MPG, computer and oil

Sylar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2006/180k
Hi all,

I changed the oil and filter out of my C class last week. On resetting the service indicator it asked me to advice what quality of oil i had put in, it offered 3 qualitys, "normal" (i think), 229.3 or 229.5. I selected 229.5 as that was the spec added on the change.
To my suprise on resetting it said i have 17000 miles until the next change. Im guessing this is due to 229.5 being selected.
My question is, does the 229.5 selection alter the calculations made for mpg? Ive done a few hundred miles now since the change and have noticed im getting around 36-37mpg instead of the 30ish before the change.

Probably worth adding the car had been supplied with a service just over 1000 miles ago but i didnt trust the oil quality that the small independent dealer may have used. The service indicator showed 10000 miles until next service when i picked the car up so i guess he had selected the "normal" oil on the service indicator. Worth a mention also is the filter looked to be a cheap unbranded sort. Bosch has now been put in which looked to be put together much better.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom