ML270 gearbox problem

spannerman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The vehicle is an ML270 2001 with about 140K on the clock.
It's a fairly tight driver all round but has a gearbox problem that possibly/probably is related to a failing/failed conductor plate.

When started it drives normally, but if you accelerate hard and it kicks down, it will not change up after that, and even trying to use the triptonic on the gear selector will not make it change.

It will rev high in the gear that it kicked down to,(probably second) so it's not really in limp home mode.

I would really appreciate your views.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi Guys,

The vehicle is an ML270 2001 with about 140K on the clock.
It's a fairly tight driver all round but has a gearbox problem that possibly/probably is related to a failing/failed conductor plate.

When started it drives normally, but if you accelerate hard and it kicks down, it will not change up after that, and even trying to use the triptonic on the gear selector will not make it change.

It will rev high in the gear that it kicked down to,(probably second) so it's not really in limp home mode.

I would really appreciate your views.
When you say there are no codes are you using an MB specific code reader to read the transmission codes or just an generic reader to read the engine codes (generic readers won't read transmission codes).

OP
S

spannerman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

P.S. at one point it did go into neutral.

Is this a selector problem in the box?

I have no OBD Code Reader, so I suppose your first suggestion would be get a code reader and see what faults are there. although I don't know the fault codes/

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok you need to get it on STAR or an iCarsoft i980 / MB-II (ither suitable readers are available but those are the ones favoured here) to read off the codes. Once the codes are read post them up and see what we can find.

OP
S

spannerman

Reaction score
Ok you need to get it on STAR or an iCarsoft i980 / MB-II (ither suitable readers are available but those are the ones favoured here) to read off the codes. Once the codes are read post them up and see what we can find.
LostKiwi,

Thanks for that info.

OP
S

spannerman

Reaction score
OK Guys, here's what I've got:-

P220A Y3/6N2-Y3/6N3 Speed Compar Implausible
P2502 Gear implausible or transmission slipping
P2600 Circuit 87 voltage too low
P2500 Transmission has impermiss transmission ratio

With that list of fault codes what's the outlook?

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom