No Ignition Lights

schumacher

Reaction score
Hi
i own a 91 w124 200te. im having a few problems hopefully someone can help.
i went to start my merc today and have no ignition warnin lights when i turn the key on to start the car the position just before the car turns over.
the only dash lights to come on are the abs and the handbrake warning light no other warning lights are on.i guess for some reason the battery is not being charged,the car drove ok until the battery went flat an i broke down,
any advice would be of great help

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do check the fuse on top of the OVP relay

OP
S

schumacher

Reaction score
thanks malcolm ive already checked that.and ive changed the relay,

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The other thing that can happen is that the switches themselves can go open circuit, normally by turning the key and wriggling the key can make the fault come and go though difficult as the switch part is isolated from the key, I think that with a volt meter and the key turned on you could check if there is 12 volt going to the ignition circuits, if there is not, then it must be the switch

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Is it just the "ignition" (generator) lamp?
If so you have a fault in the alternator excitation circuit, most likely the regulator pack on the back of the alternator but it could be the lamp itself or a damaged wire to the lamp or alternator.
The reg/brush pack is easy to do about 15 quid should cover it.

When switched on the battery feeds a little power to the generator via the warning lamp, the reg pack uses this to excite (build up a magnetic field) the generator and make lots of lovely electric for all the cars needs, whilst the genny is running the warning lamp wiring provides a sample of the battery voltage to the genny so that it knows just how much lecky to produce. without this feedback/startup loop the genny just does nothing and the battery will go flat (if it is flat charge it with an external charger or battery damage may result).
You may have an electrical open circuit somewhere in the instrument panel or wiring failing to provide a battery feed to the warning lamp, it may be the ignition switch itself thats faulty.
You will need to study the wiring diagram to diagnose it properly.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As I read the post he is missing oil pressure -temp - and ign lamps

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Must be short of power to the instrument panel then.

OP
S

schumacher

Reaction score
Hi
thanks for all the replys.
i faintly remember having this problem about a 18 mths ago,
when the alternator went i had it reconditioned.
could it possible be the alternator again?
many thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do not think so, as the alternator has its own warning light that would glow when the engine was running, You must see if the ignition switch turns the 12 volts to the ignition circuits

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom