My new 4D number plates.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
whereas I use Halfords when they have giveaways on O2 Priority, or Roger posts tools bargains on here :cool::cool:

which reminds me .... I've a brand new 3/8 socket set in my garage bought for literally a few quid when Halfords had a promotion on :D

snipez999

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
18MY E63S AMG W213
I went pressed metal which have slightly raised characters but are road legal and look nice (in my opinion).
Like many on here I don't need added attention from the Bib

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I went pressed metal which have slightly raised characters but are road legal and look nice (in my opinion).
Like many on here I don't need added attention from the Bib

They are actually illegal on vehicles registered after March 21st 2001 and it is detailed under British Standard BS AU 145d :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
They are actually illegal on vehicles registered after March 21st 2001 and it is detailed under British Standard BS AU 145d :(
Where's your source for this? As far as I'm aware there is no stipulated material, merely a reflectivity, font and colour requirement (plus BS marking with manufacturers postcode).

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I have the newer gel ones where the numbers are actually attached to the plate , they can be bought road legal
according to the seller They are calling them 5D ,

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
I have the newer gel ones where the numbers are actually attached to the plate , they can be bought road legal
according to the seller They are calling them 5D ,
Whenever a seller advises that something is either, legal, safe or fit for purpose, I take it with a pinch of salt.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
What in hell’s name would 5D be? :)
I’m just a normal acrylic, easy to maintain, clean and see kind of number plates guy!

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
I have the newer ones where the numbers are actually attached to the plate , they can be bought road legal
They are calling them 5D , not sure if there’s such a thing as 5
What in hell’s name would 5D be? :)
I’m just a normal acrylic, easy to maintain, clean and see kind of number plates guy!

It’s in old money , your too young. Lol

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Whenever a seller advises that something is either, legal, safe or fit for purpose, I take it with a pinch of salt.

I have been told too remove plates because the print was small and also
when the print was correct size but bigger space. But no trouble with these so far .

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
They are wrong........

Below is the standard, there is no mention of specific materials.

SCHEDULE 2
Regulation 10
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION PLATES PART 1 VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of— (a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d(a), or (b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification, and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.
2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.
3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Judging by the way the automotive trade is going, I give it 5 years before your number plate will be displayed by means of a digital display module that costs about £2,000 if you break it and has to be coded to the car :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are wrong........

Below is the standard, there is no mention of specific materials.

SCHEDULE 2
Regulation 10
REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION PLATES PART 1 VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of— (a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d(a), or (b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification, and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.
2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.
3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

Yes, I think you are right. I have combed the GOV.CO site and it doesn't specify the material of manufacture antwhere. You would of thought that the manufacturer of number plates would know what they are talking about. :rolleyes: Mind you I did think myself that pressed steel number plates were intended for classic cars. :confused:

OP
SmartAmg

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Quite a lot of people fit these pressed metal plates,
particularly on German cars, and even more particularly on V dubs.
You can get totally legal, ones or not quite so legal German font !

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
Quite a lot of people fit these pressed metal plates,
particularly on German cars, and even more particularly on V dubs.
You can get totally legal, ones or not quite so legal German font !
Good point about the V dub scene, loads out there.

Top Bottom