Noisy Back End on 300TE 1988

mark0803

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some advice?

I have a 1988 300TE with 139000 miles on the clock. There is no knocking but there is vibration and the whine is only present when accelerating - as soon as I back off the gas and drive at a steady speed it's all quiet again.

So.....is it the diff or prop? Or a failed drive shaft bearing? How big a job? How much? Any advice would be great it has been to 3 garages and each has come up with different things one thought it might need a complete new prop, someone else said that it it is in excellent condition including the rubber do-nut in the centre, someone else thought it might be the diff in the back axle, and another the gearbox.

I would like to keep the vehicle going but it would help if I had some idea of the problem without running into serious money. Thanks Mark.

Any advice appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The propshaft cant whine,only the diff. It depends on for how long the car has been run with the whine. The whine is caused when the pinion bearing fails, this allows the pinion to run out of mesh with the crown wheel, if the car has been run like it for a long period then the crown wheel and pinion will have out of tollerance wear on the gear faces. A new pinion bearing some times stops all of the noise, other times it may just reduce it. even with a secondhand unit there is no guarantee of how quiet it will be.
The only people who can do a good job are the diff rebuilders, it is very specialized service where the teeth of the crown wheel are blued and adjusted to give the correct mesh.

Malcolm

OP
M

mark0803

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Malcolm for your advice.

Mark

kiwi_bloke

Reaction score
Mercedes

I have had several Merc's 2 w124's and 1 190e that have diffs that whines. All between 100 and 166 k km. By whine i mean very quiet. But albeit a whine. I consider it to be normal for a used Mercedes and the current car has been doing it for 20 000 km with no issues or getting any louder.

Any others got any opinions on this?

Top Bottom