New MOT rules

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
For what it's worth, my 03 220 CDI smokes like crazy if you floor the pedal at low speeds. It always passes the emissions test with no problem, and just did so again on Tuesday. The MOT man says a lot of it is soot left in the exhaust, because I generally drive like an old lady.
This does fill me with hope, fingers crossed it’ll be fine, it’s booked in on the 19th may so I’ll soon find out!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Oh! My bad! I don’t know where I got that from! I find it impressive they got over 300bhp from that engine in the early 90’s!
They bolted a couple of turbos to it, did a few other (fairly trivial) tweaks and got over 700hp from it in the back of the Sauber C9 and later in the Group C Le Mans Mercedes C11! Also used in the CLK-LM with a 'paltry' normally aspirated 600hp (in 6.0 litre form). The CLK-LM then became the second generation CLK-GTR race car and was so all conquering no other team entered the class the following year and the class was canned.

The M119 is thought by many to be Mercedes finest engine ever. I have one in my r129 so I could of course be biased but it is a cracking engine.

OP
Adamki83

Adamki83

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E-class, 2005, E270CDI (2.7) + 1992 Mercedes 500SL (R129)
:(
They bolted a couple of turbos to it, did a few other (fairly trivial) tweaks and got over 700hp from it in the back of the Sauber C9 and later in the Group C Le Mans Mercedes C11! Also used in the CLK-LM with a 'paltry' normally aspirated 600hp (in 6.0 litre form). The CLK-LM then became the second generation CLK-GTR race car and was so all conquering no other team entered the class the following year and the class was canned.

The M119 is thought by many to be Mercedes finest engine ever. I have one in my r129 so I could of course be biased but it is a cracking engine.
Wow! It’s amazing how the development of the engine has come along! And how much power it was able to make out of the solid lump, I had no idea the same basic engine was used in the Sauber!
Having driven our R129 I must agree that it is one fabulous engine, it’s fast when it wants to be then a nice comfortable cruiser when it wants to be!
Can’t wait to get back in it again! I think the brake pipes need changing though :(

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
I generally drive like an old lady.

This is the crux of the matter, when driven as if stolen, there is rarely ever any issue with smoke.

I have been a long time aficionado of diesel vehicles mainly due to the torque available, the fuel economy and efficiency, every one I have owned has been driven as if I had stolen it with no problems or issues, I love them.

It's the gently driven cars that have problems.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
This does fill me with hope, fingers crossed it’ll be fine, it’s booked in on the 19th may so I’ll soon find out!

You need to stop worrying about it. The new rules only affect cars that are fitted with a DPF, which is everything Euro 5 and newer. Yours will be Euro 4 and as such while a DPF was optional possibly, it is highly unlikely to be fitted. Yours will smoke no matter what, as there is no filter to catch the soot particles.
If you want to be sure run your VIN and look for option 474, but I am fairly certain it will not have it.

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Oh! My bad! I don’t know where I got that from! I find it impressive they got over 300bhp from that engine in the early 90’s!

I think the rover V8 was that one - it was a GM design that was redesigned by rover in the 60s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
This is the crux of the matter, when driven as if stolen, there is rarely ever any issue with smoke.

I have been a long time aficionado of diesel vehicles mainly due to the torque available, the fuel economy and efficiency, every one I have owned has been driven as if I had stolen it with no problems or issues, I love them.

It's the gently driven cars that have problems.

However if you spend 100k using the throttle like a switch then they tend to bin gearboxes or torque converters.

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500

+1 for this.

M119 best engine. The M113 is basically a redesign without “full throttle enrichment” and three valves per cylinder for emissions purposes.

IMHO The M112 in the W211 isn’t a patch on it for noise and refinement, and it’s a lovely car to drive!

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
However if you spend 100k using the throttle like a switch then they tend to bin gearboxes or torque converters.

Ok, I may have exaggerated slightly, I'm not quite that bad, I don't treat the go pedal like a switch, I tend to roll on the power, and basically drive the car with a little gusto, none of the Driving Miss Daisy stuff. (Unless She Who Must Be Obeyed is on board) :D:D

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Ok, I may have exaggerated slightly, I'm not quite that bad, I don't treat the go pedal like a switch, I tend to roll on the power, and basically drive the car with a little gusto, none of the Driving Miss Daisy stuff. (Unless She Who Must Be Obeyed is on board) :D:D

My dad does, which is why I call him serge lol

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom