ML270 Bottom Pulley Key Sheared

IMB

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced problems with the bottom pulley on an ML270. I have an X plated ML270 with just over 60,000 miles on the clock, the bonding on the bottom pulley failed 10 months ago and was replaced by a large chain servicing centre with a 12,000 miles, 12 month warranty. Unfortunately the bottom pulley has failed again but this time the key appears to have sheared and damaged the crankshaft. I have a few questions, firstly is this a common problem and secondly if this is not a known problem for the ML270 do I have reasonable grounds to persue a claim against the repairer, as I'm led to believe this is going to be a very expensive repair. The repairers are currently denying all liability for the damage caused, as I'm not an automotive engineer I feel that I am being fobbed off, I find it hard to believe the bottom pulley could come loose if it was torqued correctly.

Can anyone offer any help or advice please?

Regards

Ian :-(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome with your not such good news.

If torqued correctly there is no way that this can come lose, its the first time that I have heard of this. So I take it that the key way in the crankshaft is damaged.

The correct torque is high. the first stage is 325Nm then second stage angle to + 90 degrees

You must be able to claim, maybe a letter from MB

OP
I

IMB

Reaction score
Thanks - who do I contact at Mercedes for advice

Hi Malcolm, yes the keyway in the crankshaft appears to be damaged, the repair centre initially said the crankshaft wasn't damaged and that as a gesture of goodwill they would replace the pulley. When they eventually tried to repair the car having had it for 8 days they found that they couldn't and are now not acccepting any liability for the repair.

I have tried to have a look around the Mercedes Benz website for the appropriate contact detail, does anyone have the correct details for MB for me to write too.

Regards

Ian

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
If you are a member of the AA or RAC they will assist you because they have a technical investigation dept for such disputes. Otherwise employ your own technical investigator - they are around.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This cannot fail through any other reason than to have been incorrectly torqued

OP
I

IMB

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has responded

I would just like to thank everyone who has responded, as a result of the postings I have gone back to the repairer who has agreed to pay for an independent assessor of my choice and if he concludes that the failure is as a result of the centre bolt not being torqued correctly they will pay for the repairs in full.

Many thanks, fingers crossed the assessor will agree.

Regards

Ian

P.S I live in Northants

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A success to a point, who is going to fit the crankshaft

OP
I

IMB

Reaction score
That hasn't been agreed yet, I presume you would recommend that it is done via a MB main dealer, the repairer has confirmed that it is not work that they would carry out and quite frankly I wouldn't let them near the car again.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom