Newbie - Just got myself a 2004 SL55 AMG

OP
J

J4JAV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG
Whilst it is in the bodyshop we are going to have a go at the bushes, I have left them to soak in some WD40 and going to see if that helps. Probably will give it another go over the weekend.

As for the rest of the car, once it is out of the bodyshop, it will be a full major detail done by myself. Restore all the leathers. Steam clean the carpets, probably will take the seats out. Steam clean the engine bay etc... Probably will go through a 2/3 day detail. Will take plenty of pictures for sure. Can't wait to pop in the brand new AMG mats either!

Then it will be hopefully ready to enjoy over the Summer!

I do have a few niggles that need sorting in the interior, the drivers door card pocket it a little loose on the right side end and does not shut fully. I haven't took it apart just yet.

I can only find a couple of replacements in the whole world for sale as it needs to be Alpaca Grey, but both sellers was silly money for them (over £200) and will not split the door card so I can buy just the pocket. If any one knows a fix for this without having to buy a door card/pocket then that would be amazing!

My second niggle is the centre console box, the last owner who had it when his PSE pump went ended up prying it open when it was locked and broke the lugs at the front so he could get his belongings out before selling it!!!

Again a replacement is just too overpriced in Alpaca Grey, is there a fix?

P.S ended up fitting the magnetic ABC filter, cost nearly half the price to send back and it looks pretty cool in the engine bay, also helps to show the fluid is still clean and green. Hopefully it will be of some use later down the line!

Thanks guys!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Malcolm has a fix on the door card map pockets in the DIY section.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Does the car skip/kick at all the different ride heights?
The reason I ask this is that for the last 4 days I have had mine set on its highest setting and this has reduced the kick quite significantly when hitting the deeper pot holes and ruts in the road. I am guessing something is not right with mine and will have it checked out by Giles. My car has also been fitted with lowering links or I am certain it has as there are small red adjustable rods under the rear suspension :confused:
If the car is set at the lowest point it doesn't ride nice and does jump and kick like a mule over our Fenland luxury roads :shock:

You should get the load adjustment process carried out on star after they have been lowered. Many don't. Also if its lowered too much then that will affect ride comfort.

RyanThompson

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
None
Hello everyone! I'm Ryan Thompson lives in California, USA. I am in love with Mercedes Cars and I want to buy my first Mercedes. I think this forum will help me alot to choose the right one.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hello everyone! I'm Ryan Thompson lives in California, USA. I am in love with Mercedes Cars and I want to buy my first Mercedes. I think this forum will help me alot to choose the right one.
Welcome Ryan, indeed it will...there is an introduce yourself section on here if you want to tell us more....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Depends what your aspirations and needs are Ryan?
Do you want sporty top down fun, or practical wagon stuff or...?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thanks for welcoming me John. Can you tell me which Mercedes should i buy?

Welcome to the forum. I think the first thing for you to do is start your own thread in the introductions section of the forum and set out your requirements for what you want in a car, then you will get alot more advice.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom