New Tyres or Snow Tyres for C250 Sport

tylo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI Sport & W124 TE220
Hi

Im driving a C250 Sport and after last year am dreading winter. Although I love my car, its horrific in the snow, slush, ice. I ended up filling the boot with water barrels to try to get traction, but still got stuck everywhere!

Anyway, not I have moved jobs out to the country, where winter is going to be much worse. My rear tyres desperately need changing but knowing that new Conti Sports are going to be just as bad as bald ones! So im spending the money on new useless tyres anyway, am i not better holding off on the normal tyres and getting snow tyres for now?

What I need to know is:

Will they make much difference?
Can I change the wheel size (from 17s)?
Can I put just two rears on or will this reak havock on the half tread tires at the front?
How expensive is it going to be?
Am I better to fit 4x steels and just have it looking a bit crap over winter?

Any help appreciated and sooner rather than later, need new tyres by next week.

thanks

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
This has been discussed in many threads. Try doing a Search and have a read!

OP
T

tylo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looked through the other threads, i did find out that I will prob have a problem putting on smaller wheels. But other than that Im still looking for answers to my other questions.

Ultimately I would like to know whether people think it will actually make enough difference to justify going to all the hassle or finding and paying for four new wheels and snow tyres.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
You owner's handbook will guide you on tyre sizes.

I would only fit a complete set of winter tyres. Fitting to only one axle can only lead to instability.

Whether it makes enough difference to justify the cost / hassle will be very much a personal opinion.

One thing to note is winter tyres are not just for snow but all low temp conditions.

My own experience (this is the first year I have fitted winter tyres) so far is that grip in the wet and salty conditions is better than my 'summer' tyres. If the forecasts are correct I will find out about slush and snow handling later this week!

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
If you have the bigger 'Sport' brakes like some of us have on our 203's you will probably be stuck with 17" rims. Instead of the 245 / 225 set-up the manual recommends 225's all round although you need 7.5J rims for this configuration instead of the 8.5Js fitted to the rear.

We spend a lot of time in the French Alps and a lot of the locals seem to keep their winter tyres on all year round even with temps in the mid-30's in the summer. The French are quite canny so if they wore out in 5 minutes I'm sure they wouldn't do this.

If you need a complete set of tyres now I'd be inclined to take a punt and fit winter ones all round especially as you live in Aberdeen.

OP
T

tylo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great, thank you

Yes I got to test out my nearly bald tyres int he snow this morning and didnt fair very well, although the boy racer in the corsa, who tried to overtake and ended up in the crash barrier faced worse!

I think im going to see if I can find some cheap steels/winter tyres, 225s all round.

If I can find any that is. :)

I looked at the wheel sizing page, went ove my head a little. Just to check...I looking for 4x 7.5J ?

Last edited:

Iain the gadget

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 230CLK W163 ML270cdi
Am I better to fit 4x steels and just have it looking a bit crap over winter?

One word. YES!

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom