Mobilo -a Summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
--By the way, have you seen the new Service Inclusive prices for BMW? 5yrs/60K miles for a 5 series: £350.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport

Must they - where does it say that?

To be fair, how do they know it's been done properly & with the correct MB fluid? You could just get mate with a garage to knock up a suitable receipt.

Same as with the 3 year warranty. They must allow people to get serviced elsewhere than at an MB dealer.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
--By the way, have you seen the new Service Inclusive prices for BMW? 5yrs/60K miles for a 5 series: £350.

Loss leaders abound in the motor trade. Sometimes it is cheap servicing as BMW are doing at the moment, another time it is free upgrades. With MB at the moment it is finance deals at 5.8% where BMW want 9.2%!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Loss leaders abound in the motor trade. Sometimes it is cheap servicing as BMW are doing at the moment..

It's not a temporary offer from BMW.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It's not a temporary offer from BMW.

It is. I was told only yesterday that it is on cars sold by end March.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is. I was told only yesterday that it is on cars sold by end March.

Hmmm...we'll see. There's no suggestion on their website that it's a limited time offer and news articles about it say the picing has been "restructured" which does not imply a special offer.

In North America BMW servicing is free for first few years, and, of course, they've offered it very cheaply here on MINI for years.

Interesting to compare BMW's £350 price for a 5 Series for 5yrs/60K vs 5yrs/60K miles on an E Class is £2850 for Care. :shock:

MB's Care prices are just stupid - they're way dearer than paying cash for servicing as you go.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
I agree: that is maddening that you cannot top up to include punctures on older vehicles -including mine!. The new system started for cars registered after April 1st 2008 and on that they have annouced they will introduce a top-up system. Mine was registered on March 3rd!

And mine was first registered on 25th March 2008!!! If only I knew then what I know now!

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Several misunderstandings here. Mobilo is not a warranty in the normal sense and never has been. There is a 3 year warranty on the car. Mobilo comes as an addition and is a free breakdown service provided people keep up the MB service record. It also includes a 30 year rust guarantee since October 24th 1998. Prior to that there was an 8 year rust guarantee.

Mercedes have repaired rust on numerous cars that have not had a full MBSH as many threads will testify. They have done so as 'goodwill'.

As for how the cars are built now, cars produced in 2003 and onwards have all steel panels fully galvanised. See this thread: -

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=23630

I have today been to MB Oxford about early stage corrosion under the wheel arches and on the wheels, in particular around the holes for the tyre valve, of my September 2003 R230. Referring to your link and judging by the early stage corrosion the steel panels on my car are NOT galvanised.
Lynne at MB Oxford took photographs for forwarding to Liam Kenny their local body repair shop in order for the work to be priced for the benefit of MB (UK?) prior to them sanctioning the work.
I was asked about full MB service record, which the car has at MB Oxford with the next service due within 500 miles.
I was also advised that MB will not sanction corrosion claims on a vehicle more than 8yrs. old (I am not minded to enter into an arguement which in my case would be academic).
I was further advised that MB would not address the corrosion on my wheels (the wheels have not been kerbed nor suffered external damage) because they are more than 3yrs. old so I ask myself what is the ''status'' of a wheel so far as Mobilo Life is concerned?
Mobilo Life in my service booklet is referred to as a ''unique long-term WARRANTY package''.

Mic

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Hmmm...we'll see. There's no suggestion on their website that it's a limited time offer and news articles about it say the picing has been "restructured" which does not imply a special offer.

In North America BMW servicing is free for first few years, and, of course, they've offered it very cheaply here on MINI for years.

Interesting to compare BMW's £350 price for a 5 Series for 5yrs/60K vs 5yrs/60K miles on an E Class is £2850 for Care. :shock:

MB's Care prices are just stupid - they're way dearer than paying cash for servicing as you go.

Woops! You are not comparing like with like. The cheap BMW scheme covers basis services only. If you go to their website you will see they have the equivalent of an MB scheme covering servicing, brakes etc etc and that costs a lot more.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Woops! You are not comparing like with like. The cheap BMW scheme covers basis services only. If you go to their website you will see they have the equivalent of an MB scheme covering servicing, brakes etc etc and that costs a lot more.

It is *exactly* the same.
BMW Service inclusive for £350 is the same as Mercedes Care for £2850.
(based on 5 Series / E Class for 5yrs/60K miles)

Mercedes Total Care is £3450. For £600 extra you might as well have that. Or you could buy a BMW and take their equivalent, Service Inclusive Plus, for £1650.

For the Care package, Mercedes is asking E Class buyers to pay considerably more than the servicing would actually cost!

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
It is *exactly* the same.
BMW Service inclusive for £350 is the same as Mercedes Care for £2850.
(based on 5 Series / E Class for 5yrs/60K miles)

Mercedes Total Care is £3450. For £600 extra you might as well have that. Or you could buy a BMW and take their equivalent, Service Inclusive Plus, for £1650.

For the Care package, Mercedes is asking E Class buyers to pay considerably more than the servicing would actually cost!

Bit difficult to compare because the offers are provided if bought at first registration. They also show the after sales price of the service package and on the 5 series this is around £2,000 for service plus inclusive (depending on model and level of cover) if I have read their website correctly.

But I do agree that BMW do make relatively cheap service packages a major part of their sales promotion just as Mercedes make good finance packages part of theirs.

Personally I have never found any MB that costs as much to service in real life as the packages cost.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Personally I have never found any MB that costs as much to service in real life as the packages cost.

That's my main beef with it. There's no risk for MB so why load the price so much?

When I got my car I was regaled by 2 dealer service departments with stories of enormous servicing costs. I had a quote for 30K per year full maint (but without tyres) of £135/mth! It made me think hard about getting the car.

I didn't take it and due to a role change my mileage has been a lot less than expected. For years 3-6 I'm paying £70/mth for ServicePlus but I don't mind that as I hope it effectively gives me warranty coverage. As it happens I haven't tested that as the car has been more or less faultless.

I need to replace the car this year as I'm not supposed to run it beyond 6 years, but there's no sensible option available from Mercedes which will enable me to be able to go into the dealer without having a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Corrosion Update

I have today been to MB Oxford about early stage corrosion under the wheel arches and on the wheels, in particular around the holes for the tyre valve, of my September 2003 R230. Referring to your link and judging by the early stage corrosion the steel panels on my car are NOT galvanised.
Lynne at MB Oxford took photographs for forwarding to Liam Kenny their local body repair shop in order for the work to be priced for the benefit of MB (UK?) prior to them sanctioning the work.
I was asked about full MB service record, which the car has at MB Oxford with the next service due within 500 miles.
I was also advised that MB will not sanction corrosion claims on a vehicle more than 8yrs. old (I am not minded to enter into an arguement which in my case would be academic).
I was further advised that MB would not address the corrosion on my wheels (the wheels have not been kerbed nor suffered external damage) because they are more than 3yrs. old so I ask myself what is the ''status'' of a wheel so far as Mobilo Life is concerned?
Mobilo Life in my service booklet is referred to as a ''unique long-term WARRANTY package''.

Mic[/QUOTE]

Last week my car was at Liam Kenny's, MB UK's nominated body repair shop, for corrosion eradication work at MB UK's expense as a GOOD WILL gesture. I have posted here with my earlier post for ease of reference and I have also copied a letter received from MB UK which I received 05.03.10 which was the day after the work was completed.
Although MB UK only sanctioned three of four wheel arches for remedial work (not to sanction the third wheel arch for remedial work for the reason given was both churlish and complete nonsense) the body shop did do all four wheel arches including full panel resprays together with both doors for perfect colour match along both sides of the car. The body shop have included Waxoyling as part of their procedures and warrant their work for the life time of the vehicle....I have as yet no documentation supporting this claim but given the MB UK letter there will be further correspondence between myself and MB UK. I have still to do an inch by inch polishing type inspection of Liam Kenny's work but a more superficial inspection would suggest that they have done a very good job.
Obviously I take the view, as I suspect do most contributors to this Forum, that corrosion is corrosion and provided that it is not the result of external forces such as crash, scratch or stone damage MB UK have (should have) a greater responsibility than that of discretionary good will (allegedly for up to 8yrs. after first registration) for any and all corrosion which they deem not to be perforation from the inside out.....and what has a sevicing regime got to do with corrosion ?????
I trust this up date has been of some interest and I expect to be Posting again in due course about my interpretation of what consumers can realistically expect from MB UK in relation to corrosion.
MB UK 03.03.10 Warranty.jpg

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
I too have just found corrosion on both rear wheel arches on the inside lip and will be taking my car into MB tomorrow. When I phoned, the warranty manager gave me a positive feeling that it should be no problem. Like MIC my car is 2003 (Nov) build and is within this arbitary 8yr lifespan and with FMBSH so we will see.

Any other R230 of similar vintage out there with the same problem?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Cant be bad to get almost a complete respray,,I would have paid to have had it all done

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Cant be bad to get almost a complete respray,,I would have paid to have had it all done

If I had known of your philanthropic disposition towards my car at the time it was with the bodyshop I would have taken advantage of your generosity.

Mic

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I too have just found corrosion on both rear wheel arches on the inside lip and will be taking my car into MB tomorrow. When I phoned, the warranty manager gave me a positive feeling that it should be no problem. Like MIC my car is 2003 (Nov) build and is within this arbitary 8yr lifespan and with FMBSH so we will see.

Any other R230 of similar vintage out there with the same problem?

I am interested to know if anyone else ,circa 2002-05 has this problem, yes or no. Im told by MB its uncommon but as these cars aren't galvanised I suspect its actually quite common. From late 2005 they used galvasnised steel so MB must have cause to do this:rolleyes:

Any R230 owners please reply either way:lol:

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I am interested to know if anyone else ,circa 2002-05 has this problem, yes or no. Im told by MB its uncommon but as these cars aren't galvanised I suspect its actually quite common. From late 2005 they used galvasnised steel so MB must have cause to do this:rolleyes:

Any R230 owners please reply either way:lol:

Galvanising began on some models as early as late 2002. See the galvanising sticky in the bodywork section.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Galvanising began on some models as early as late 2002. See the galvanising sticky in the bodywork section.

You cant be sure though on an R230. Could be galvanised or not ( mine obviously isnt) so I picked up to 2005 on the basis that from that date it almost certainly is galvanised

My question still stands for R230 owners:lol:

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You cant be sure though on an R230. Could be galvanised or not ( mine obviously isnt) so I picked up to 2005 on the basis that from that date it almost certainly is galvanised

My question still stands for R230 owners:lol:

If you check the build date you can be sure about late 2004 onwards, From the galvanising 'sticky' in the bodywork section: -

"SL CLASS –R230 series

This is not so easy to be specific because the change-over period
continued right through into Q3 2004. So although many SLs were galvanised in early 2004 it is not till the end of the third quarter of 2004 that one can say that all were galvanised."

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom