What could be the reason for which old owner or his mechanic removed this motor?

Thanks!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
looks like a previous owner had modified the manifold , I presume it has swirl flaps so they probably blanked them off

OP
T

tallatghazi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
looks like a previous owner had modified the manifold , I presume it has swirl flaps so they probably blanked them off
Can you please explain, will this be good or bad as compare to stock engineering?

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Just before entering the combustion chambers air passes through regulator vanes inside the inlet manifold, these vanes, commonly known as “swirl flaps” are controlled by a Servo/actuator Motor attached to the underside of the inlet manifold which is controlled by the ECU. The primary function of these vanes is to increase the efficiency of the engines combustion process at lower rpm’s. They tend to get clogged up with oily soot from the egr/turbo and very occasionally can break away and cause catastrophic damage to the engine, "swirl flap delete" is a fairly common procedure as it permanently removes one of the more problematic elements of this particular CDI engine.

OP
T

tallatghazi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just before entering the combustion chambers air passes through regulator vanes inside the inlet manifold, these vanes, commonly known as “swirl flaps” are controlled by a Servo/actuator Motor attached to the underside of the inlet manifold which is controlled by the ECU. The primary function of these vanes is to increase the efficiency of the engines combustion process at lower rpm’s. They tend to get clogged up with oily soot from the egr/turbo and very occasionally can break away and cause catastrophic damage to the engine, "swirl flap delete" is a fairly common procedure as it permanently removes one of the more problematic elements of this particular CDI engine.

Thanks for your kind reply...
Will this process causes in bad fuel efficiency (if yes then roughly to what percent?) and little longer crank to start?

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
No problem, To be honest I doubt that you would be able to tell the difference in either fuel economy or performance, especially on an older car, cranking times wont be affected either, the general consensus of opinion seems to be that they are a bit pointless, theoretically deleting them will have a negative effect on emissions, although again its probably marginal, however.....new MOT rules mean that you could be in trouble if the inspector spots that they have been removed, the cars emissions system (cats,egr,dpf,swirl flaps etc) should be as it left the factory.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom