New MOT rules

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
Right the time has almost come for that heart wrenching moment when you’re older car goes in for its MOT....
I don’t have really anything to worry about with my car but I am slightly worried about the emissions test.
When traveling along there is no smoke at all 70mph at a constant speed there’s nothing. When you’ve been driving gently for a while when you accelerate away harshly from a junction I have noticed I’m leaving a small cloud of smoke, not so dense that it’s causes a blackout but just a cloud that visible in my rear view mirror.
Also when idling there’s no smoke but rev it up and you do see some black smoke again not a lot just when you accerlate sharply.

I know that new MOT laws are coming in for DPF’s like any smoke of any sort you’ll fail, now my car doesn’t actually have a DPF so I assume this rule doesn’t apply to my car?
What I want to know is, is my car going to fail for some black smoke?
Btw I have a 2005 W211 E270.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Give the car a dose of injector cleaner and an Italian tune up. After a few miles and a bit of luck you should be well inside the emission limits.

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Give the car a dose of injector cleaner and an Italian tune up. After a few miles and a bit of luck you should be well inside the emission limits.
Do these cleaners actually work like they say they do? And not sure what you mean by Italian tune up, i assume that’s replacing things like air filters etc?

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think by "Italian Tuneup" they mean driving a few miles down the motorway in 3rd
My bad! I’ll remeber that term next time! Hmmm seems worth a shot! I’ll try and get some stuff this evening

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Do these cleaners actually work like they say they do? And not sure what you mean by Italian tune up, i assume that’s replacing things like air filters etc?
Yes they can work well, you need to get the engine hot and work it hard for as long as possible though, a quick 5 minute blast wont do much.. oh, and best to make sure the car is properly serviced before you rag the ar--se of it.

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes they can work well, you need to get the engine hot and work it hard for as long as possible though, a quick 5 minute blast wont do much.. oh, and best to make sure the car is properly serviced before you rag the ar--se of it.
So how long would you say to “floor it” for? By working hard I assume getting up to speed quickly on straight roads?
And it’s been serviced recently so that shouldn’t be an issue.
Can just imagine being pulled over and having to explain to the officer that this is how to keep my diesel burning clean :rolleyes:

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
3000rpm for an hour.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
I wouldn’t worry about any of it. Euro 4 and older diesels will smoke no matter what. Some more so than others, but that is the price you pay for no DPF. They will not fail it for not having a DPF, if it was not fitted to begin with.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers the other day but don't know how old it was. The mechanic guy on it used what was then a pretty new process on an XK8 where you disconnect the fuel line and connect an apparatus that supplies super pure fuel from special canisters plus some additives, and then runs the engine at around 1500 rpm for an hour. The difference it made to the emissions after this clean was massive. Don't know if it's widely available now and if it works for diesels (the XK8 was petrol)

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
I was watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers the other day but don't know how old it was. The mechanic guy on it used what was then a pretty new process on an XK8 where you disconnect the fuel line and connect an apparatus that supplies super pure fuel from special canisters plus some additives, and then runs the engine at around 1500 rpm for an hour. The difference it made to the emissions after this clean was massive. Don't know if it's widely available now and if it works for diesels (the XK8 was petrol)
This is it:

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Italian tuneup = drive it like it’s the last day on earth.

Terraclean - I got a quote for the SL, £130 and it would need two doses because it was a v8 lol.

Get it serviced, break some statutory speed limits, should be ok. I’m more worried about random warning lights coming on at MOT time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve seen this episode before I think this method is used I believe it’s called carbon clean? It’s my last resort at the moment! As I said it’s not what I would call bad but knowing this day and age a perfectly good car like mine will be forced off the road!

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Italian tuneup = drive it like it’s the last day on earth.

Terraclean - I got a quote for the SL, £130 and it would need two doses because it was a v8 lol.

Get it serviced, break some statutory speed limits, should be ok. I’m more worried about random warning lights coming on at MOT time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, I’ve done that a little on the way home from work it worked a little actually! I dare think what our SL will be like on its emissions! It’s been recently serviced using tip top oil! Where I live we’ve got a little place called the M45 which is perfect for reaching “such” speeds if you get what I mean!

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
3000rpm for an hour.
Jeeesus! Although these 5 cylinder engines are tough as old nails so I’m confident it’ll sit there all day! RIP fuel consumption!!!!!

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assuming your engine has no significant problems lurking in the background (clogged egr valve, leaky turbo oil seals etc.) you will notice a difference, it will encourage the catalytic converters to self clean, it will help pull any residual oil sitting in the bottom of the intercooler through the engine and may benefit the injectors as well.
Go on try it ;)!

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
The garage I used for my older cars used to put a bottle of Forte in the diesel tank which they reckoned made a difference. Not available everywhere but a good motor factors or Amazon should be able to supply.

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assuming your engine has no significant problems lurking in the background (clogged egr valve, leaky turbo oil seals etc.) you will notice a difference, it will encourage the catalytic converters to self clean, it will help pull any residual oil sitting in the bottom of the intercooler through the engine and may benefit the injectors as well.
Go on try it ;)!
There’s no indication of issues! It’s not been serviced not too long ago gives power superbly kicks down properly just the smoke!! You maybe right though I’ve been driving the car for the last 30 minutes and I feel like there is already no smoke but I have added some fuel stuff too! Surely it doesn’t work that quick!?

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The garage I used for my older cars used to put a bottle of Forte in the diesel tank which they reckoned made a difference. Not available everywhere but a good motor factors or Amazon should be able to supply.
I’ve put some alternative stuff recommended by others places it’s called Wynns?? So I’ve given that a try!

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
My old 270 was he same as yours, ran a couple of tanks of shell vpower through as well as some Forte cleaner and a couple of Italian tune ups to clear everything out, then on the morning of the mot I'd take it for a 30 minute run to get it hit and a one last Italian tune up for 10 minutes and the mot'er always asked how my car always had lower emission readings than newer stuff

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom