Newby

Frank1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 55 AMG
Hi; my name's Frank, I hope you don't mind me joining when I don't even have a Mercedes. I'm looking for an SL 55 AMG or an SL600.
I've looked at Porsche, Maserati, Aston Martin and Bentley, but I keep coming back to Mercedes.
So; Hi everyone, please feel free to jump in with any advice and guidance you may have.

P.S. Forgot to say, this would be a used car, say 2005 ish. Thanks.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Frank, welcome to the forum. :)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Frank and welcome to the forum. That is certainly an interesting list of brands that you have been looking at but you are right to keep coming back to Mercedes! ;)

Personally, I don't know anything about the SLs but there will be a lot of people on here who can advise you.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hello; Frank;

What's; your; budget;?

OP
F

Frank1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 55 AMG
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I was thinking £20,000 (more for some of the brands listed) there are lots of nice SL 55 AMGs out there in this price range.....

Do you think the AMG would be better quality than the SL 600, are they built on different lines?

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Hello Frank1 and welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Owners (MBO) forum.

Feel free to get in touch with myself if you have any queries.

Please note that we are currently running an offer on MBO membership for anyone joining the MBO club.

Blue Membership £25 (RRP £30)
Silver Membership £42 (RRP £55)

For further information visit: http://www.mercedesclub.org.uk/join-us/

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Frank, welcome...
Regarding your SL's, couple of points there..
SL600's rarer than hen's teeth, you will struggle to find one- I looked for about 2 years to no avail, ended up with an SL500, well specced one...
SL55's you will find c2005 without any great problem, IMO the build vs a 600 would be similar, the 55 will give you more thrills and AMG noise, the 600/V12 is a quiet beast...
So, SL's around that age 500,55 or 600 will have ABC components and likely SBC system. Do research on here on both- summarising they are fantastic when working, fantastically expensive when they go wrong. Budget to have a nest egg for such a possibility then if you are lucky and have no issues you will have some nice savings!
This is not meant to put you off- I loved my SL- just to be realistic when you budget a price for buying your car, its unlikely to end there...

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Good points by John. Remember it's an £80k when new car with £80k when new running costs.

This forum is the best place going for advice & support on the R230, there are a number of inexpensive mods that you can do (all in the DIY section) that will result in much saved anguish or gnashing of teeth.

SL600 not worth it, the coil packs are a known weakness and they're a grand a pop. ABC is utterly sublime, it's superb BUT as both John and I know, it's costly IF it goes wrong. However that cost has come down over the last year or so, dependent on what needs doing.

Good luck in your search!

OP
F

Frank1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 55 AMG
Hi Guys; sorry for not answering sooner (I've been away)

Thanks for your feed back, there's a "600" for sale on Auto Trader, but I'm not sure about the colour (fussy git)
An SL 55 (F1) would be nice, but there are none of those around at the moment.

Your advice on keeping money back for potential repairs is well heeded, thanks.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Hi Guys; sorry for not answering sooner (I've been away)

Thanks for your feed back, there's a "600" for sale on Auto Trader, but I'm not sure about the colour (fussy git)
An SL 55 (F1) would be nice, but there are none of those around at the moment.

Your advice on keeping money back for potential repairs is well heeded, thanks.
No probs!
I'll have a quick look at the 600 when I've a minute.
There was an SL55 F1 at the AMG private lounge meet I was at on 9th. April, wish I'd paid more attention, I've a feeling it was for sale- in saying that your budget would be stretched with that!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Couldn't find anything on Autotrader but found this..
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C854970
If the work is genuine (only thing I question is how he uses the words 'front ABC legs') then youre looking at a proactively maintained vehicle with MOST of the issues dealt with. No mention of ABC pump and fluid changes, I'd be asking about that if I was going for it....

OP
F

Frank1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 55 AMG

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Don't know what you mean Frank- Jasper blue in my opinion is stunning ! That looks a well sorted motor on the face of it, specification is good except it lacks the panoramic roof which is really weird in a high spec like that one, with every other extra! Don't like the wheels either but that's an easy fix
No mention of the ABC and SBC history but again that could be explored. The dealer sells some top stuff I notice

OP
F

Frank1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 55 AMG
I don't like the wheels either, but easily changed as you say.
I like the interior, perhaps the blue is ok.....

I've only seen it in the pictures, I'll go and look at it.
What are the best ABC / SBC questions to ask?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Have you ever had water ingress in the boot? (Check boot carpet).

When was the ABC flush done last? How often do you have it done?

Look at colour of fluid. Dark green is new/ clean. Brown is used. Black is RUN FOR THE HILLS.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the ride height button is used does the car go up smoothly or jerkily corner by corner? Is it silent or can you hear creaks? Do the engine revs drop when the button is pressed or stay level?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The best question really is what work has been done (if any)- that might be self explanatory as they mention loads of service history so trawl through that.
So things you need to look at:- (off the top of my head but I'm sure I'll think of more, or someone else will chip in...)
- Check under that car and look at the struts specifically, any oil on or around the strut
- Raise the suspension up and down several times and see if the car responds correctly, importantly does it settle evenly on all four corners
- Check the condition of the ABC fluid on the dipstick (its small but easily identified!) is it light brown or even better green ish, see if the levels are right (dipstick has readings on both sides)
- Check the boot- lift the divider into the spare wheel area and check if there are any signs of wet/moisture especially left side where the PSE pump is
- Check the SBC hold is working by pressing the brake pedal (engine on!) , then a further press- SBC (hold) should be displayed on the dash
Sorry a bit long winded...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom