New (to me)W204 2008 C180T Engine oil advice please.

Gibralmoro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Benz C 180 Kompressor Estate, 2008 271 engine - v.low mileage
Just taken delivery of second hand C180 T (115Kw) with such low mileage (44k only) and in showroom condition externally and inside. that I could not walk on by ! and it was petrol !
I have always carried out my own maintenance and used Mobil 1 engine oil in my last Mercedes until she reached 70k, thereafter semi-synthetic.

Would experienced members recommend Mobil 1 for my new Merc ? The service book shows Mercedes Benz main dealership servicing from delivery in 2008 to the present. If Mobil 1 considered unnecessary expence.

My 18 year owned 1998 C250TD Estate served me very well, never let me down, but the body was looking tatty (usual places) and mechanical parts were starting to need TLC (2 new diesel heaters replaced this year) so it was time to move her on.

Advice would be much appreciated. Mike

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mobil 1 will be fine for it if that is your preferred oil.
I wouldn't use Semi Synthetic oils in that car as they don't meet the required MB229.5 spec.

OP
Gibralmoro

Gibralmoro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you to both contributors so far - good sound advice, Mobil 1 is not really my preferred oil LostKiwi, its just that I have used it in the past and it has seemed subsequently to have done a good job. Would you recommend an oil of of another manufacturer of similar or better quality within the 229.5 spec ?

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thank you to both contributors so far - good sound advice, Mobil 1 is not really my preferred oil LostKiwi, its just that I have used it in the past and it has seemed subsequently to have done a good job. Would you recommend an oil of of another manufacturer of similar or better quality within the 229.5 spec ?

I use Mobil 1 in my car, it is good but the price of the genuine MB oil on E-Bay is a no brainer cost wise so I will be using that in future

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

If it meets the spec its fine to use. For me there is a lot of hype about this oil or that - I've never had issues with longevity with any oil choice I've made (and some cars have gone in excess of 200k miles and only had issues elsewhere - tinworm anyone?).

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
As JBell , I'm a 20L MB 229.5 man , at £50+ delivered its a no brainer for me . Mobil 1 is too expensive .

OP
Gibralmoro

Gibralmoro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you for your experienced views, I still have 6 ltrs of Mobil 1 ( now probably about 5 years in stock) which I will use up on the next lube oil & filter change then buy in some MB 229.5, it obviously makes sense to go forward using that, as the present price of Mobil would eat holes into my Motor Industry pension ! Thank you also for supply info. re the genuine MB 229.5 oil ( I presume there is no risk that some of the presumed genuine MB oil is a cheap blend from eastern europe packaged to look real - there is so much counterfeit junk floating about these days - particularly on e.Bay and other market sites !)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thank you for your experienced views, I still have 6 ltrs of Mobil 1 ( now probably about 5 years in stock) which I will use up on the next lube oil & filter change then buy in some MB 229.5, it obviously makes sense to go forward using that, as the present price of Mobil would eat holes into my Motor Industry pension !

IIRC they take 7 liters

Thank you also for supply info. re the genuine MB 229.5 oil ( I presume there is no risk that some of the presumed genuine MB oil is a cheap blend from eastern europe packaged to look real - there is so much counterfeit junk floating about these days - particularly on e.Bay and other market sites !)

It is being sold be a MB dealer

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom