ML270 bent glow plug, no compression after injector seal change

wynanddb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
multiple
I had my vehicle at a shop which was to clean the "black death", refurbish the injectors, and refit them with new washers. Well they couldn't get it started again and I had it towed on a flat bed to the dealers.

The dealers replaced 3 injectors and then it started to sound like it wants to start. They now need to take the head off,as there is no compression on the 1 cylinder. On removing the glow plug in that cylinder, they found it to be bent.

I hope its something "simple" such as a bent valve, and not piston and sleeve.

The dealers recon that when the previous shop removed the injectors and replaced the seals they must have dropped something in that cylinder.

They also say it does not look like the injectors was refurbished or even cleaned at all, just new washers was put on.

I know this all theoretical while we wait for them to get the head off but what do you guys think went wrong?

Maybe a leaking injector which caused a hydrualic lock, but would that bend the glow plug?

Maybe some of the crud fell into the cylinder, and when they turned the engine it got stuck in valve forcing it open and then the piston crown connected with the valve bending it, still doesn't explain the bent glow plug I would think.

Broken connecting rod? Wouldn't that have made one heck of a racket trying to turn the engine?

Any ideas:confused:

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It must have been something in the cylinder that bent the glowplug, but that doesn't explain the non starting as it should fire on the other cylinders.

I think more investigation is required.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom