Newbie Hello and which Benz?

monkeynuts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just a quick hello and some background, I am mainly from a VW background and have been tinkering with them for 15 years now have. I currently have 2 MK2 golf 16v's and a 1977 VW derby (polo with a boot in bronze, like a mini 300 ce with out the power, build quality, style or handling in fact nothing like a 300 ce :D ).

However I have grown up with merc's as well as my father has owned a C reg 280E for the last 17 years (one of the last I believe) and my brother also recently just sold his 1973 220 which was a fantatsic.

Maybe I am getting older and wiser but over the last month or so I have been seriously thinking about getting a Benz and now my mind is made up, but am having trouble picking a model for my budget.

I don't use a car to commute so mpg is not a massive issue. I would like the car to have similar performance to the Golf GTI but with nicer motorway cruising and generally have a higher level of refinement.

I have a maximum spend of around 5-6K but that a limit not a target.

the shortlist is

E320 straight six model saloon (maybe stretch to a V6)
E320 coupe
C180 Kompressor
E300 24v coupe
E300 saloon

Any other suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have done a fair bit of research but would like to here from people that have real world experience.

Many thanks

Neil Plumridge

Reaction score
old GTI or new GTI? If you want new GTI perfomance just buy a horse and cart ;)

seriously, my recomendation would be to buy an Audi for that money. I just part-ex'd my 1999 A6 for £4k (It did have 160k on the clock). You could get a A6 with a big engine for the sort of money you are looking at and for that age you'll get better performance and better build quality/reliability. I'm sure I'll get shot for saying this on an MB forum, and I do currently own a Merc but I think for the sort of money you are looking at you could end up buying a very expensive cheap car (if you see what I mean).

Seeker_UK

Reaction score
Forget the C180 and find a C230K sport or C280 sport or C36 AMG but research the history beforehand - the C36 can be a money pit if it's been abused.

A 300E-24 Saloon will cost you £2K for a minter - there's a cracking sportline one for sale on Autotrader at the moment. W124 E320 saloons are like hens teeth and those that turn up are usually very miley.

190E 2.6 or 2.3/2.6-16

V6s will cost you more than a straight 6 for servicing (12 spark plugs) for little improvement in fuel consumption so I'd look for a W210 E430 which will cost about 5 or 6K and go like stink.

leylandp38

Reaction score
I have to agree on the 300-24. It's an undersung motor having come out before the mid-90's model change but it is the highest revving of the Merc straight 6's (7000 rpm redline) and good for (I think) 116 HP. It is also as bulletbroof as its 12-valve predecessors and shares a lot of the advantages of the later motors, all for a much lower price tag. Buy one for the £2k mark, enjoy it, and if you change your mind later its a small investment.

I may of course be biased, but my 300TE-24 estate is a stonker.:p

Al

OP
M

monkeynuts

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the advice, i like the sound of the an 300e 24 saloon or e320. i am in no rush to buy so I think I will drive a few and spend a few months finding a decent one. I love the look of the newer e430 but from all the stuf I have read on this forum about the w210 and build quality issues it has made me think again. Is the 5 speed auto option worth seeking out, does it offer a better driving experience?

Neil Plumridge

Reaction score
my C240 has a 5 speed auto and on the whole it's pretty good (a little jerky in the first couple of gears but generally very smooth).

Post us some pictures when you finally get one. Good hunting....

Top Bottom