NEWLY FRUSTRATED

Randall Andrus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 380SL and 1997 SL320
I am new to this site and hope that I am providing this information in the correct area. I am located in beautiful Vancouver, Canada. I am the very fortunate owner of 2 MB autos. The first is my 1985 380 SL of which my father was the original owner. The car has been in my hands now for many years and cared for implicitly. The second is a recent purchase of a one owner 1997 SL 320. Its a beautiful senior lady owned specimen, with less than 100m miles, garaged everyday from its purchase, never seeing any ill weather.

Unfortunately I dropped the key (fob) last week and watched as it exploded on the walkway in front of me. I put it all back together properly and was very pleased to see that it worked immediately, operating the locks, the windows, everything electronic. Unfortunately when I turned the key over to start the car, the immobilizer has been engaged and I cannot start the engine! I would be so grateful if anyone out there can please tell me how to reinstate the key (fob) so that it can over-ride or re-establish itself with the immobilizer.

Any assistance at this point would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Randall

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Randall
Can’t answer on that model but someone will be along soon with some advice

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I know I’m later model there is a way to re sync the key to the car by pointing at the rear view mirror and pressing the lock and unlock buttons for a few seconds each, I’m not sure if it would be the same on your’s though but might be worth a shot.
Think it’s hold for 10 seconds each but don’t take what I’m saying as gospel i May be imaging the whole thing

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Randall, welcome to the forum. :)

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Unfortunately, you probably wont like this, but the key has a very small silicone chip in the case, that de-activates the immobiliser. Its likely this flew off when the key exploded:

1993681d1476267418-1997-w202-c230-wont-start-after-mercedes-remote-key-fob-case-swap.jpg

OP
R

Randall Andrus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1985 380SL and 1997 SL320
Unfortunately, you probably wont like this, but the key has a very small silicone chip in the case, that de-activates the immobiliser. Its likely this flew off when the key exploded:

1993681d1476267418-1997-w202-c230-wont-start-after-mercedes-remote-key-fob-case-swap.jpg
I am now officially SICK ... I have reopened my FOB and it is missing. It must have piped out when the key FOB opened up. I didn’t see it obviously but collected all the other parts. What’s worse is I have been told by MB that they no longer manufacture these keys!!
I officially now have a 1997 SL320 “paperweight” ... I have gone back out to where I had dropped the key and on my hands and knees cannot for the life of me, find the chip.

I take it then that this transponder communicates with the immobilizer. Does anyone know if it possible to somehow override the immobilizer and if that can be done would the vehicle startup? Or better yet, is there anywhere in the world that I could buy another key?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not that I know of, speak with Mark at replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk and ask his advice on how to replace the key.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
It must be possible to bypass the immobiliser I would have thought, given sufficient time/knowledge. The guys who fitted an immobiliser to my 964 in the late 90s took about 30 minutes to do it IIRC.

Probably not the subject for discussion on an open forum.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It must be possible to bypass the immobiliser I would have thought, given sufficient time/knowledge. The guys who fitted an immobiliser to my 964 in the late 90s took about 30 minutes to do it IIRC.

Probably not the subject for discussion on an open forum.

It's part of the ecu programming. So could be bypassed but it's almost certainly easier to program a new key. Both involve professional implementation.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Hi, you may well be able to buy a "valet Key" direct from Mercedes, they will need proof of ownership etc, and the vin number. I did this with my 2003 ML, and cost was about £35.
It is not a remote key, but will start the vehicle (and it has the transponder !!!!!), worth a shot.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
if its available, you may be able to cobble the transponder into your remote key, perhaps order 2 ?

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom