Noise from under car (when not moving) W220 S320

lordgaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S-Class S55 AMG 2000 / W220 S-Class S55K AMG 2003 / W163 ML270 / Jaguar XJR X350
Morning all -

My wife asked me to have a look at her car as it was making some strange noises from underneath..

I have just been out for a look and without ramps, I am unable to check things, but the symptoms are as follows so I wondered if anyone had any ideas at this stage.

Sat in park with the engine running, there is a low knocking rattle bordering on grinding from a position seemingly under the passenger seat/middle of car (from the outside)
When I put it into reverse, it gets more intense, neutral less, and drive comes again (it sounds like a loose exhaust, but I do not know why changing gear while stationery would affect the noise)

Maybe gear box related?

Any opinions welcome.

w220 320 2002

Cheers
Gaz

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Fingers crossed its the exhaust and not gearbox related . You should be able to shine a torch as the first measure on all the exhaust brackets to check them for anything obvious . Exhausts can throw up some funny noises . Bash things with a rubber mallet as well , even if it doesn't highlight anything it makes you feel like a man for doing manly things :D . Your wife will be impressed as well

Top Bottom