Newbie W202 C200 owner - couple of intial probs!

photoluka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Estate Esprit 2.0 1998
Hi Alll

Firstly hello I've recently bought a 1998 C200 Auto Esprit Estate and am generally really pleased - it's immaculate for age, no rust everything working. First car I've felt proud to own!

I'm determined to do more DIY on this car but am pretty much a novice but given the age/price I paid I want to do as much as I can myself for a change!

I have two small (hopefully!) problems. Other than these the car drives lovely.

1: The shift stick sometimes won't stay in D and you have to nudge it slightly and make sure its light comes on. Generally once it's there it's fine, but on setting off you have to make sure. Is this a bush problem on the bottom of the stick or some other adjustment? Any links/guides appreciated.

2: Their is an intermittent chirping from the belt I think. It doesn't seem to be related to the A/C which i read about. Doesn't happen when driving, tends to be when idling or very briefly when first touch accelerator. Is this relateed to the tension on the belt? Any advice/guides much appreciated!

Realised this maybe better posted in the DIY section but was introducing myself as well. Cant work out how to move it to another thread but admin feel free to do so or I can repost

Thanks
Luke

Last edited:

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Hello and welcome. Can't answer your questions I'm afraid but someone esle will be along soon to advise. I'm a massive fan of the 202. I've got 2 of them. You're off to a good start to fin a rust free one. Look after it and it should last as long as you want to keep it. Had my C200 nearly 7 years now. Virtually rust free too, 142k miles and going strong. Got to take it to my indy on Saturday to have some cluster bulbs replaced. Could do myself in theory but the cluster's a bit tricky to pull out and I'd rather leave it to my guy who has done loads. Good luck with yours.

OP
P

photoluka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Graham - yep hope someone can advise. It's done a 145k but feels lovely to drive. Vast improvement on a Nissan Primera (2004 blown head!)!

Just want to get these bits sorted and hopefully learn how to myself if there is a clear enough guide/steps for a novice!

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
You'll find lots of help on here. Although I've always been rather car savvy, our Mercs have some peculiarities and I've learnt a hell of a lot about them from this forum (and the other one!). Never yet had a problem that hasn't been fixed !

taxii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200, 1996, 2000
Im a recent new owner of the 202 as well and although mines got a little bit of rust it's nothing that I can't remedy and I love the car. Such a cossiting ride as well. I love the little thoughts mercedes put into them like colour coding the chrome trim around the windows to match the colour of the tints and having it back to normal around the rest of the car. With mercs it seems to be the little things that matter that you dont get from main stream stuff.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I do have the info for setting up the gear shift and yes some bushes can wear

OP
P

photoluka

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well from reading up on the internet I think I may need a new transmission bush for the auto transmission. I found a video guide on how to do it, but cannot find anywhere in the UK (Including ebay) where I can order this small bit of plastic! Any suggestions to this and my other queries....?
thanks
Luke

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom