1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New mot rules

Discussion in 'Motoring Related Discussion' started by alexanderfoti, May 7, 2018.

1. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    https://www-thesun-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3506420/the-mot-loophole-that-can-get-you-a-2500-fine-and-three-demerit-points-even-if-most-recent-test-is-valid/amp/?amp_js_v=a1&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQGCAEYASgB#amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3506420/the-mot-loophole-that-can-get-you-a-2500-fine-and-three-demerit-points-even-if-most-recent-test-is-valid/

I suppose this will mean a very very thorough look before the MOT for anything they classify as "dangerous" (have they posted a list???)

Should they fail it for an item on this dangerous list then it will need it be towed from. The MOT center.

Hmmm

2. d215yq

d215yq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1987 W124 300D 250k
    What's the fine in UK if you don't have an MOT? This sort of thing surely just encourages not bothering in the first place.

Here the fine is max 50€ for a first offence when an out of date sticker is shown in the window. However, if you take it to an MOT and it fails then the MOT centre (government owned) remove all the previous window stickers (even a currently valid one) and don't give you back any of your documents so it's then a 1,000€ fine if you are caught driving it.

As my MOT always seems to expire just before I need heavy use of the car and I don't fancy the threat of someone confiscating all my documentation while struggling to find a garage that can be bothered to fix it in under 2 or 3 weeks, I just do what everyone else here does and book the test when a window appears where I won't need the car, regardless as to if that's past the expiry date or not.

3. OP
    alexanderfoti

Your Mercedes:
    Yes, I agree. It should be made as easy as possible.

No MOT is normally a fixed penalty of £100 but can go up to £2500 if the car is not in a roadworthy condition when stopped.

All this does is facilitate independent garages with their own MOT facilities to gouge customers. As they will have no other option (Within reason).

I will still continue to do what I always do, check the car over as obviously as possible before MOT (Tyres, inside and out, Brakes, lights, suspension) then take it in.

4. Tony MB

Tony MB Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes Benz CLK 240 Elegance 2003 V6 petrol
    My wife has been had over a couple of times with garages failing her car and then touting for work. Now I insist she lets me take it to a testing station that only does MOT's and not repair work so they have no incentive to fail the car if it's roadworthy.

bembo449 and GLK like this.
  5. OP
    alexanderfoti

Your Mercedes:
    Absolutely, as many thinks are an opinion rather than quantifiable, its difficult to argue with them.

Tony MB likes this.
  6. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Ditto. The only exception is my trusted garage where I know he won't try to do that as we have had 'that' discussion before he did the first MOT. He's actually a very reasonable guy anyway and will usually mention something as an advisory when its a borderline fail on the understanding I will have it put right as soon as it gets home.

GLK and Tony MB like this.
  7. Tony MB

Tony MB Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I have the same understanding with my tester. On an odd occasion when he was concerned about whether to fail or not I insisted he failed it.

8. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A200 Avantgarde Special Edition Sports Coupé • C169
    I think that should be the law - if they do repair, or sell cars - no MOT testing.
    Removes the potential for abuse, and gives confidence to car owners.

I bought this car from a very nice dealer (not MB) with their own MOT (no advisories), took it to a trusted garage - OSR tyre was in shocking condition, and there was an advisory on last year's MOT. They paid for a new tyre (once the report, and a few pictures were emailed to them), but that situation should've never arisen.

Tony MB likes this.
  9. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    In smaller communities the stand alone M.O.T test station probably isn't viable.

Supervision is the key.

Westheath likes this.
  10. Tony MB

Tony MB Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    The one I use is in a smaller community (as in not a city), but they also do HGV, Buses,Motorhomes,as well as cars under the supervision of VOSA . They have 5 lanes for tests and can test any vehicle.
    I think that is the way to go.

GLK likes this.
  11. Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDI 2002 Fully loaded. 2014 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI. 2012 Suzuki Alto.
    I always take mine to the local authority/council depot as they have their own "in house" mot testing facility, they have to provide mot testing for the public when asked and charge the flat rate, obviously they will not undertake any mot work.

Tony MB and GLK like this.
  12. bembo449

bembo449 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    216 5.5 v8 , range rover vogue , 221 320cdi , alfa romeo brera
    MOTing has always been a license to print your own money and unfortunately there is that element in the trade who think it gives them the freedom to create work from it

Tony MB and GLK like this.
  13. Umarnewcastle

Umarnewcastle Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C220cdi 2002
    question is are these road are drive worthy ...................why not MOT certificate for them as well

14. Westheath

Westheath Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
    If you are not happy with your MOT result then you have due process to get it contested
    and a MOT station has more to loose than gain in being creative and generating work for themselves.

I have had one case in 25 years and the decision fell on our side and the customer still wanted us to do the repairs !!!

All over rusty brake pipes that disappeared through plastic under trays, tester cannot remove any enclosures but can fail on what can be seen, it was suggested that if vehicles are in for MOT and servicing then perform the service, advise the customer before the MOT of any problems.
    Problem is 70% of vehicles come in for just an MOT and haven't seen a service for years.

Umarnewcastle likes this.
  15. Taffy7hfa

Taffy7hfa Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDI 2002 Fully loaded. 2014 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDI. 2012 Suzuki Alto.
    Properly maintained vehicles wont have a problem, poorly maintained vehicles will.
    As above,a pre mot check is always worthwhile, especially on older cars.

16. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    I'm curious to know how the council MOT places will deal with all the abandoned cars waiting collection to be taken for repair....
    Strikes me it's another poorly thought out regulation that will probably result in cars passing when they shouldn't as garage owners won't want them cluttering the place up.

bembo449 likes this.
  17. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    But any MOT testing station could have deemed a car too dangerous to be on the road under the old rules. Nothing much has really changed.

Westheath likes this.
  18. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    I think what's changed is that you could drive the car to a place of repair aftercare fail under the old rules but now it has to be towed.

19. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    I thought the testing station could make you get it towed/trailers away before :confused:

20. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Only if it had a serious defect I thought?
    Pretty sure they couldn't force you to have it towed for a blown headlight for example.