New and now Ex GLE Owner Here

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
Hi All,

Just joining this forum as I have a question regarding security of these newer Mercs.

Had a GLE 250d Prem Plus with Night Pack delivered first week in March... stolen this morning. Devastated and will post in one of the forums.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome, but what a horrible story!
There's been a lot said about key cloning I believe and that's affecting a lot of brands (I believe BMW in particular). I had an Autowatch Ghost fitted to my E63 for that very reason...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Well, welcome to the forum but what a blow. I hope it is recovered intact.

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
Welcome, but what a horrible story!
There's been a lot said about key cloning I believe and that's affecting a lot of brands (I believe BMW in particular). I had an Autowatch Ghost fitted to my E63 for that very reason...

Key wasn't cloned - they used a device to amplify my keys signal from the front of my house all the way to the car to be able to use the keyless entry :( Posted a thread about it now.

OP
W

Wolverine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLE 250d AMG Prem Plus
Well, welcome to the forum but what a blow. I hope it is recovered intact.

They look like they knew what they were doing. Stolen at 3am, reported at 7am, car is probably in a shipping container or had plates changed by now.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Key wasn't cloned - they used a device to amplify my keys signal from the front of my house all the way to the car to be able to use the keyless entry :( Posted a thread about it now.
Ah yes, heard about that too, even worse. The Ghost stops that nonsense too.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
They look like they knew what they were doing. Stolen at 3am, reported at 7am, car is probably in a shipping container or had plates changed by now.
Yes, probably stolen 'to order'- scumbags

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
This is why i don't want a car with keyless go.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Keyless go on its own isn't such a problem (still not ideal) - the real problem is when its teamed with keyless entry.
Might as well leave the keys on the seat if you don't protect them in a faraday cage.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Keyless go on its own isn't such a problem (still not ideal) - the real problem is when its teamed with keyless entry.
Might as well leave the keys on the seat if you don't protect them in a faraday cage.

i know MB have the buttons on the door handles tp press for keyless entry but most cars with keyless go need the 'fob' to have a button pressed on them to unlock the car. iven that fact, how hard is it to then put said 'fob' (or key blade) into the switch then start it?

ignoring that fact, i do think that having a system that requires no buttons on the 'keyless' unit to be pressesd to enter the car (ie the button is on the car rather than the fob) is not exactly great, from a security point of view.

also, once started, i wonder how far you can drive, assuming you dont shut off the engine etc, without the keyless fob? i mean a car doing 40mpg with a full tank of fuel, started outside the owners house like this, the car could be 500 miles away without even stopping for fuel!!!! or is there a point where the car senses the 'fob' isnt present and kills the engine?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom