Noise pollution ....give me a break!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Maybe i am getting old but sitting here in my lounge having listened to the 5th supercar/RS/AMG/ricer go by i am getting pretty hacked off with the crazy levels of exhaust roar these days. Where i live this is a daily occurrence. I am no "stick in the mud" spoil sport as i do enjoy the lovely rumble of a V8/V12 and even own an SL500 and an Audi S5 myself but botb of these cars show restraint and refinement in their exhaust decibels. I wish there was more enforcement so that i can have some peace.

Whinge over.........i might feel different tomorrow when my sinuses settle down!

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
You mean you don't want to hang off the back of an old Harley while your arms ache annoying everyone with your sawn off exhaust ?

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
You mean you don't want to hang off the back of an old Harley while your arms ache annoying everyone with your sawn off exhaust ?
Most definately not! Luckily we don't suffer from many of the 2 wheeled variety.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Because the louder your car is, the faster it gets to 60 innit? ;)

I’m with you.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Around here it's Shitroen Saxo's, Peugrot 205's and ancient Fiesta's with a piece of drain pipe as an exhaust that get under my skin. They are so gutless that they seem to take an age to pass by and the 'orrible racket seems to go on for ever !! :alien::(:alien:

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Around here it's Shitroen Saxo's, Peugrot 205's and ancient Fiesta's with a piece of drain pipe as an exhaust that get under my skin. They are so gutless that they seem to take an age to pass by and the 'orrible racket seems to go on for ever !! :alien::(:alien:
Ricers, we get them too. We have someone with a 55 plate RS4 thats comes by and he must be on straight pipes!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Binnedit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 W216
Hmmm have to agree.

On a bike, it is argued my some as some sort of safety device, as drivers can here you're around. Seen and spoken to many fellow bikers with louder aftermarket pipes that have been stopped and ticket'd my the Rozzers. Manly because the pipes are in plain view and therefore it doesn't require lying on the ground with a torch to see if its stamped.

Never yet talked to anyone with a loud car exhaust that has received a ticket.

I'm not bitter at all.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Hmmm have to agree.

On a bike, it is argued my some as some sort of safety device, as drivers can here you're around. Seen and spoken to many fellow bikers with louder aftermarket pipes that have been stopped and ticket'd my the Rozzers. Manly because the pipes are in plain view and therefore it doesn't require lying on the ground with a torch to see if its stamped.

Never yet talked to anyone with a loud car exhaust that has received a ticket.

I'm not bitter at all.
You could always run a pipe straight thru' the silencer.. that would certainly give them something to consider before issuing the tickets.

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
We've got a roundabout 75m up the road one way and a speed hump about 100m the opposite way, and all the hoons seem to want to show how quick they can be going before they hit the hump, so they accelerate hard then brake hard. With the V8 Falcons and Commodores, they just hit second gear before they brake, but the Audi R8 is still in first as are the local Ferraris and Maseratis. Sound track is full bore acceleration, a moment of almost silence, then pops and bangs on the over-run and sometimes a crunch as the spoiler hits the hump. Don't think any would pass a noise test, not that we ever see a cop to do a test.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Aah but then to go with the straight through exhaust is the stereo, sorry sound system cranked up till the door panels flex.
We also have a few noisy Mercedes AMG + hurtling from one wine bar to the other then lobbed across the pavement seemingly abandoned till the driver scuttles out to launch the car to its next stop.
The odd naïve girl with plastered make up trying to keep her knickers covered drags her 6" heels over the sills and away it goes.
Its entertaining.
I grew out of the attention grabbing noise making at about 12 after putting cardboard sticks into my bike wheel spokes.

kid-jensen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml320CDI 2007
I live near the notorious "Mad Mile" (A217 near Sutton), which is famous for late night drag races and of course, loads of noise, mainly caused by crashing into road furniture.
I've got used to it now, and double glazing without air-vents has all but eliminated it, but in the summer it can be a pain.
Don't like to moan too much because with the Nazi-style traffic enforcement, Gatso cameras and Average speed checks, I'm amazed there any car enthusiasts left..

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I have to agree with Binnedit: How do these people drive around without being stopped and ticketed? I was passed on a dual carriageway a couple of weeks ago - a J Reg Renault 5 complete with go-faster paint job and chequered stripe. The noise it made caused significant vibration on the ground. On top of the noise, the road has a normal 70 mph limit, but this guy must have been doing 85.
- Maybe it's time they added sound to those safety tills -sorry, I mean safety cameras.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
And boom boxes (music?) can be heard 1/2 a mile away.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Its a bit like dog fouling, littering, graffiti etc etc all anti-social activities that seem to carry little risk for some.

Top Bottom