Motorform.De

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I ordered a roof hoist from this company on 4th April and made immediate payment, to date despite numerous emails and trying to call them but getting no reply I have yet to hear a word as to when my order will be shipped.

It's got to the stage where I emailed them yesterday advising them that if I did not hear from them within 48 hours I would be contacting Paypal and seeking a refund.

For those members on here who have these what were your experiences when dealing with them, by far the worst ever Germany company I've dealt with and with my car and bike I've used a few. :(

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
mine arrived in a couple of days no problems, but that was 10 years ago. They do say shipping in 7-10 days and you had Easter as well. Perhaps they are making them to order now.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
mine arrived in a couple of days no problems, but that was 10 years ago. They do say shipping in 7-10 days and you had Easter as well. Perhaps they are making them to order now.

I saw the 7 - 10 days but it's way past that it's 20 days ago Mike, t's not even that so much as the fact that they don't respond to emails or answer their phone. The good news is that today they did finally answer their phone and told me that they will be shipping my order tomorrow and I should receive it on Friday. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah that's great - these things get quite upsetting !

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I appreciate it sounds trivial but for the want of a 2 line reply to my email I wouldn't have had the worry of thinking they'd got my money but gone bust or whatever, to me just simple customer service. Still at least it should have a happy ending on Friday and hopefully I can get it fitted in my garage this coming weekend. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Indeed- completely agree re:customer service, its not rocket science! It's astounding how poorly some firms do it, conversely some do it so well, e.g. Amazon.
Anyway look forward to getting it done now, good luck- maybe some pics if you can manage?

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well my roof hoist finally arrived today, the box was pretty beaten up but other than one small nick in one of the front pads it was ok. I was however a little disappointed to find that I now have to go to B&Q or wherever and source some rather large rawl plugs as they couldn't stretch to including these in the price.
I hope to get it mounted in the garage over the weekend if I can persuade one of my friends to come round and give me a hand, I need to put the hardtop back on so I can line up where to mount it. :)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
That's an irritation - however its with you now and you can get on...

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I'll post some photos up in the next couple of days but my initial observations are that the winch is ludicrously low geared, 25 turns of the handle to one full turn of the drum! Hopefully it will be a twice yearly event, off an back on, as otherwise it would be extremely irritating not to mention give you RSI!
Also there's nothing to lock the winch off with despite the fact I paid extra for the safety winch, which isn't the same as they show in the photo on their website.
The frame itself is fine but for anyone thinking of ordering one of these either order the normal ratchet winch or an electric one, which I could have due to clearance issues. Still accentuate the positive, at least it's no longer taking up space in my kitchen. :)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I'd contemplate making an adapter to fit a power drill to the winch spindle.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Having reread their website the winch I ordered should have come with a removable crank which would make your suggestion much more feasible. Unfortunately as far as I can tell the crank on mine is non removable. I've emailed them asking why this is but going by past experience I'm not expecting a reply anytime soon. Just as an aside the actual frame is fine but I intend fitting some cut down rubber door stops or similar to the pegs that touch that garage ceiling when it's full wound up. The long metal coach bolts that they use to do this do not stop the roof moving around when you open your garage door and it's windy, they just slide across the plaster!

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Hoist%20installed%20and%20roof%20up.jpg

As the point at which I need to take the roof off fell between two joists I had to improvise and screw a bit of wood between the two, here's hoping it holds up.
Correctly%20positioned.jpg

Vintage Racer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SL320 (R129)
Glad I ordered mine with the electric winch!...........That looks like nice job and certainly makes storage easier.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
I need to paint the wood infill to tidy it up, fortunately it should only be a couple of times a year but I may consider changing the winch if it gets to be tiresome. :)

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
I would try and make a fail safe .Just in case it needs to part company with the roof .Nice car by the way .And a good idea .When i moved in to this bungalow my idea was to get a convertable . And to be able to use the garage ,. But the other half [war depot ] she beat me to it, so now its sat on the drive .And have to make do with a car cover ..

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well as with my initial emails to them regarding delivery the email I sent regarding the lack of a removable crank on my winch met with the same response, absolutely nothing, not a word! So for anyone considering purchasing one of these from Motorform be prepared for a long wait and non existent customer care, apart from that it's fine. :(

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Pull it down and send it back claim a refund .Contact pay pal say its not as discribed if the part should be removable. Or bite the bullet , and let it hang for good . ..I allways pay on the card its got a charge back ..

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
The hoist itself is ok just not as described re the removable handle so no point in pulling it down and sending it back just posting my experiences on here for the benefit of anyone else thinking of using them. :)

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom