New car delivery issue -Help

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
about 3 weeks ago I went to my local dealer to swop my CLA which is on Agility for a C Class Coupe. I did the usual, sat for most of the afternoon while I listened to my various options.
I finally settled for a stock car which had most of what I wanted, Premium plus, Grey Leather etc. Agreed the price, signed the paperwork and paid the deposit.
The Salesman told me it was available within the next week but I said I would wait until March 1st for the new Reg. This was agreed and he said he woul email out some regs to chose from. Same day I received email from Mercedes saying congratulations etc.
As I had heard nothing since and I was due to collect next Thursday I called Wednesday. Spoke with Salesman who said he would email the Regs and arranged my collection time for Thursday.
Yesterday the Salesman called me up and said there is a delay on your car and the collection date is showing as April 3rd? I asked how could this be possible as I was buying a stock car, sold to me as ready, I hadn’t ordered it to be made. He told me there was a delay with the petrol models once again I said how does that effect me, you sold me a car that was already made ? I told him I wasn’t happy and I wanted the car I had ordered and arranged to take delivery of next week. He said he would speak with his manager and call me back. Needless to say I’m still waiting, no call. I presume he will call me back today but I just want to know where I stand as I feel they may have sold the car to someone else and placed one on order for me and it’s not ready ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
if you had a date agreed on some kind of paperwork and they cant, wont comply i would say, go somewhere else . unless they can satisfy you another way ,like a proper loan car ,

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
if you had a date agreed on some kind of paperwork and they cant, wont comply i would say, go somewhere else . unless they can satisfy you another way ,like a proper loan car ,
Thanks, do you think they may have sold this car to someone else, they didn’t give me any copies of the paperwork I signed, just a receipt for the deposit . He said because I was exchanging on Agility it was all straight forward. Only realised about the paperwork yesterday when this happened?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Simply we don't know what the problem is, could be a number of things its all conjecture without the facts.
Just keep asking questions, it may help to speak to different people to build a more accurate picture.
Why they can't keep you accurately informed is just symptomatic of the malaise in customer service that pervades so many dealerships.

At some point if you are lucky you will get a survey to fill in.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Thanks, do you think they may have sold this car to someone else, they didn’t give me any copies of the paperwork I signed, just a receipt for the deposit . He said because I was exchanging on Agility it was all straight forward. Only realised about the paperwork yesterday when this happened?
I think you'll probably find that is the explanation- they found someone who would pay for and take the car immediately. (could of course simply be an error on their part). I would be tempted to go and have a look to see if the car is still there.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Worry not, I know it’s annoying but I would wait the extra time, ask for an appropriate free loan car and also ask for a free first service.

You are getting an equivalent car but even newer and one that’s not been sitting around stored in a compound.

Mind you I’m retired and becoming very fluffy these days.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
They were most likely using it for the tea rounds and crashed it :mad:
I'd go down there and walk about the place and see if you can find it ;)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
As Robin above, don’t worry about it’s very unlikely you will get to the bottom of what’s happened to that particular car and even if you do it’s unlikely to change the situation. I would however ask for some gesture from the dealership when your new car arrives, free service comes to mind.

It must happen a lot nowadays, dealers are networked nationally and cars can easily be sold twice, or as said to clinch a cash sale

redjules51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 220cdi 2008
I would suggest as others have said, get a hire car, free servicing etc etc. I'd stand in the middle of the showroom at its busiest time and make a horrendous fuss until my demands were met.
Slightly off topic but why are we expected to commit to or handover many thousands of pounds in advance without actually seeing the car first. We are at the mercy of a salesman who has forgotten our name and his promises the second we walk out the door. Its not just cars but can be furniture etc etc. Apart from our homes a new car is usually the second most expensive item that we are ever likely to make. One of the many reasons why I would never buy another new car.

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
Thanks everyone, sorry I have been in a meeting which is fortunately or unfortunately for them across from the dealership, I suspect they have sold it to someone who took it right away, I will be going over later this afternoon

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
This is when you find out how good your particular dealer is. I also suspect your car was sold to someone who could collect immediately and your new car is being built.

Keep calm and ask them what proposals they will make to keep you happy. Some free servicing, extended warranty etc are not to be sniffed at for a car arriving a month late.
The dealer have stuffed up and now its up to them to make good.

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
I’m sitting here now, the salesman is off today so I’m waiting to see the manager trying to stay calm

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. We're all human and mistakes do happen but what is annoying is the off hand manner we are sometimes treated to by a supplier when they fess up to a mistake. What intrigues me in your case is how the dealer can get a new car to your spec delivered by early April. That makes no sense. I suspect you will be in for a much longer wait.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would ask for a kidney you never know.

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
So I spoke with the manager who knew exactly who I was as soon as I started the conversation. He apologised and said that my car was still being built I asked why when the salesman sold me a stock car in a different colour than I had initially wanted. I said if I was going to get a factory build I would of got the colour and interior of my choice, not what I was told was available.I asked him if it had been sold to someone who was willing to take it right away he denied this saying as soon as I bought it it would have been tagged with my name and that wouldn’t happen So where is it I asked? He said the salesman must have been confused and thought it was available when it wasn’t or got confused with another car. I said well that was worrying for you as the salesman’s manager also came down and talked about the car so it’s not good a main dealership having lots of confused staff working there.
He asked me would I change the colour/spec ermmm no I also asked him why in 3 weeks since I paid the deposit and ordered the car no one had contacted me to say there was a delay/ mistake whatever and if I hadn’t called on Wednesday I could have been turning up for an non existent handover He agreed that wasn’t acceptable and asked me to give him some time to try and find me a car. Almost 40K and this is how you are treated, let’s see what he comes up with

OP
T

Typan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C class coupe
Don’t say that
Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction. We're all human and mistakes do happen but what is annoying is the off hand manner we are sometimes treated to by a supplier when they fess up to a mistake. What intrigues me in your case is how the dealer can get a new car to your spec delivered by early April. That makes no sense. I suspect you will be in for a much longer wait.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So I spoke with the manager who knew exactly who I was as soon as I started the conversation. He apologised and said that my car was still being built I asked why when the salesman sold me a stock car in a different colour than I had initially wanted. I said if I was going to get a factory build I would of got the colour and interior of my choice, not what I was told was available.I asked him if it had been sold to someone who was willing to take it right away he denied this saying as soon as I bought it it would have been tagged with my name and that wouldn’t happen So where is it I asked? He said the salesman must have been confused and thought it was available when it wasn’t or got confused with another car. I said well that was worrying for you as the salesman’s manager also came down and talked about the car so it’s not good a main dealership having lots of confused staff working there.
He asked me would I change the colour/spec ermmm no I also asked him why in 3 weeks since I paid the deposit and ordered the car no one had contacted me to say there was a delay/ mistake whatever and if I hadn’t called on Wednesday I could have been turning up for an non existent handover He agreed that wasn’t acceptable and asked me to give him some time to try and find me a car. Almost 40K and this is how you are treated, let’s see what he comes up with
Sounds like a fob off to me but seems like the manager is on the case.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The manager probably told the salesman to switch the order round in the first place!
- Presuming you still want to deal with them, I hope you go out of your way to make life difficult for the dealer!

It would however, as someone suggested earlier make good monetary sense (for you) to push for a loan car for the period you will be deprived of a new vehicle (and maybe at least one free service) due to their (to be kind) incompetence. Just watch your blood pressure!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom